Geek Life Video Games

Yoga For Gamers

Yoga For Gamers | Gamerwife.com

Yoga For Gamers | Gamerwife.com This post was actually something that was suggested by Rick as he winced in pain after sitting hunched in front of our TV most of the day playing The Division. “My back is hurting,” he said, “I should probably start doing yoga again.” I agreed enthusiastically, and then realized what a great idea for a post he’d given me.

Unlike a lot of other exercises, yoga is very easily to do at home with very minimal equipment. I mean, all you really need is a towel if you can’t afford a yoga mat, and even those aren’t really that expensive. It’s also very easy to mix and match poses to target the areas that need the most attention, or find video tutorials that target the areas in question. So, after a quick peruse of YouTube I put together a little list of easy routines you can do at home to help with all your gaming related aches and pains.

You’ll notice that all the videos I’m included in this post are by Yoga with Adrienne. I’m not affiliated with her in any way, I’m just a big fan of her approach to yoga and find her videos to be easier to follow than a lot of other YouTube yogis and more accessible to those newer to home practice. That said, I’m neither a yogi myself, or a fitness professional, so make sure you check with a doctor before starting with yoga or any other fitness program.

Yoga For Upper Back Pain

If you’re anything like me, this is probably where you you notice when you’ve been gaming too much. Maybe it’s because I mostly play on my laptop and I don’t have a proper riser for my desk, but tight neck muscles and hunched shoulders are a frequent complaint. This twelve minute routine will help to relax those neck muscles and help with your posture in general.

Yoga For Lower Back Pain

This fifteen minute routine needs to be practiced regularly for the best results, but for gamers like Rick who find themselves hunched over on the couch for hours at a time, it will help to heal and prevent that knot at the base of the spine. Adrienne also features a longer thirty minute routine for those with a bit more time to work out the kinks in their back.

Yoga For Healthy Wrists

Whether you’re more of a console gamer or part of the PC master race, we all know that gaming can take a toll on your wrists. This quick, 4 minute routine is a great way to build strength and flexibility into your wrists and stave off carpal tunnel so you can get back to pwning noobs.

Yoga For When You Rage Quit

Okay, so the actual title of this sequence is “Yoga For When You’re Angry,” but you get where I’m going with this. Although the first couple routines I mention are focused on the physical benefits of yoga for gamers, this one is all about the emotional ones. Things get a little too heated in an online match? Throw your controller at the cat after failing to kill the boss for the 80th time? Take 20 minutes, roll out the yoga mat and try a little focused breathing to get you back to your happy, healthy self.

In addition to the sequences I mentioned above, Adrienne also has a couple of short (under 10 mins) videos that you can do right at your desk or couch. Perfect for interspersing into a long gaming session to keep from getting all bunched up.

Do you practice yoga?

What other exercises would you recommend for gamers?

rolfdebbie
    March 28, 2016 at 9:35 am

I love this! I’m not really much of a gamer or a yogi, but I’m a video editor so I spend most of the time I’m awake in front of a screen. Yoga with Adrienne is amazing, she’s so personable and there’s so many videos to choose form. I’ve got that “Yoga for when you’re angry” video bookmarked lol

March 28, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I’ve started doing the desk yoga in between work sessions and it really does help.

Vikki (@cuteek)
    March 28, 2016 at 11:05 am

Fantastic post Mariko! I’m also a fan of Yoga with Adriene. After reading your post I did the desk yoga and it was exactly what I needed to get out of my afternoon slump. My anxiety level lowered by 70%.

cuteek.com | geeky lifestyle blog

March 28, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Thanks so much, Vikki! I’m also becoming a big fan of desk yoga.

Cate
    March 28, 2016 at 1:15 pm

I love Adrienne these are perfect, I definitely need to get into daily Yoga again xoxo

March 28, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Yeah, I’ve been off the wagon for waaaay too long.

Jessica | OhHeyJess.com
    March 28, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Ah, this is a great post! I tried doing yoga but I just couldn’t get into it. I started watching some Pilates videos though and I am really enjoying them. I try to set aside 30 minutes to one hour to just work out and exercise. I absolutely love it. I feel so good after a workout!

March 28, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Thanks, Jessica! I’m also a big fan of Pilates, I usually do a blend of Pilates and yoga, but I’m also enjoying just yoga on it’s own. I’m not sure you meant it, but you’ve actually helped to push me to get back to exercising.

Michelle Anneliese
    March 28, 2016 at 11:24 pm

This is really interesting and a smart article to have! You never really think about your body when gaming for hours.

March 29, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, I think it’s an aspect that’s left out of a lot of conversations about gaming. Like it’s either physical activity or gaming, but obviously you need both to be healthy and happy.

March 29, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I love Adrienne! She is fantastic! When I feel like i need to do something I normally turn to her videos. I think that all gamers should at the very least walk. Take a break and do a quick walk around the block or go for a jog.

March 30, 2016 at 5:09 pm

While I agree with you in theory that’s not always easy at the height of a Montreal winter, but physical activity doesn’t have to be complicated in order to be effective.

March 29, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Stretching is really important for health, especially when sitting for long periods of time. This is cool! I don’t really do yoga, but then again I do lots of martial arts and I usually stretch there… But… I could always do more! ^__^

March 30, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Ooh, martial arts is great. Definitely a good way to get moving.

March 29, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I so, so love Yoga With Adriene. While I don’t practice daily, I try and squeeze in 4-5 times a week and it’s so wonderful for both mental and physical health. This is such a great post – I have such shit posture when I game for hours (I completely noticed that after bingeing Firewatch for four hours straight!) and yoga definitely helps straighten everything out again!

March 30, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, I can’t really seem to squeeze in daily practice, but I know I need to be more consistent. Good on you for 4 – 5 times a week. That’s super impressive!

Loving Lately | March – Scruffy-Little Nerd Herder
    April 5, 2016 at 3:43 am

[…] Yoga for Gamers |  Mariko {Gamer Wife} […]

April 7, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I woke up with a sore lower back just did the lower back video – so relaxing and amazing – thanks for sharing mariko, will bookmark it for sure 🙂

April 8, 2016 at 11:02 am

You’re so welcome. And I really need to get back to regular practice. I’m just so much calmer and focused when I yoga regularly.

sparklegirljen
    April 16, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Ah! I need to save this post and all the videos! I do yoga fairly regularly but I just have a couple of DVDs that I pop in. These specific stretches for pain I typically get are fantastic! Thank you!

April 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Hey, I’m just glad you got some benefit out of it! I started doing DVDs too, but I just fell in love with Adrienne’s channel.