Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #142

someday we will foresee obstacles by Mollifiable | Friday I'm In Love | Gamerwife.com

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

someday we will foresee obstacles by Mollifiable available at Society 6

Hello sweeties!

I hope you all had wonderful weeks. I’ve been scrambling to get things in order before Christmas as time is ticking down to our trip to visit my family in Vancouver. Not to mention rushing to get my knitting projects done before dinner with Rick’s family this weekend… At least I’m getting caught up on my ABC Family soaps.

This weekend marks the start of the Xmas party circuit for us with events three nights in a row, which makes me tired just thinking about it, proving that I am, in fact, old. The rest of the time will likely be spent working, because, again, I am old.

What are y’all up to?

Link Time!

The games that didn’t make it to the Game Awards this year.

How Musterbrand makes surprisingly stylish video game inspired clothing for dudes.

“No sci-fi film—not even a sci-fi film set long ago—being complete without a robot and a computer, there is a gold-plated robot who walks as if his feet hurt, like a primal woman shopper, and an overweight computer who is a mixture of bald pate, traffic lights, and mailbox, and who transmits rapid information in a language that evokes Eskimo.” – From a collection of reviews of the original Star Wars.

From raster, to vexel, to pixel, Archipics makes stunning digital art.

Have any of you read Concrete Park yet? It sounds kind of amazing.

Great Game Changer interview with Ann Lemay of Bioware Montreal.

Love these tips on how to use a game for self-care/stress relief.

It’s not games that keep girls out, it’s the culture. Let’s change that.

This would make a great gift for the gamer chef on your Christmas list.

And finally, did your favourites make Gamasutra’s list of the top 10 game developers of 2015?

Desiree
    December 11, 2015 at 11:00 am

That NES Cart cutting board is pretty amazeballs.

I went to the Musterbrand website after reading through the article, and while I could never afford, okay I could afford but choose not to, the clothes, they have some really awesome stuff. If I did spend the cash though I might go for the Portal Scientist (Female) Jacket.

Great link-up!

December 11, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, one day when we’re rich Rick will get everything on the Musterbrand site. It’s all so devastatingly stylish.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron
    December 11, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Concrete Park is GREAT! It’s one of the most fun, stylish comics that no one seems to have heard of, sadly.

December 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Ooh, thanks for the recommend. I’ll have to check it out now.

Kendall Ashley
    December 11, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I love seeing old reviews for Star Wars. It’s a hoot. And I love that Remeshed article on the culture keeping women out of gaming. Great stuff!

December 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm

That New Yorker review absolutely kills me. And yeah, my husband’s actually started calling out bad behaviour in SWOTR when he sees it, mostly because it’s generally a pretty good culture so the bad apples stick out more, but I think all MMO players have a responsibility to make their games a safe place for everyone.

December 14, 2015 at 2:37 am

Love the post from remashed! I just started reading their stuff and I’m always pleasantly surprised about what they write.

The holiday staycation is in full swing right now! Busy, busy, busy! I’m doing something with the family everyday from now until Christmas.

December 14, 2015 at 10:52 am

Yeah, remeshed is great. I’m so honoured to be writing for them. And that’s great news about your staycation. I’m looking forward to being a tourist in my old home town in a couple of weeks.

December 15, 2015 at 3:25 am

If I see another person making amazing art via MS PAINT I’m giving up art altogether 😛 😛

December 15, 2015 at 11:36 am

Hahahaha. What about the guy that makes art in Excel?

December 15, 2015 at 5:49 pm

nooooooooooooooooo! I actually went on a mission to teach myself how to do pixel art but yup totally out of my depth – it’s so tricky!

December 16, 2015 at 11:44 am

Retronator created a browser based game that teaches you pixel art, might be easier to follow. Or at least, more fun. http://pixelartacademy.com/

• Fiona
            December 16, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Oh retronator does look fun!!

December 16, 2015 at 9:13 am

i loved that star wars review link 🙂

December 16, 2015 at 11:41 am

It’s hilarious, and nostalgic. Seriously, though. That New Yorker review is a work of art.

readerlygeek
    December 23, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I really liked the article about using gaming for self-care/stress relief. I started gaming again mainly to help manage my anxiety, and it’s been working–which is definitely nice.

December 23, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, Rick been using gaming to manage his anxiety for ages. I’m just coming to it now, but I definitely see a difference.