Geek Life

Summer To-Do List

Summer To-Do List | Gamerwife.com

Summer To-Do List | Gamerwife.com Summer seems to have briefly paused here in Montreal after strong start at the end of May, but that doesn’t mean I can’t anticipate all the hot days and nights yet to come. Montreal is an amazing place to live in the summer, with festivals like Just For Laughs and Fantasia and the Jazz Festival and all of the free outdoor entertainment they bring. There are also a wealth of gigantic parks to picnic and barbecue in, patios to lounge on and pools to swim in. So without futher ado, I give you my summer to-do list:

Get Serious About My Game

Yes, starting my game had been one of my goals for spring, but a serious lack of motivation and a bit of overwhelm means that I’m bringing this to-do with me into summer. But, this time I have a plan to keep me accountable, and that’s starting a dev blog. Yes, that’s right, I’m going to be giving you all a sneak into my process and the pitfalls of trying to make my own video game for the first time, and force myself to work on it regularly so I have stuff to report to y’all. This better work.

Launch the Newsletter

Along with getting my mojo back, my recent break from blogging has inspired me to really get serious about this little blog and think about ways I can give more to you, the humble readers. To this end I’ve decided that it’s finally time for me to create a monthly newsletter so I can communicate with you all a little more directly and hopefully give you more reasons to keep coming back to the blog. I’m still working out the details of what exactly to include, so if you have any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Go To La Ronde

Okay. Fine. Rick and I have been making this one of our summer goals since we started dating 7 years ago. It has yet to happen. For those of you not in the know, La Ronde is Montreal’s amusement park. It’s part of the Six Flags family and is home to one of the tallest wooden roller coasters in the world. I love roller coasters. Especially wooden ones, having gotten to ride The Cyclone and The Wooden Roller Coaster many a time in my day. It is well past time I added Le Monstre to that list. Let’s make it happen!

Do Yoga Outside

Another summer goal that’s been following me around like a bad smell. I like yoga. I like being outside in the summer. Putting the two together really seems like a no-brainer, but for some reason last year getting out of the house to do this just seemed like a giant bother. Now that I know I can get free WiFi in Parc Jarry, I’m planning to spend a lot more time there. And hopefully that time will also include some sun salutations.

Sort Out Future Vacation Plans

As some of you might know we had some tax issues pop up this year that mean we owe the government a yet undisclosed (but no doubt large) sum of money, which has meant that any planning for the future that involves money has been put on hold. With any luck we should know what the damage is by the end of July so we can finally have a clear picture of what our finances actually look like and what we can expect to do travel wise in the next year or two. Rick and I love traveling, and we’re in a place where we can save money, but for right now that money is all potentially earmarked for the government. Hopefully that’ll all be wrapping up soon and we can get back to being our jet-set selves.

What do you have planned for this summer?

June 21, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Eck, I hope the tax bill isn’t too much of a killer! I feel you on the traveling – I haven’t traveled to very many places, and lately I’ve gotten the bug to just drop everything and go places. Hopefully we can afford some as well! I’m so looking forward to your game dev blog. While I don’t personally have an interest in making games myself, it’s a process that I find so interesting, so I’m excited to learn more!

June 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm

We’re very eager to have the tax thing wrapped up soon. And yay for travelling more! We just did a weekend at a lake two hours away and it was great. Hopefully you’ll get to see more sights as well. And we’ll see what happens with the dev diary. I’m already sort of behind. 🙁

Lazy Lady (@the_lyn)
    June 22, 2016 at 10:58 am

I have been wanting to design my own tabletop game ever since I started the Once A Month Gamer segment. I just haven’t even gotten close to starting on it. Best of luck with your goals and plans this summer! I hope the taxes don’t hit you too hard.

June 22, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Thanks, Lyn! A friend of mine just designed her own table top card game and she has no prior game experience. I’m super impressed.

June 23, 2016 at 4:27 am

Oh all fun things (minus the tax – but hopefully sorted out soon) I’d definitely love to see a blog post on La Ronde! Goodluck!

June 23, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Yeah, we found out there was a problem in January, but we won’t be able to do anything about it until we get the final tally, hopefully sometime next month. A post on La Ronde will definitely happen (if) when we finally go.

Emma
    June 23, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Oh wow, you are going to be busy!! I’m looking forward to seeing where you chose to go on holiday, when you finally get one – taxes suck!

June 23, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I like being busy in the summer. The sun gives me so much energy. Not sure what our vacations plans could be yet, but there is a chance that Rick will be sent to Chicago for work, so if that happens I’m going to try to tag along.

June 24, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I haven’t been to an amusement park in like forever! We want to definitely get away but we always seem to get stuck on what kind of get away we want/is possible. But we do have something planned for July with friends and so definitely looking forward to that 🙂

June 29, 2016 at 9:44 am

That’ll be nice. I know what it’s like to get stuck with what you want vs. what’s possible. Part of me wants to go away NOW and part of me wants to wait and save up for another epic trip somewhere. It’s so hard to decide.

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    June 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Good luck on your goals! But booooooo taxes 🙁

June 29, 2016 at 9:46 am

Thanks, Natalie! Hopefully this will all get resolved soon and we’ll be able to move forward.

June 29, 2016 at 2:15 pm

i hope the tax stuff gets worked out. I’m so sorry to hear that Mariko. That’s really tough. Hopefully soon you can move forward with vacation planning. Trust me I know how you feel. It is not so much money but finding time off of work for my husband each time we are about to plan something, something comes up. Like a deployment or whatever. Our plans are almost doomed before they even happen.

June 30, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Thanks, Dina. And thanks for putting the tax thing in perspective for me. I couldn’t imagine trying to plan life around last minute deployments, that sounds so incredibly stressful.

Jessica
    July 2, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Aw man! That sucks about the tax stuff, hopefully the bill isn’t toooo high. I tried yoga one time but didn’t like it. I’m going to give it another try later. I think it would be cool to do yoga outside but it’s so hot outside here in Florida, I would melt and cry and run back inside lol

July 4, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Thanks, Jessica. We’ve been saving since we heard there would be a problem, but it’ll still be nice to finally know what the full ‘damage’ is. And yeah, I need to get my sea legs back a bit with yoga before I’m comfortable doing it in public again, but don’t feel bad about not enjoying it the first time. For me, yoga is all about finding what feels right for you and not all instructors are going to be a good fit for all people.