Geek Life Video Games

Video Game Tarot Decks

Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com

Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com I think it’s fair to say that Tarot is having a bit of a moment right now, especially in the blogosphere. Whether it’s for fun, for guidance, or as a tool of inspiration, seems to be everywhere lately. One of the coolest things about this modern approach to tarot is that it’s no longer bound to any one source of aesthetic inspiration. As gorgeous as the Rider-Waite designs are, new tarot enthusiasts are creating decks that draw from all sorts of sources, from nature, to and now, even video games.

And these video game decks aren’t limited to just fan-made creations, video game developers like Bioware are even jumping on the tarot bandwagon, incorporating tarot designs directly into their games. To help show off the depth of this trend, I decided to showcase some of the coolest video game tarot decks I could find. Sadly, some of them are no longer available, but they’re all incredibly worthy of being admired from afar as well.

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

Dragon Age Inquisition

Dragon Age Tarot Deck | Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com

Image via eBay

This set was part of the Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor’s Edition -which is sadly no longer available- and uses tarot card art created for the game in a full 72 card tarot deck. Sadly this deck was never released outside of the Inquisitor’s Edition, but you can still get a hold of it on eBay if you’ve got a few hundred dollars to spare.

Legend of Zelda

Legend of Zelda Tarot Deck | Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com

Image via Etsy

Luckily, however, this fan created Legend of Zelda deck is still available on Etsy. Creator Pixel Perks offers Zelda versions of both the Major and Minor Arcana, all rendered in a lovely watercolour style. They even come with a custom designed box!

Dishonored

Originally included as part of the Special Edition of Dishonored, this deck of 78 cards strays pretty significantly from the classic Rider-Waite deck both in the both the names and positioning of the Major Arcana. The deck itself came only with instructions for how to use the cards to play Game of Nancy, as the developers were more interest in seeing how their community chose to use the cards for divination. There are now various guides available for those using the Dishonored deck, but as always the final meaning is down to you.

Pokemon

Pokemon Tarot | Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com

Image via Gelbooru

Unsurprisingly there are several tarot decks available featuring those ubiquitous pocket monsters. The one featured above seems to have been available commercially in Asia at some point, although I had no luck in tracking it down now. There is also a lovely, darker themed fan created Pokemon tarot deck by Poke Box, but that also, sadly, seems to no longer be available.

Undertale

Undertale Tarot | Video Game Tarot | Gamerwife.com

Image via Dogbomber

And finally, this hilarious Undertale tarot deck is the work of Tumblr artist Dogbomber. Not currently available commercially, Dogbomber is hopeful that Undertale creator Toby Fox will give his blessing for them to be official merch at some point in the future. You can check out high resolution versions of all the Major Arcana here.

And as a bonus, check out this sweet Futurama tarot deck. (@thenerdygirlie, this is for you. *wink*)

Desiree
    March 7, 2016 at 10:23 am

I sort of want those Undertake cards. The ones from the game Persona are awesome too. Sadly they only came in half sets sold in two different games so I need to pick up the other half.

Did you see this version of Legend of Zelda cards? I bought them a couple months ago. https://www.etsy.com/listing/201789473/the-legend-of-tarot-a-tarot-deck-for

March 7, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Oooh… I missed that other Zelda tarot deck. That is gorgeous!

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    March 7, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Tarot decks are so pretty! I don’t know how to read them, though >_<

March 7, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I’m still trying to teach myself… I usually do readings right out of the book, but there’s really no wrong way to read Tarot.

Erin Radler (@eradscantina)
    March 7, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Holy cow! These are gorgeous!! I am in LOVE with the zelda one, oh my goodness!

March 7, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Isn’t it stunning? There were some Mass Effect cards doing the rounds recently too that I’ve been drooling over.

March 7, 2016 at 6:39 pm

I haven’t even played Dishonored yet but I love that deck. And of course the Zelda one! Great stuff!

March 7, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I didn’t play Dishonored myself, but the cards that came with the special edition really are stunning.

Desiree
    March 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

I love how creative people are getting with Tarot cards. Love the Zelda one.

March 8, 2016 at 6:13 pm

It’s great, isn’t it? There are so many great fan art projects around.

March 8, 2016 at 4:26 am

I’m definitely on that tarot bandwagon and those zelda cards are so sweet. I think in the future I might even have a go at designing my own (cat tarot anyone 😛 :P) although that is definitely one ambitious project, so much admiration for the artists above!

March 8, 2016 at 6:12 pm

YES!!! CAT TAROT! I just said I needed some.

March 8, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Oops I see cat tarots are already a thing 😛 😛

March 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm

There can never be enough cat tarot cards. 😉

lynthelazy
    March 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Those Zelda cards are pretty cool! I have a deck of “cat people” tarot and Arthurian tarot. May need to add some gaming tarot to my stash!

March 8, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Oooh… I’ve been looking for a good cat people deck.

Sophierocious
    March 9, 2016 at 12:13 am

I love the Dragon Age cards. I’ve never tried to read cards or have them read, but it’s always been on my list of things to do. I’ll be in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. Seems like the perfect place to get them read 🙂

March 9, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Indeed. I had my cards read in Salem when we visited a few years ago, but I was being a little too much of a skeptic to really get into the process. We’re also talking about going to New Orleans in the next year or two and I’m definitely going to get another reading.

March 18, 2016 at 4:30 am

I think the Dragon Age deck is amazing! I’ve wanted it for a while but I’m very unwilling to spend that much money on a tarot deck though. I found a deck I want that is cute and childlike. I’d love a gaming deck though. The Dishonored one looks pretty amazing too! But I would still need to learn what the heck the cards are saying. 🙂

March 18, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Yeah, I’m still learning how to read without looking at a book. Have a feeling it’ll be a while yet before I’m comfortable enough to do readings so people other than myself.

GoreGamer
    September 28, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Binding of Isaac plz!

October 2, 2017 at 11:23 am

I’ll have to look around for that one. Thanks for the suggestion!