Geek Life

Fall To-Do List

Fall To-Do List | Gamerwife.com

Fall To-Do List | Gamerwife.com
So, I realize that I totally flaked on updating you all on my progress with my summer bucket list, but since I really only managed to do one of the things on it (rock a crop top, and even that didn’t happen until September), it’s probably for the best. While creating a list of things to do over the summer seemed like a good idea at the time, summer to me is more about lounging in the sun and letting the day take you where it will. It’s too hot and sweaty for plans. Which I guess is where I went wrong.

Fall, on the other hand, always inspires me to get down to business and get things done. I don’t know if it’s a holdover from my school days, when fall and homework went hand in hand, or if it goes even further into genetic memory of when my ancestors had to get the harvest ready before winter descended, but for some reason fall just seems like “get it done” time. So, I decided to share a little list of things I’m planning to get done this fall.

1. Keep Incorporating Yoga Into My Daily Routine

Although I started having trouble keeping up around week 3, I’ve really been enjoying the 30 Day Yoga Challenge I’ve been doing and would like to keep up daily practice through the fall and winter. Adrienne’s videos are so easy to follow and varied that I actually look forward to working out every day. Also, the difference I’ve noticed in my temperament, ability to focus, productivity, and energy levels is so marked that I’m hoping daily practice will help me combat my annual bout of SAD.

2. Retake My Office Space

We have yet to repair the shelf that crashed all over the place two months ago and my laptop screen has recently decided it no longer works, so “my” office space hasn’t really been that in far too long. While working from Rick’s PC is an okay holdover, the fact is, I need a new laptop and I need my own desk space that I have full ownership over. Especially now that I am getting serious about blogging and freelancing. The reasons this hasn’t happened yet is part laziness and part lack of money, but mostly it’s been because my office hadn’t been a priority. That has to end.

3. Get A Jump On My Christmas Knitting

I’m already doing pretty good on this one, thanks to a yarn sale and some Ravelry inspiration. Also, I’m very excited to finally have a baby girl I can knit lacy dresses for. I also kind of want to try my hand at some knitted toys for the littles. Can anyone recommend a good pattern?

4. Revamp marikomcdonald.com Into A Portfolio site

In addition to getting extra serious about blogging, I want to get extra serious about writing and freelancing as my primary source of income. Right now, I own the domain marikomcdonald.com, but it’s redirected to this blog. Eventually I’d like it to be a more general portfolio site for my writing and freelance work, maybe even including my voice acting work. We’ll see how it takes shape, but suggestions for layouts and formatting are greatly appreciated.

5. Drink Lots of Homemade Chai

Back when I first moved to Montreal (8 years ago!) I was introduced to homemade chai by a tea connoisseur friend. Now, whenever the weather starts to cool down I instinctively start hoarding loose leaf chai from Camellia Sinensis to enjoy on dreary Sunday mornings. I’m also very excited to see that they’ve released a non-caffeinated blend for movies nights tucked under a blanket.

What’s on your to-do list for fall?

readerlygeek
    October 5, 2015 at 9:39 am

I need to get started on my Christmas knitting too! I’ve started a scarf for my dad, but I think I have less than a foot of it done. I haven’t even made plans for everyone else yet. Last year, I was probably over halfway done with all my gifts at this point. This year, not so much.

October 5, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Yeah, last year I was NOT in the Christmas spirit at all and my projects all suffered as a result. This year I seem to have gotten a huge productivity boost right as fall started to set in, so I’m hoping that will keep me going.

October 5, 2015 at 9:56 am

Excellent goals Mariko! I agree with you completely that fall is a way more motivating time than the summer. Is FOCUS an acceptable goal?? If so, that’s my fall goal. I need to focus on accomplishing things, not starting a bunch of projects at once and never finishing them. Best of luck with your fall goals!

October 5, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Yes. FOCUS is a great goal. Really, all my goals are to the end of helping my Focus, which I re-established a couple of weeks. I making lists (long term, short term, on-going) and scheduling to be the best way to keep me focused right now.

Ari Carr
    October 5, 2015 at 10:08 am

Best of luck with your goals! Putting together a portfolio site sounds like a really good idea! Most of my autumn goals are finding a job (or some way to earn a little extra money before Xmas!) and organisational stuff.

October 5, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, I don’t know what it is about fall, but I feel much more motivated to organize and start projects than I do in the spring when you’re *supposed* to do all that stuff.

Ari Carr
        October 5, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Like you said, I think its the association of autumn with schoolwork. I always felt super motivated to do stuff at the start of the school year rather than halfway through it.

Celeste
    October 5, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Everything is better with chai, including tackling goals. I’m working on my own fall goal list right now and our blog goals for the next year. Good luck accomplishing everything! : D

October 5, 2015 at 3:35 pm

I also just discovered Pakistani coffee, which is basically chai coffee. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly quick, lol. Good luck with your goals!

October 5, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Excited for it to cool down around here. Finishing up enrollment for graduate school. Go to a pumpkin patch. Go to the Big Island.

October 5, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Ooh! Good luck with grad school. What are you planning to study?

October 5, 2015 at 4:27 pm

English, I was going to go for my MFA but the program would have drained all my money and they didn’t specialize in photography. 🙁

October 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm

As an English lit grad I can tell you that it is actually a lot more helpful than it seems at the time.

• Dina Farmer
            October 5, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I’m sure! When I finally get enrolled I’ll be very happy. Although the many months of writing might have me crying. I’m trying to focus in journalism/writing.

• Mariko
            October 5, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Yeah, I know that feel bro.

Cate
    October 5, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Good luck with your goals I definitely need to keep up with the Yoga to I always feel so much better when I start my morning with it xoxo

October 5, 2015 at 4:44 pm

It makes such a crazy difference. I almost can’t believe it.

October 5, 2015 at 5:12 pm

My new office is about 90% complete! only a few finishing touches left, but they’re all cosmetic. And I just have to say, it has made my day to day life so much HAPPIER and more productive. I get excited to be in this space for hours on end. So I hope yours comes together, we got ours done mostly on craigslist with selling the old stuff to finance the new {to us, as a lot was purchased on craigslist} and only one trip to ikea!

Good luck!

October 5, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thanks! Mostly we just need to repair the wall and rehang the shelf, but it still hasn’t happened yet. Hopefully we’ll finally find time this weekend.

depepi
    October 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I think that I’m going to join you in drinking lots of hommade Chai 😉 Love that idea!

xoxo
    dePepi.com

Danielle @ From Girlie to Nerdy
    October 5, 2015 at 9:45 pm

These are all awesome goals. I really, REALLY need to get back into yoga as I just feel so much better when I do it. Homemade chai sounds amazing 🙂

October 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thanks! I’ve had to take a little break from yoga again with this stupid flu, but I’m really looking forward to getting back to it.

October 6, 2015 at 4:27 am

I’ve been on the chai train but just recently it dawned on me that perhaps I was drinking more caffeine then I wanted so I tried a caffeine free brew the other month and the first few days were kind of crazy as I had to adjust amounts but now I can say I honestly love the brew as much as the caffeine version and am happier knowing it’s a slightly healthier option! Sounds like you’ve got an awesome game plan with your freelance work too! Good luck with it all and getting your space ready 🙂

October 6, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Thanks! I’m sure if you checked you’d see my blood was caffeinated.

Liz
    October 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Relaxation is on my list. Haha. After hustling my ass off all summer and spending nearly 6 weeks abroad writing a film, I’m ready to have some lazy weekends with Netflix. XO.

October 6, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, you’ve totally earned a “real” vacation. I spent too much of my summer with Netflix, so now’s my time to hustle.

Sophierocious
    October 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Good luck with your goals. I’m going to try to be more organized. It’s always on my goal list because I fail at it so much! >.<

October 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Thanks! I find consistency to help with organization. Finding systems that work into how you already do things will help you stick to them.

October 6, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Yoga! I think it’s excellent that you are incorporating it into your daily routine. I would like to get into it, but since I’m already working out 6 days a week, not sure where to fit it in lol.

I’ve been drinking all sorts of tea since it got cooler. Actually, I drink lots of tea regardless of the seasons, but it is more special in cooler weather. ^^

Hmm, I am also working on a few projects to become self-employed at the moment. That is pretty much taking up most of my time and my number one priority. XD

October 7, 2015 at 10:39 am

Maybe switch out one of your other workouts for yoga? I dunno, if your routine is already working for you…
      And good luck with your self-employment adventures!

Jo
    October 10, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Did you not drink Chai before?

October 11, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Before I moved to Montreal? Not really. But generally I prefer to drink it when the weather is colder. Feels comforting.

Friday I'm In Love - Gamerwife
    October 16, 2015 at 9:01 am

[…] pluggin’ away at the ol’ freelancing thing AND I managed to make some progress on my fall to-do list, namely re-take my office space and order a new (to me) […]

Winter To-Do List - Gamerwife
    December 9, 2015 at 3:43 pm

[…] I had, admittedly, mixed success with my fall to-do list, I like the idea of sharing my seasonal goals with all of you while also sharing some of my […]

• Penny for your thoughts...