Yes, it’s that time of year again. The one where we take stock of where our lives are at a totally arbitrary moment in space and time and try to make some assertions about how we want to steer things in a different direction. Like most people I am pretty ambivalent about how seriously I take these resolutions. As my year in review post for 2015 showed, I have mixed success with these sorts of things, but I still like to take the time to think about where I am and where I want to go for the next 365 days.
As is customary by now, I have broken things down into four categories: Blog, Career, Personal & Geekolutions.
- Revamp – I’ve already started with a new, fresh theme and some reorganizing of my categories. You may also have noticed that my recipes posts have disappeared. This was a conscious choice, and a difficult one since some of my recipes account for a significant portion of my page views. But ultimately I didn’t feel like they really represented what Gamerwife is about now. They made sense when I was just sort of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, but now that I’m focusing more on just games and geeky lifestyle things, they make less sense.
- Sort out Sponsors & Monetization – Sponsorships on Gamerwife have dried up recently and that’s actually okay because I was never really sure about what value I could offer my sponsors. It has been an important part of how I made money on this blog, not a lot, but enough to keep it going when times were toughest. However, blog monetization seems to be moving in a different direction these days and I need to figure out if Passionfruit ads have a place here or not.
- Revive Happy Caturday as a way of driving traffic to my Instagram!
- Get into a proper rhythm with freelancing with office hours that I can stick to.
- Write more for remeshed.com. I’m currently averaging 2 pieces a month for them, but eventually I’d like to up it to 4.
- Make my portfolio site!! Ugh. I need help.
- You know what, I say this every year, and every year I fall short reaching my goal. But I don’t care, I still want to READ MORE.
- Remember that eating and sleeping properly are part of self-care and are nice things I do for myself, not inconveniences. I should probably include exercise in there as well.
- Start seriously evaluating all the stuff in our apartment and make some hard decisions about what stays and what goes. We’ve accumulated quite a bit of crap in the five years we’ve been living in our current place and it’s time for it to GO.
- Finish the cosplays I started last year. I discussed this in a bit more detail in my year in review post, but I really want to make this happen.
- Make a game. I keep making a secret promise to myself that I will finally give game dev a try myself, but I think this is the year I actually take the plunge.
- Attend more conventions! I had an amazing time as usual at PAX East, and incredible times at both Comiccon Montreal and Otakuthon which I attended for the first time last year. Hopefully this year I’ll get to go to even more cons, including a rumoured trip to E3…?