Geek Life

5 Unexpected Benefits of Working From Home

5 Unexpected Benefits of Working From Home | Gamerwife.com

5 Unexpected Benefits of Working From Home | Gamerwife.com

I’ve worked from home off and on for a while now, and while most of us are familiar with the usual benefits (no commute, set your own hours, always there to receive packages…) I thought I’d take a minute and share with you some of the more unexpected benefits of working from home. Granted, not all of these benefits will apply to all of you, but I certainly appreciate them on a daily basis.

Not everyone can work from home, but if you can take advantage of your environment in the right ways, it can be an incredible place to work.

1. Cat cuddles on demand

Fine, this definitely doesn’t apply if you don’t have a cat at home, but I’m sure doggie love on demand is pretty good too. Or hamster love. Whatever. Just knowing that if I’m cranky or bored all I need to do is snuggles my pusses for a while to feel all better totally improves my day. It’s proven that hanging out with a pet totally reduces stress. Also, their stupid antics never fail to bring a smile to my face.

2. Slipper socks all day every day

Not sure what slipper socks are? They are the most comfortable, indulgent thing you can wear on your feet. They make me feel cozy and safe and still let my feet breath so I don’t get stank foot at the end of the day. Yes. My feet are smelly. Deal with it.

3. No one can judge my smelly candles

Speaking of smells, I like nice ones around me while I work. I also work in the same room as our litter box. To help with this I like to burn scented candles, but doing so in an office environment can be kinda dicey. Just ask Anderson Cooper. Rather than risk being pranked on camera by my coworkers or triggering Nancy’s migraines I figure I’ll just stay at home with my fire smells.

4. Afternoon dance parties

Like number 3, I suppose you could try this one in a traditional office environment, just be prepared for everyone to judge you until you inevitably quit out of embarrassment. We all know that moving around is a great way to beat the blahs, so if I find myself sagging in the afternoon I’ve been known to blast some Britney or put on a Zoomba routine and just shake it off. A little sweat and a raised heart beat can turn any day around. Then I can get back to cruising the internet for cute cat pictures. I mean working.

5. ALL THE COFFEE!!

Other than the rare days where Rick stays home sick, working from home means that if I want to drink an entire pot of coffee, I totally can. And it’s good coffee. And it’s mine. All. Mine.

What are the benefits of your current work environment?

Cate
    November 12, 2015 at 3:32 am

Yey for kitty cuddles xoxo

November 13, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, basically all of this (though sub tea for coffee in my case!). Not gonna lie, as much as I’m enjoying home schooling my kiddo, I’m really looking forward to her being in school next fall and I can work on art full time! YAY!!

November 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Ooh, that’s exciting.

Danielle @ From Girlie to Nerdy
    November 13, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Kitty cuddles are always a perk 🙂

November 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Even if they do wish I’d play with them more.

Brittany
    November 13, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Yeah, cat cuddles are pretty awesome. I have four so….lol

November 13, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Haha. I only have two… so far.

Kendall Ashley
    November 13, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I really, really, really would like to start working from home. I’m hoping that I can make that happen soon. However, working in an office does keep me more social. I can tend to be a bit of a hermit cave-troll if left to my own devices!

November 13, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Yeah, I have to make sure I schedule outings and friend dates for myself to make sure I don’t get too squirrely, but I’ve actually come to really like being a lone to work.

November 14, 2015 at 4:54 am

I take your kitty snuggles and up you toddler snuggles. 🙂 I think, getting to spend time at home with my little one is the best benefit an the daily park dates inspire me to write posts because I get all that fresh air while hanging with the little.

November 18, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Oh yes, fresh air is so crazy inspiring. It always sounded like such a cliche, but it’s totally true!

depepi
    November 14, 2015 at 3:10 pm

OMG! I can relate to this so much :p The gallons of coffee I intake are ridiculous xDDD Also, I love that I can create my own schedule as I see fit 😉 It’s cool! (But I need to remember when to stop working… one of the downfalls is that I get sucked up into working…. hmm)

November 18, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Oh yes, I totally know that trap. I usually use Rick coming home as my “quitting” time for the day, but if he’s out for the evening (or too absorbed by Fallout 4) I can just keep working, and working and working and then I wonder why I’m so tired all the time. Ha!

November 15, 2015 at 1:58 am

lol! I had to google slipper socks but yeah I totes have a few of those, I also appreciate that you can stay in whatever you slept in the night before, until you have to venture outside for something 😛 Cat cuddles is number 1 for sure for me 🙂

November 18, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’m a little embarrassed about how often I work in my pajamas since it’s usually seen as a work from home no-no, but I absolutely, totally take advantage of that one too.

November 16, 2015 at 3:12 pm

i have a dog sitting business from my own home so it’s definitely awesome to get all the doggie cuddles when i want and to work in comfortable clothes 🙂 i also worked from home when i was this one nonprofit and i just felt so much more productive being in my own environment and space – and being in my own quiet space probably fits in with my personality hence more productivity for me 🙂

November 18, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Yeah, I left out the working in my pajamas thing since some people would see this as a negative, I guess talking about my slipper socks was my compromise. And yeah, definitely enjoying the mental and physical comfort of working in my own space. It definitely helps me be more productive.

November 30, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Yes, YES, YESSS, YESSSS and YAAASSS!

It’s all true!

December 2, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I had a feeling you could relate to this one.