Adventures

Storm Crow Tavern, Tattoos and Other Vancouver Adventures

Bub Tattoo Finished | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com

Airbnb cat Nay Nay | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com One of the hardest things about living in Montreal is the fact that all of my immediate family still lives in Vancouver. When Rick and I got married we made a deal to at least try to alternate where we spend Christmas each year, which we’ve more or less stuck to when our budget allows. But I won’t lie, it’s hard sometimes. It galls me how much it costs to travel within Canada, I mean, I know it’s a big country but there’s also no competition with only two airlines so ticket prices are more or less stagnant. And this year we had the added cost of accommodations since my brother is back living with my parents and my sister was hosting her husband’s family this year.

Airbnb Room 1 | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com Luckily we found an incredible Airbnb just off of Commercial Drive right next to the Skytrain station and more or less half-way between my parents and my sister. Jen was a great host and the room was huge and airy. She even had two cats that we could play with whenever we started to miss Gatsby and Kala too much.

Airbnb Room 2 | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com It was also very near to JJ Bean so I could get my morning soy latte fix. Commercial (or The Drive as it is better know) is renowned for its great food and general funkiness. I think Rick was a little spooked at first because of the prevalence of the homeless, but he settled into a rhythm with it quickly enough.

Airbnb Cat Paul | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com We had grand plans this year to finally eat at all the legendary restaurants I’d been telling Rick about since we started dating or to do touristy things like go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, but Rick got SUPER sick the day after Boxing Day, which would have been our tourist time. We did manage to sneak in a dinner date with the marvelous Margot Meanie and some nephew time, but sadly not nearly as much as I would have liked.

Storm Crow Tavern TV and Games | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com One of the high points of this visit was definitely finally getting a chance to check out The Storm Crow Tavern, Vancouver’s very first nerd bar. Featuring a full menu and “shots of destiny” that are determined by rolling a D20, the Storm Crow is the perfect place to hole up with some friends, play a board game and totally nerd out.

Storm Crow Tavern video game wall | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com The restaurant itself is covered in nerdy memorabilia, with certain walls taking on certain themes like video games, horror, or Game of Thrones. There were several large TVs playing Doctor Who the first time I went in and they have a respectable selection of board games (although Randolph it is not). The food was also surprisingly good, although apparently it had gotten a lot better since it opened.

Storm CrowTavern Art-o-Matic | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com I managed to drag Rick there with me in one of his few non-barfy moments and we got to play a little Star Wars heads up game. I loved that they have a lot of vegan options and I could get Daiya added to whatever I wanted! The coffee was also quite good, but considering the coffee culture on The Drive I would have expected nothing less.

Lucky's Doughnuts | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com Speaking of coffee, we also got a chance to check out 49th Parallel on Main Street as I couldn’t resist trying out Lucky’s Doughnuts. I got a HUGE mango and passionfruit doughnut with mango glaze and mango-passionfruit filling. Let me tell you, there is no cool way to eat this doughnut. The filling is going to get EVERYWHERE. It was a mango massacre. I had to use the left-over doughnut parts to mop up all the filling on my plate, much to Rick’s total disgust. That said, it was delicious. Dense, but not heavy, and the filling wasn’t overly sweet. More like a compote than a coulis.

Amy Lee & Stampy Cat | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com The other great highlight was playing with Amy Lee and Stampy Cat, my nephews’ new kittens. My oldest nephew, James, is obsessed with video games and YouTube and named the cats after his favourite YouTubers. They were so cute and playful, alternating between sleeping for twenty hours and running around like total nuts for the remaining four hours. It was also beyond adorable watching my three year old nephew Owen try to chastise the cats for jumping on the table and such. Quite the disciplinarian for a barely verbal guy.

Kat Bob Tattoo | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com This trip also saw me knocking something off of my bucket list by FINALLY getting my Bubble Bobble tattoo with my sister Kat. In the works for nearly five years, I’d been wanting to get a tattoo with my sister for ages and since Bubble Bobble was the game we played most together as kids it seemed fitting that it would be the subject of our tats. It’s also my first video game tattoo, which is kinda crazy, but I’m super happy with it.

Bub Tattoo Finished | Vancouver Adventures 2015 | Gamerwife.com A huge thank you to Jeremy Riley over at Tattoo Union for fitting us in on such short notice and doing such a stellar job. Jeremy also did the hanafuda piece on my right arm a million years ago and I’ve been itching to get more work by him for a while but it’s been hard living on the other side of the country. I’m so happy it all worked out this time.

Did you go anywhere this Christmas?

Celeste
    January 11, 2016 at 11:23 am

Your tattoo is so adorable! Storm Crow is also a fantastic name for a nerd bar. Reminds me of a DnD tavern.

January 17, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Yes! That’s totally the concept behind the place. I forgot to take photos of them, but the regular menus actually have a cover designed to look like the cover of a DnD module, but we lots of nerdy characters in the tavern.

January 11, 2016 at 11:34 am

that nerd bar looks and sounds really neat. and bubble bobble! oh my goodness. that brings back so many memories 🙂 great tattoo to get with your sister 🙂

January 17, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Hehe, thanks Jane. Happy to bring up some nostalgia for you.

Kendall Ashley
    January 11, 2016 at 11:42 am

Oh my gosh, that tattoo is too great! And Storm Crow Tavern looks like a ton of fun!

January 17, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, Kendall! I’m super happy with the way it came out, I just wish I gotten a picture of me and my sister together.

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    January 11, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE your tattoo! So cute <3 <3 <3

January 17, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Thanks! I’m a little sad I didn’t get the chance to take a side by side photo with my sister with her tattoo, but I guess we’ll have to fit it in next time we see each other.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    January 12, 2016 at 8:21 am

Bubble Booble is my favorite oldie game, I’m such an addict 🙂 Love love the tattoo! And the tavern looks so amazing, lots of board games, that’s a big plus!

January 17, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, Damaris.

Brittany B
    January 12, 2016 at 10:54 am

Ok, that nerd bar looks amazing. We don’t have any around here, and that’s just sad!

January 17, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, we don’t acutally have anything like the Storm Crow in Montreal yet. There are a few video game bars, and an amazing board game cafe, but nothing that has a generally geeky theme like Storm Crow.

January 12, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Your tattoo is so adorable! And that tavern looks amazing. Also, dipping the donut into the overflow filling is the only way to go. 😀

January 17, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Thanks, Kay. I’d been hearing about Storm Crow for so long from my Vancouver friends, I’m really glad we finally got a chance to try it.

January 14, 2016 at 5:34 am

Your tattoo is so awesome!!! Such a good job he did 🙂 Also, I love this post because it’s filled with cats and cats snuggling #futureaspirations 😛

January 17, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Thank you, Fee! I will need some touch ups now that it’s done healing, but I absolutely love the colours that Jeremy chose.

January 18, 2016 at 3:28 am

I’m still sorting through all the photos from my staycation here in HI. I’ve been thinking about trying out Air BnB when we travel to the other islands. I’m glad you enjoyed it!! And I love the tattoos that’s something you can share with your sister forever!

January 18, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Thanks, Dina. Can’t wait to see the rest of your staycation pics and I know Airbnb is kind of hit and miss, but we definitely had a great experience.

January 28, 2016 at 4:42 am

I am so uber behind on blog, but I’m finally getting the chance to catch up and I’m starting with all of yours!

I was so happy we got to hang out and I got to meet Rick, especially that he wasn’t feeling barfy that night!!

I’m glad you had a fun time and I didn’t even know you were getting tattoos! How fun!

February 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm

D’aww… We had the best time hanging out with you, even if Rick wasn’t feeling well. And the tattoo thing was very last minute but I’m glad it work out.

sparklegirljen
    January 29, 2016 at 9:39 pm

It sounds like you had a fantastic time in Vancouver. I definitely need to visit there at some point. And I love your Bubble Bobble tattoo! That was definitely one of my favourite games growing up.

February 1, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thanks, Jen! It’s a great place to visit, but I always feel like my trips are too short.