Geek Life

Winter To-Do List

Winter To-Do List | Gamerwife.com

Winter To-Do List | Gamerwife.com
Winter in Quebec can be kind of brutal, so having seasonal things to look forward to goes a long way towards making things more manageable mentally. And setting goals seasonally, instead of monthly, makes them a little easier for me to get my mind around. Like my fall to-do list, my winter to-do list is a mix of fun stuff, career oriented stuff (okay, fine, the same career oriented stuff) and good ol’ fashioned self-care.

While I had, admittedly, mixed success with my fall to-do list, I like the idea of sharing my seasonal goals with all of you while also sharing some of my favourite seasonal activities. Making these things public really does inspire me to make sure they happen, even if some of them do take me a while to do.

1. Go Ice Skating (At Least Once)

As some of you may know, I figure skated (badly) as a teenager. I still own my high-end figure skates, and when I moved to Montreal I used to skate outside every chance I could get. I haven’t made it on the ice in the last couple of years and it seems like high-time to remedy that, so this year I’m making it a goal to get my skate on at least once a month this winter.

2. Take A 2 Week Blog-cation

Since I started this blog 5 years ago I’ve never taken a proper, scheduled break from it. So, this year I’d like to take a two week break around my birthday and get some of my awesome blog friends to write guest posts for me. If you’re interested in posting on Gamerwife, please send me an email!

3. Set-Up My Portfolio Site (For Real This Time)

Yes, this is a hold-over from my fall to-do list, but since then I’ve decided that the best way forward with my portfolio site is to get someone to do it for me instead of trying to do it myself. Now I just need to save up the money to actually make that happen.

4. Go To A Cabane à sucre

I am a huge maple fan and now that I live in maple country I cherish every opportunity I get to eat as much of it as possible. I’m thinking this year we’re going to seriously try to get in to the legendary Au pied de cochon cabane. Wish us luck!

5. Audit My Wardrobe

Between gaining some weight and working from home, I’ve fallen into something of a fashion rut lately and I’d finally like to do something about it. I need to make peace with the fact that a lot of my nicer clothes don’t fit me any more, but I also need to give myself permission to look nice even if I don’t have a dress code to contend with.

What do you want to do this winter?

Celeste
    December 9, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Ice skating is always on my winter to do list. It’s become a bit of a tradition for Budd and I to do this at least once every winter since I taught him how to ice skate during our early dating days. : )

December 11, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Nice! I’ve been trying to teach Rick to skate since he never learned as a kid, which is ridiculous because he’s the Quebecer.

Jessica Pyreflies
    December 9, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Ice skating… I’ve done that twice and i was awful at it both times lol I think the second time I fell on my butt and I was so embarrassed haha oops! I want a new wardrobe too… but a lot of the stuff in my closet still fits and is nice, so I am trying to be good and just wait awhile longer… I’ve been spending too much money on new shoes. Impulse buys… I don’t even wear them. They are just so cute and I fall in love at the store. Sigh!

December 11, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Yeah, I went through a shoe phase, but I used to be really anxious about shoe shopping because of my delicate princess feet that get blisters just looking at new shoes. Also, falling down is totally part of learning to skate. You just need to keep going!

December 10, 2015 at 8:45 am

So cool that you skate! I haven’t gone ice skating since college. Though I was successfully able to go forward steadily then so that’s good haha. I’m pretty sure my hubs would be in heaven at Au pied de cochon cabane – he has such a sweet tooth and loves all things maple. Hope you get in! Best of luck with all your winter goals!

December 11, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Thanks! And you and Rick have the same skating technique. lol

December 10, 2015 at 4:51 pm

The winter season is already off to a start for me! We are going on a staycation here. Tackling potty training for the little guy and just enjoying the “winter” season.

December 11, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Heh, you do live in the right place for a staycation. 😉

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron
    December 11, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I think my big goal is to clean out the garage. Because in Texas, you can’t do that between April and October, it’s too hot. And I can’t find anything in there. (Well okay I can find the cars, but that’s about it.)

December 11, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Oh man, we’ve been meaning to clean out our closets forever! Thanks for the reminder.

December 15, 2015 at 3:20 am

That’s super neat about the iceskating and I never thought about structuring to-do lists around seasons but that is actually a killer idea, since we’re in my favourite season at the moment, my to-do list is definitely all those fun things, go swimming, wear not much clothing, eat iceblocks, be lazy 🙂

December 15, 2015 at 11:37 am

How does one eat an iceblock? I’m assuming it’s an Australian thing.

December 15, 2015 at 5:48 pm

oops, yup, I guess you guys call them icy poles? Actually scratch that, google tells me it’s a popsicle!

December 16, 2015 at 11:44 am

Ah yes! The popsicle! I know what that is!

Jen (@SparklegirlJen)
    December 18, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’ll be ice skating this Winter for sure! I also want to try snow shoeing. There’s places here that you can rent them so I’m hoping to fit that in. I definitely understand the wardrobe rut. I’ve been like that the last couple of years since going back to a retail job. I just wear worn in jeans and t-shirts there and come home to pajamas. It’s not good.

December 19, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Ooh, I haven’t been snowshoeing in ages. I’m pretty sure I don’t even really have to go out of town to do it either. And yeah, let’s fight our fashion ruts this winter!

Spring To-Do List - Gamerwife
    March 21, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] only managed to completed three of my winter goals, namely auditing my wardrobe, skating and the cabane a sucre, but the last one was actually a bit […]