Style & Gift Guides

Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers

Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com

Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

The holiday gift giving season is upon us once again and once again Gamerwife is coming to your rescue with my signature geek friendly gift guide series. This year, in addition to my usual guides for him, her, cats & stocking stuffers I thought it’d be fun to do a little round up of mystery boxes for gamers.

The last couple of years have seen an absolute explosion in the variety of mystery boxes available, especially in the realm of geeky loot. While there are lots of general interest geek boxes available that often contain gaming related merch, there are also a whole bunch of mystery boxes that cater specifically to gamers, whether you’re looking for gaming inspired jewelry, t-shirts or even games themselves.

Keep reading to see what made the cut in my mystery box gift guide for gamers.

Arcade Block

Arcade Block  | Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com
I’ve written about Arcade Block a few times on the blog, and although we had to cancel our subscription to save pennies with me working from home, I still think it’d make a great gift for the gamer nerd on your gift list. Each box comes with an exclusive video game themed t-shirt and a bevy of other merch related to gaming. It’s usually a bit of a mixed bag, but a couple of my favourite items form the boxes we’ve gotten were the Apeture Science scarf, the Assassin’s Creed pop figurine and the PacMan salt & pepper shakers.

Boxes start at $19.99 USD and go down in price if you order more than month at a time.
Shipping is $9.95 USD to the US, $8.75 USD to Canada, and $12.95 USD for Australia, France and the UK. Other international shipping locations are available starting at $25.00 USD
Also, for a limited time Arcade Block will give you a special FREE welcome box when you subscribe.

Gamer Girl Monthly

Gamer Girl Monthly | Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com
I haven’t tried out the Gamer Girl Monthly box myself yet, but I love that there is a mystery box that’s just for gamer girls! A lot of nerdy mystery boxes tend to skew masculine, only carrying men’s size t-shirts, etc., but Gamer Girl Monthly is just for us ladies. Each box contains 3 – 5 pieces of hand-picked gaming related loot, including jewelry and other collectibles.

Boxes start at $13.00 USD and go down in price if you order more than month at a time.
Shipping is $3.99 USD to the US, $6.99 USD to Canada and $12.99 USD to everywhere else.

IndieBox

Indiebox | Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com
IndieBox stands out as one of the few boxes on this list that includes ACTUAL VIDEOS GAMES in their boxes. Each month you’ll get a super cool indie video game on a USB cartridge, a custom box, illustrated manual, and soundtrack CD, plus other goodies like keychains, stickers, posts, buttons and more depending on the game. For examples of what’s been included in past boxes check out my unboxing videos.

Shipping is $3.99 USD to the US, $8.99 USD to Canada and $13.99 USD to everywhere else.
Also, you can sometimes order past boxes if there are leftovers from the IndieBox store.

TeeBlox

TeeBlox | Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com
TeeBlox is one of the newer kids on the mystery box block, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a look. This box is geared specifically at sartorial gamers looking to expand their wardrobe of video game related t-shirts. In addition to a super-cool, officially licensed tee, each box also contains stickers, buttons, comics or posters. Check out my inaugural TeeBlox review for an idea of what’s included.

Boxes are $9.99 USD and auto-renews unless you cancel.
Shipping is $2.50 USD to the US, $15.00 USD everywhere else.

Man Crates Retro Gamer Crate

Man Crate Retro Gamer Crate | Mystery Box Gift Guide for Gamers | Gamerwife.com
The Retro Gamer Crate by Man Crates, a company that creates a variety of gift packages for men is definitely the most deluxe box on this list, so I’d say it’s only for gamers who were extra, extra good this year. That said, the awesomeness of the contents more than justify the price tag. Unlike other mystery boxes, Man Crates are a one and done sort of deal, no subcription or membership required. The Retro Gamer Crate contains two classic NES games, and A RETRO-BIT CONSOLE to play them on. As well as a whole bunch of candy to consume while you relive the Nintendo glory days. It also comes in a legit wooden crate with an actual crowbar with which to pry it open.

The box is $109.99 USD, but for another $10 USD you can have it wrapped in a duct tapped cocoon for extra unwrapping fun.
Shipping starts at $13.25 USD to the US and $51.07 to Canada (includes customs charges).

November 16, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Hahah all fun. I’m kind of interested in the Gamer Girl Box! Yes, let’s support you getting cat litter!

November 18, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Haha. Sadly I’m not an affiliate for Gamer Girl Monthly… but I’m also very interested in trying it out.

November 16, 2015 at 4:14 pm

gamer girl monthly sounds neat! 🙂

November 18, 2015 at 5:27 pm

I’ve never tried it myself, but I’m dying to give it a try.

November 17, 2015 at 4:28 am

As soon as I saw that Retro Gamer Crate I knew my little bro would go nuts for it, I think for the price, and I imagine ridiculously shipping to Australia I might not mention that one to him 😛 If a lot of cash flow comes my way though, plans could change!

November 18, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t think the Retro Gamer Crate ships to AUS, but there are some other retro game monthly services that don’t include consoles that are available internationally.

Kyla
    November 17, 2015 at 7:54 pm

This is such a fun idea for a gift guide! I haven’t actually heard of Gamer Girl Monthly, but I have a few friends that this would be a great gift for. I also have to say, for any anime nerds, Omakase box by Viewster also makes a great gift ^^

November 18, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Yeah, I’m also very intrigued by the Gamer Girl Monthly box.

November 18, 2015 at 8:24 am

Love that Gamer Girl box! Haven’t heard of it before, and I like that it’s all aimed towards us gals.

November 18, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, it was new to me to. Looking forward to trying it out sometime in the new year.

Jessica Pyreflies
    November 19, 2015 at 9:17 pm

very cool post! Nerd Block sounds like a good one. and I hadn’t heard of gamer girl monthly… I’m going to definitely check that one out for myself!

November 19, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Nerd Block is great actually. They have a bunch of different boxes available, including a Sci-Fi box and boxes just for kids.

depepi
    November 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Oh no! More boxes xDDDDD I think that next year I might try the Nerd Block :p [This post is seriously tempting me]

November 21, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I really like Nerd Block, and I love that they have a selection of different blocks depending on your fandom leanings.

Desiree
    November 21, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Love ArcadeBlock and was sad that we had to cancel our subscription due to saving some pennies. The t-shirts alone are what get me.

I have a friend who gets Gamer Girl Monthly and she likes it. I’ve seen some of the unboxings and it looks decent if you have your ears pierced and like jewelry. Good value.

November 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm

If you like the t-shirts but need to save money, TeeBlox could be a good option for you. And thanks for the tip on Gamer Girl Monthly. I’ll be sure to check it out when my bank account is a little healthier. 😉

Ariel
    November 21, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Those all sound awesome. I’m not much of a gamer, because I haven’t been able to afford a game system. I have heard of Gamer Girl Monthly. It has been coming up on my Facebook a lot.

November 22, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, I’m eager to check that one out. And you don’t need a console to game. There are tons of super interesting (and inexpensive) games for the PC these days too.

Things I love - Monthly - Dina Farmer
    December 16, 2015 at 11:38 am

[…] Fun mystery boxes for gamers to get this holiday season! […]

• Penny for your thoughts...