Geek Life

Goals & Resolutions 2016

Goals & Resolutions 2016 | Gamerwife.com

Goals & Resolutions 2016 | Gamerwife.com

Yes, it’s that time of year again. The one where we take stock of where our lives are at a totally arbitrary moment in space and time and try to make some assertions about how we want to steer things in a different direction. Like most people I am pretty ambivalent about how seriously I take these resolutions. As my year in review post for 2015 showed, I have mixed success with these sorts of things, but I still like to take the time to think about where I am and where I want to go for the next 365 days.

As is customary by now, I have broken things down into four categories: Blog, Career, Personal & Geekolutions.

Blog goals:

• Revamp – I’ve already started with a new, fresh theme and some reorganizing of my categories. You may also have noticed that my recipes posts have disappeared. This was a conscious choice, and a difficult one since some of my recipes account for a significant portion of my page views. But ultimately I didn’t feel like they really represented what Gamerwife is about now. They made sense when I was just sort of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, but now that I’m focusing more on just games and geeky lifestyle things, they make less sense.
  • Sort out Sponsors & Monetization – Sponsorships on Gamerwife have dried up recently and that’s actually okay because I was never really sure about what value I could offer my sponsors. It has been an important part of how I made money on this blog, not a lot, but enough to keep it going when times were toughest. However, blog monetization seems to be moving in a different direction these days and I need to figure out if Passionfruit ads have a place here or not.
  • Revive Happy Caturday as a way of driving traffic to my Instagram!

Career goals:

• Get into a proper rhythm with freelancing with office hours that I can stick to.
  • Write more for remeshed.com. I’m currently averaging 2 pieces a month for them, but eventually I’d like to up it to 4.
  • Make my portfolio site!! Ugh. I need help.

Personal goals:

• You know what, I say this every year, and every year I fall short reaching my goal. But I don’t care, I still want to READ MORE.
  • Remember that eating and sleeping properly are part of self-care and are nice things I do for myself, not inconveniences. I should probably include exercise in there as well.
  • Start seriously evaluating all the stuff in our apartment and make some hard decisions about what stays and what goes. We’ve accumulated quite a bit of crap in the five years we’ve been living in our current place and it’s time for it to GO.

Geekolutions:

• Finish the cosplays I started last year. I discussed this in a bit more detail in my year in review post, but I really want to make this happen.
  • Make a game. I keep making a secret promise to myself that I will finally give game dev a try myself, but I think this is the year I actually take the plunge.
  • Attend more conventions! I had an amazing time as usual at PAX East, and incredible times at both Comiccon Montreal and Otakuthon which I attended for the first time last year. Hopefully this year I’ll get to go to even more cons, including a rumoured trip to E3…?

Do you make resolutions? What goals have you set for 2016?

January 6, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Great goals! Not gonna lie, I’m excited about the revival of Happy Caturday! But I guess that comes with being a cat lady for life. 🙂 I am right there with you on cutting down/getting rid of stuff in our apartment. We’ve been here for seven years…and there is just so much stuff that never get’s touched sitting in closets or on the sunporch. Must go! Best of luck with all your goals!

January 9, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Thanks! And I wasn’t sure if people missed Happy Caturday, but since I learned that that feature actually turned someone from a cat hater to a cat lover, I knew I had to bring it back somehow.

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    January 7, 2016 at 12:10 am

The “what stays and what goes” goal is something I’m working on as well I have too much crap for such a small apartment, hahah. Yay Caturday!

Sophierocious
    January 7, 2016 at 8:34 am

Wow! Make a game? That is so fricking cool. I can’t wait to follow your journey. I’m assuming you’ll tell us all about it ^_^ This is your year. GET IT!

January 9, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Thanks, Sophie. But really, keep your expectations low on the game front. It’ll probably just be a short text thing that I’ll be happy if it runs.

January 7, 2016 at 12:10 pm

i love this new layout! and you’ve laid out pretty good goals for yourself. i unfortunately don’t have any but perhaps i should get a few things lined up… something to think about 🙂

January 9, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Thanks! It was a Christmas gift to myself. And I like to see resolutions more as guidelines than rules, just something to keep in mind when setting priorities.

Joie Fatale
    January 7, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I think goals and resolutions for the new year are great, and important for helping us have a guiding star for what we want to accomplish! i don’t always accomplish my goals, but I think making them helps me achieve some things anyway!

Also: I can’t wait for your game!!! That’s sounds so cool!

January 9, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Oh man, I’m starting to get super self-conscious about this game thing. Keep your expectations low people!

sparklegirljen
    January 7, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I think goals and resolutions are great for setting goals for the new year. I’m with you on the personal goals. I find self-care and taking time out for yourself is easy to look over when you’re working for yourself. My mind is always on tasks that need to be done and I’m lucky to squeeze in exercise or time off to clear my mind. And I definitely recommend coming to Fan Expo!!

January 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Yeah, working for myself is part of my self-care, but sometimes it’s hard to make other kinds of self-care a priority as a result. But, I’m determined to make it work. And I’d love to go to Fan Expo again if I can afford it. I went for one day years ago and I had a blast.

geekyseamstress
    January 8, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Fantastic goals! I made several similar goals for this year. Health is one of my priorities right now! Sleeping properly is something I’ve been struggling with for months now. I’m trying to get better about turning off my devices and reading a chapter of a book before bed. Still working on making this a consistent habit, but hopefully I’ll get there soon. Best of luck with your goals this year!

January 9, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Good luck with your sleep goals. I have the worst bedtime habits, especially now that I am self-employed so maybe we can encourage each other to be better at it.

January 9, 2016 at 6:36 am

I like the new layout looking super professional! and yup, I definitely need to work on minimizing or just getting rid of the things I don’t really really love (hard for me!)

January 9, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Thanks, Fee! And yeah, I keep saying we need to purge and I sort through stuff… and then it just sits in the apartment…

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    January 11, 2016 at 6:53 am

Great goals, I like that they include things in all categories, personal, blog and geek. And yay for game development! Which type of platform are you thinking? Phone, pc? A friend is creating board games, which is so interesting too! 🙂 I really haven’t written down my goals for 2016 but I have already started to sort things around our house because we have the same problem, more than 5 years and there are boxes that arrived on the first day and landed on a closet and I have never gone through them :S I also would like to make things fresh in the blog, but I’m still trying to figure out how.

January 17, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I’ll probably stick with PC since it’s easier to develop for with free tools, although I’m leaning towards Unity which makes it easy to port to any platform. Good luck with your goals for the year!

Spring To-Do List - Gamerwife
    March 21, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] was part of my geekolutions for the year and despite signing up for the Pixelles follow along program back in January, a dearth […]