Geek Life

Geeky Confessions

#Geeky ConfessionsOne of the nice things about the geeky community is that it is just that, a community. And within a community it is easy to assume that people are more likely to have interests and experiences in common. However, not every geek is the same and different people’s geekiness can take on very different dimensions. And sometimes we let people make assumptions about us that are flat out false, just to save our own embarrassment.

Well, to that I say no more. I’m secure enough in my geekiness that I don’t feel the need to hide behind assumptions, and now I’m going to blow your minds with four of my biggest geeky confessions.

Bring your judgement, I can take it.

Ewok Confession This is probably a generational thing, as guys younger than me also admit to liking the Ewoks, but to most Star Wars nerds, the appearance of the Ewoks was on par with your feelings about Jar Jar Binks. But I have no trouble admitting I was obsessed with the Ewoks as a kid. I even loved the TV movies they did in the 80’s, although that damned spider scared the living bejesus out of me.

Harry Potter Confession And even then I only read it because it was assigned in a children’s lit class I took in my last year of University. It’s not that I didn’t like it, because I actually did. I guess I just never got around to it, and now I feel like a total Muggle. I guess its been so long now I feel almost embarrassed to start, but I understand their importance in current pop culture, so maybe it’s time I finally did something about this one.

Wesley Crusher Confession Yup. That’s right. I even have a lithograph bit of fan art of Will Wheaton somewhere in my parent’s house. Oh the things that helmet hair would do to my 12 year old loins… Suck it haters. I’ve always loved the nerd boys.

Zelda Confession This is probably my most shocking confession. Like I’ve mentioned before, we only had a handful of games growing up and I grew out of gaming sooner than my brother and sister. And I guess without that nostalgia, I just never figured out what the big deal was. Does this make me a terrible gamerwife?

What about you? Do you have a geeky confession? Share it with us in the comments or link up your post.

Jason Seip
    September 3, 2014 at 9:29 am

Heh, okay, here are a couple:

– I never had an NES, Super Nintendo, N64, or PlayStation (One). But my best friends had them, so I would play games at their houses.

– I love the Lord of the Rings films, but am only now reading through the books (as a consequence, I was totally surprised/sad when Gandalf fell into the darkness).

September 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Yeah… I’ve also never the read the Lord of the Rings… And I probably never will. But I did quote Tolkien’s academic work at Uni ;p

B
    September 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

I never finished the last Harry Potter book. I started it but it just didn’t grab me like the others. Also….I don’t care about Star Wars *runs*

September 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm

You scruffy nerf herder.

Stephanie Medeiros (@ohnerdjoy)
    September 3, 2014 at 10:17 am

I’ve only read the first Harry Potter book too, and yep, never played any Legend of Zelda game in my life either (but have watched many others play numerous ones). This is a great post, though!

September 4, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Thanks! Funny how much this seems to have touched a nerve.

September 3, 2014 at 11:25 am

I love the Ewoks too – they were giant teddy bears what’s not to like? My confession is I don’t mind Jar Jar. I’ve also never played a Legend of Zelda game (or I played one tutorial for the wii and just didn’t get it (the controls anyway, back when the wii was cutting edge technology)

September 4, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Yeah, I think Jar Jar might also be a generational thing. But I am old, so… yeah.

Megan Gotch (@thenerdygirlie)
    September 3, 2014 at 11:38 am

No really into video games and comics. Though I do like comic book movies 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, I spent a lot of time not being into video games, but I guess that’s changed. Also, comics can be super intimidating, but there’s such a huge range of things to choose from.

readerlygeek
    September 3, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I love ewoks too! I was shocked when I found out people hated them. The ewok movies were actually my first introduction to the Star Wars universe. Everything else related to Star Wars terrified me as a child.

September 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

lol. I wasn’t allowed to watch Empire Strikes back until I was much older, but I could watch the Ewoks all day long.

Jessica
    September 3, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Omg only one Harry Potter book? It’s NEVER too late, I would totally read the rest if you have the time! And I’ve never played Zelda either. My husband did though! 🙂

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

September 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, my husband has also played ALL OF THE GAMES, but Zelda is such a generational touchstone (especially for lady gamers) I still feel weird about it.

Jenn
    September 3, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I gotta say, I loved the Ewoks too. When it comes to Star Wars, though, I’m particularly partial to Jawas. You should totally read the rest of the Harry Potter series! They’re quick reads and suck you in. I’ve been dying to re-read the series lately, but I don’t own the books anymore sadly.

September 4, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Jawas!! Such sneaky little guys. I’ve been on a major YA kick lately, so maybe it is time to retry HP.

September 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

(I’m sure I already commented on this earlier) I love Ewoks too – they are giant teddy bears,how could you not love them? My confession is that I actually don’t mind Jar Jar. I’ve also never played Legend of Zelda, the only time I have is when we had the Wii version and I was new to the console so couldn’t get passed the tutorial!

September 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Yeah, I think those games (especially the first two) are a lot harder than people remember.

September 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm

i love your confessions! i never played zelda too. i always watched my brother play, but i bought the game on wii a few months ago and holy crap… i kept dying. how in the world were we supposed to beat certain stages with three hearts?! now in certain games when we die we either get resurrected in a short period of time! 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Exactly. And it was the first game to introduce a save state!

September 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm

There is certainly no right or wrong way to be a geek! Whatever you like, you like, end of story. So no, I definitely don’t think you’re a bad gamerwife. 😀 My confession? I am not a huge Star Wars fan. I mean, I enjoy the films, but I definitely wouldn’t consider myself a Star Wars geek – I don’t go nuts for them at all. The same applies to Star Trek.

September 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Yeah, I probably watched Star Wars 100 times before I turned 4, and Star Trek was our family TV show so I totally understand. I probably wouldn’t be as into these things as I am now if I hadn’t grown up with them.

September 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I. Love. The. Ewoks!! <3 <3 <3

As for the harry Potter books, I just finally read them a couple years ago, but I still haven't finished the last book!!!

Ahhh, Wesley! I crushed hard on him too and now I'm a fan of him on Tabletop, though the crush is definitely gone!!

And about Zelda…Me TOO! I've never, ever played any Zelda EVER! D: I just didn't get the chance to play a lot of current video games when I was younger and just felt like I totally missed the Zelda boat.

margot

September 4, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I knew we were kindred spirits. <3

Jane
    September 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Love your confessions. Yikes, I’ve never read the Harry Potter books. It’s kinda after my time. However, I am a big fan of Star Trek:TNG.

September 4, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Thanks! I think a lot of these have to do with what we grew up with.

September 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I love these confessions! Not having played any Zelda game, or not having finishted the Harry Potter series isn’t really a big deal. ^^
    I’m totally into Kingdom Hearts, but hardly anyone I know has ever played any of the games or even knows what it is…. =__= I usually get the deer in headlights look when I start talking about it lol!!! But I don’t care, it’s my passion!!! XD

September 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hmm, but my real confession would be that even though I love gaming, I only recently got back into it. A few years ago, I finished the second Kingdom Hearts game and well, let’s just say that I played for way too long and neglected to take care of myself whilst doing so (my sister was forced to place water and food next to me, so that I had nourishment…) after that I was a bit afraid to play any game again, but now I’ve got that in check!!! I won’t die in front of a game, that’s for sure.

September 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Yeah, I know a lot of people who had to step back from gaming for very similar reasons. Glad that you were able to recognize the issue and reevaluate your relationship to games.

Heather Sander
    September 3, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Th only one that really got to me was the wesley crusher one. But… if we’re being honest I had a real big crush on him, too. But my first real fictional crush was um, Link. >.> Because who doesn’t love a strong silent protagonist?

September 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm

hahaha. I don’t think I’ve had a fictional crush on an animated character, but hell’s yeah Wesley!

sophierocious
    September 4, 2014 at 2:09 am

Didn’t watch Star Wars until I was an adult. And…meh! >.<

September 4, 2014 at 4:13 am

I had no idea the ewoks were on the same par as jar jar binks – I wonder if jar jar will be super popular in a few decades time! I too have never played Zelda and I actually don’t really get Harry Potter (yikes – I don’t say that out loud too often)

September 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hehe. Again, I think a lot of it is generational. Can’t wait for my nephew to start rocking ironic Jar Jar shirts as teenagers. :p

Dani // The cat, you and us
    September 4, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hahaha, how many geeky confessions in common: We love the ewoks (secretly wishing they will be included in the new movies), I have only read the first book of Harry Potter (Damaris the first and the second one), and even though I’m a big Nintendo fan, I’ve never ended any Zelda I played (I always get a bit bored with it… shame on me?). About my Zelda ‘issue’ I think there is no solution, but about Harry Potter, and knowing how many people love the entire series, I think we will try to give it a second chance 😉 We have lots of more geeky confessions but I think it’s better to keep them in secret, we don’t need to gain enemies xd

September 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

In the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO you can eventually get a companion who is a female Ewok mercenary. Cannot wait until I level up high enough to get one.

Kerry
    September 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

I too, love the Ewoks. Return of the Jedi was the Star Wars film I saw in the theater as a kid, and – here’s my geeky confession – the only Star Wars film I really like.

I didn’t read the Harry Potter books until after the movies were well underway, but I’d recommend them (but, if you’ve seen the films, you’re not missing too much – is that blasphemy?).

I’m now trying to remember my first fictional crush…does Magnum P.I. count?

September 8, 2014 at 10:46 am

Totally! I thought he looked like my dad, so no crush there, but you gotta love a dude who can rock a good soup catcher.

Entertain Me! Geeky Confessions - Candyfloss Ramparts
    September 8, 2014 at 11:24 am

[…] over at Gamerwife recently posted her juicy Geeky Confessions, which got me thinking about what my own Geeky Confessions would be. I have many, but I decided to […]

Shauna S.
    September 10, 2014 at 11:25 am

Oh my goodness. I love watching Wil Wheaton teach and play tabletop games on YouTube. I used to play WOW and really miss it. When I buy my son toys I try to persuade him to get things I like too. Lol.

September 10, 2014 at 11:26 am

Ah! These are great confessions. Especially about the toys. I would totally do that too. 😉

izzygb2
    September 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I, too, love Ewoks. They were mini versions of Wookies & they had a pivotal role in overthrowing the Empire. I really disliked Jar Jar Binks, but not his kind in general; him specifically. He was just annoying. Maybe it was that he was given very annoying (slightly racist) dialogue?

I have never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I read The Hobbit as a child & loved it. Not sure why I didn’t move onto the LOTR. Maybe I’ll get around to it soon.

I only read the Harry Potter books after watching each movie because that way the movie doesn’t disappoint & the book is like a director’s cut after.

I’m an avid gamer but have always hated (yes, I know that is strong, but appropriate) games that require you to jump, but you can’t see your feet! I’m looking at your Metroid Prime, ruining my childhood nostalgia of the 2D scroller.

September 10, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Hahah! I am also totally useless at platformers, but 3D platformers are the worst. And yes, Jar Jar’s accent is more than just a little racist.

Natalie
    September 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I hope it’s ok that I joined in late! Looked like too much fun 🙂 I didn’t read all the Harry Potter book, either!! Hahah.

September 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm

No worries at all! There’s no time limit on this one, I just wanted to officially invite everyone to chime in since so many people seemed to have something to say.

ZaineyLaney
    September 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm

OMG I had a crush (no pun) on Wesley Crusher too! I look back and go…oh my the 80s!

September 11, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I remember being so sad when I heard that people hated that character. Speaking of 80’s crushes, did you also crush on Doogie Howser M.D?

Erini
    September 11, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I finally bought my first Zelda game last year… but played it once. Part of that is because switching from my Wii U to the Wii menu isn’t my favorite thing to do. (And I forget that I can do it)… but I also was just having a hard time in the game and wanted to give up. I mean, I did play the old NES Zelda games some — my brother had them — but again, it just wasn’t my thing, so I gave up. Plus, I got distracted by the SNES.

One of my high school friend’s mom used to make life-sized Ewoks. They were amazing — the animals this woman could create.. Just great. But of course, there was the legal issues about selling them…

September 11, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Life. Sized. Ewoks. !!!????!!! O_O

Sarah
    September 13, 2014 at 1:35 am

This is a great idea! I might have to do my own post. Also, I ave never played any of th Zelda games either, but to the horror of my fiance. I was always more of a Mario girl 😛

September 13, 2014 at 9:44 am

I’ve actually been really shocked at the number of people who also haven’t played Zelda. I’d been under the assumption it was ubiquitous. Can’t wait to read your other confessions!

Kristin | My Life as a Teacup
    September 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm

FRANTICALLY WRITING A POST ABOUT THIS!

My Geeky Confessions | Dezpresso
    September 14, 2014 at 11:43 am

[…] I stumbled across a blog post by Gamer Wife titled “Geeky Confessions“, which prompted me to share my own geeky confessions with […]

Celeste
    September 14, 2014 at 10:44 pm

This is a great post idea! Sword of Nerdom will be posting a Geeky Confession as well.

September 14, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Can’t wait to see it!

My Geek Confessions |
    September 15, 2014 at 6:03 am

[…] sure to check out Gamerwife’s post, and then write your own if you […]

My Geeky Confessions | The Shellosaurus-Rex Project
    September 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

[…] You can find them at Dezpresso and Scrawny Girl and check out the original post from Gamerwife. […]

Nat Marie
    September 16, 2014 at 10:10 am

I’m gonna break the chain and say that I have played almost every Zelda game. It’s never too late to pick it up, especially now since there are emulators for the older games (which I suggest for a first-timer to pick up before the Wii versions).

I’ve never been interested in Star Wars, but I was still too young to know about it back when the craze started.

Aaaand I have the attention span of a fruit fly when it comes to reading, so the Harry Potter series for me is out. I probably wouldn’t make it past the first book.

I added some of my own on my site, which is gamer-centric, since I don’t really have many fandoms outside of that. LOL.

September 16, 2014 at 10:22 am

Awesome stuff. Be sure to add your site to the link up widget while you’re at it. 😉

My Geeky Confessions | Readerly Geek
    September 18, 2014 at 9:00 am

[…] little while ago, Mariko of GamerWife wrote a post on her geeky confessions. I thought I’d join in on the fun and share some of my own. While I try not to be embarrassed […]

Celeste
    September 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

The ewoks were great. I loved those guys.

September 19, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I’m honestly considering dressing as one for Halloween this year.

Celeste
        September 21, 2014 at 3:27 am

That would be adorable. I’d love to see it happen.

September 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I’ll keep you posted. 😉

Geeky Confessions | My Shiny Life
    September 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm

[…] Although some people think all geeks are into the same things, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Our interests are vast and varied. Which is why I was totally stoked when the lovely Mariko of Gamer Wife started #GeekyConfessions. […]

Emilee
    September 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

You should totally pick up Harry Potter. Don’t be ashamed… I didn’t read them all until last year. I felt a little late to the game when I started it, but I’m so happy I read them. Any true Harry Potter fan will only support you, not make fun! Aha! <333

September 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, it’s officially on the list. I’m just so slow at working through that list. 🙁

My Geeky Confessions: A Gamerwife Link-Up | Geekphoria
    September 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

[…] are your geeky confessions? Do you share any of mine? Follow this link to see The Gamerwife’s original list, as well as all the other participants in the […]

Geeky Confessions | heart, soph
    September 23, 2014 at 3:22 am

[…] many people share my view on Dr. Who. I thought I was alone! Enjoy my Geeky Confessions and then join in the fun if you haven’t […]

Sailor July xo
    September 29, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Zelda is in my confessions post too! I’ve played, but have never finished a game. It’s definitely a goal of mine to finish EVERY LoZ game.

September 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Whoa, that’s ambitious! Way to be!

Iris
    October 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Yes, I am a dork/nerd/geek and darned proud of it. I have so many confessions but probably my most favorite is my WoW gamer tag, which I have also monopolized with my xbox account, as well as Blizzard’s Star Wars Galaxies, creating characters on the most popular realms. My vehicle has it as a custom license plate and my brother has even taken to calling me by its shorthand and I answer without a second thought. My gaming persona has definitely influenced me in real life.

October 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm

That’s so cool. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

geek confessions. « A Geek Tragedy
    October 28, 2014 at 7:21 pm

[…] has been a series floating around the Interwebs, originally created as a linkup by the Gamerwife, in which geeks & nerds share an open discourse regarding the less-hip aspects of our geekdom […]

Geeky confessions | The Student Tales
    February 17, 2015 at 9:30 am

[…] describe myself as a nerd rather than a geek, but I guess it’s all the same. Mariko from Gamerwife came up with this link up for our geeky confessions. Why? Because it’s okay if not all geeks […]

Liz Locksley – Geeky Confessions
    March 25, 2015 at 7:18 pm

[…] over at Gamerwife recently posted her Geeky Confessions and I decided I had to join the link up! I have like 400 confessions, but these are the ones I […]

Geeky Confessions | Pop Cultured Randoms
    April 5, 2015 at 12:09 pm

[…] in September, Mariko of the Gamerwife blog started a link-up getting us bloggers to admit our geekiest confessions. I started writing the post at the time, but […]

Geeky Confessions | Hey Liz
    September 20, 2015 at 12:34 am

[…] on September 14, 2014 Mariko over at Gamerwife recently posted her Geeky Confessions and I decided I had to join the link up! I have like 400 confessions, but these are the ones I […]

Geeky Confessions | Le Fancy Geek
    December 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm

[…] Mariko over at Gamerwife put together a list of her geeky confessions and has invited other bloggers to join her in […]

Friday I'm In Love #96 - Gamerwife
    February 7, 2016 at 4:42 pm

[…] finally, I have been absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the response to the #Geeky Confessions post & link-up. There’s no time limit on this one, so if you’re a blogger and you […]

Geeky Confessions | Meghan Sara
    June 18, 2016 at 3:31 pm

[…] around the blogosphere is a little link-up started by Mariko of Gamerwife.  Loads of other nerds have listed their geek confessions and I think it does the world some […]

• Penny for your thoughts...