Video Games

Female Friendly Video Game Websites

Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com

Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com While statistics back up the fact that the gender split for gamers is pretty much 50/50 these days, some video game websites still insist on sticking to a boy’s club aesthetic. You know what I’m talking about. Sites with listicles called things like ‘Top 20 Gaming Hotties of All Time’ or think pieces about how feminists are ruining games by suggesting that booty poopin’ poses for game characters might not be sending the right message.

Sure, things have gotten A LOT better since the 90’s and video game lad mags like PC Accelerator, but it’s also nice to know that there is a growing body of safe spaces for lady gamers online where women can read and share video game insights from a progressive, female friendly perspective.

Here are five of my favourite female friendly gaming sites:

Remeshed

Remeshed logo | Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com Okay, I guess I’m a little biased with this one since I do write for them, but one of the things I love about Remeshed is that they focus both on ladies as gamers and ladies as game makers. From think pieces to reviews to profiles of women game makers, streamers and advocates, Remeshed gives a broad view on women in the video game world. They’re also great at shining a spotlight on women in the growing field of eSports and advocating for women game commentators.

FemHype

FemHype | Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com FemHype is a fantastic site for longer form pieces on various video game issues from a female perspective. With a special focus on non-binary as well as female gamers and creators, FemHype is the place I go to when I’m looking for thoughtful pieces on romance, gender and identity. Also, their Sunday Loot feature is a fantastic roundup of inclusive websites, video game jobs and organizations helping to make video games a place where everyone can enjoying themselves.

Girls On Games

Girls on Games | Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com Girls on Games is a Montreal based website that focuses on video games and geek culture while committed to being a safe space for everyone in video games. They boast an inclusive, pro-equality, pro-diversity brand that extends into their weekly podcast and their Twitch stream team. As Montreal continues to grow as a hub for gamers and geeks, so too does Girls on Games with cosplayer profiles, geeky cocktail recipes, as well as the expected news, interviews, and reviews.

Gamer Women

Gamer Women | Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com Gamer Women is a recent discovery for me, and while they don’t have ton of content yet, what is there is a great mix of profiles of pioneering women like Carol Shaw and Doris Self as well as op-eds and the occasional listicle. Posting sporadically since November 2015, I hope that Gamer Women can continue their mix of historical profiles and recent interviews, creating a site that has a little something for everyone.

Not Your Mama’s Gamer

Not Your Mama's Gamer | Female Friendly Video Game Websites | Gamerwife.com Another recently discovery, Not Your Mama’s Gamer is another fantastic full-service video game website with a feminist, inclusive focus. From personal essays to the regular news and reviews, the writing on Not Your Mama’s Gamer is always whip smart and totally compelling. An excellent source for intelligent, intersectional discussions of games and games culture.

What are your favourite female friendly video game websites?

alexandrarosenberg
    July 7, 2016 at 5:28 pm

This is a great list!
    At the risk of too much self-promotion, I will say http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/category/medium/games/ strives to be super friendly! <3

July 7, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Please! Promote yourself! Always looking for new awesome video game discussions.

Wesley Hall
        July 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Does anyone know of any great feminist video game podcasts like Girls on Games based in the United States?

July 7, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I’ll definitely have to check some of these out! As I’m a bit out of the gaming loop lately with my life, I don’t frequent games sites often, but come fall I’d really like to make time for games again, so it’ll be great to have places to check in with!

July 7, 2016 at 11:18 pm

🙂 All of the sites listed are really great for thought provoking deep dives into games and thinking about them in a new way.

Samantha
    July 8, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for adding our site (Not Your Mama’s Gamer) to your list, we welcome additional folks to our community! And I was excited to find you. Another woman friendly site that you might check out is Girl Tribe Gaming! http://www.girltribegaming.com/

July 8, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for creating and sharing such amazing content! And thanks so much for the Girl Tribe recommendation. Adding them to my blog fee now.

July 10, 2016 at 4:26 am

Mariko if it wasn’t for you, I’d still be in the dark thinking gaming was a boys dominated club – I love this 50/50 split 🙂 🙂

July 11, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Women have always been involved in games, but the marketing really helped to give the impression that we aren’t as present as we are. I’m so happy to be part of the movement to give great visibility to women in games and keep our voices from being silenced.

Ravanel Griffon
    July 14, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I’m not reading big gaming sites a lot; I stick to personal gaming blogs mostly (such as yours and my own! :P). But I’m happy to report that the gaming blogosphere as I know it is pretty much 50/50 when it comes to gender, meaning it reflects the populace well. In fact, gender seems totally irrelevant, which is how it should be!

Now if only game advertisements would follow that trend… or e-sport events, for that matter. If I’m watching Heartstone tournaments it’s an army of guys with one token woman presenting it. Still a world to conquer when it comes to competitive gaming.

July 17, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, the prejudices in eSports are pretty stunning. I have a feeling we’re going to see big changes there, very quickly, though. Did you hear about the teen girl in South Korea who was so good at Overwatch she was accused of being a bot? Ludicrous.