Adventures

Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl

Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com

Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
Anyone who’s been reading this blog for any length of time has probably noticed that I am a bit of a cat fanatic. I make cat gift lists. I list “cat-mom” on my business cards. And I have a Pinterest board called “Crazy Cat Lady.”

So, when I realized that Montreal had not one, not two, but THREE cat cafes all within walking distance of each other I knew just what to do. I had to plan a Montreal cat cafe crawl. I ended up doing the crawl by myself, and turned it into a sort of self-pamper day with stops at Millenium Comics and Boutique Geekatorium. Included in my recap are mini-reviews of each cafe based on cats, ambiance, and food.

Cafe Venosa

Cafe Venosa | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
My first stop was also Montreal’s newest cat cafe, the all vegan Cafe Venosa. In addition to the delicious, cruelty free menu, Cafe Venosa also distinguishes itself as the only of the three cafes featured that allows cafe goers to adopt the cafe’s cats. While all cat cafes in Montreal exclusively feature rescue cats, Cafe Venosa is the only one that allows adoptions.

Cafe Venosa Collage | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
While the menu options are limited, there is a good selection of breakfast, lunch, sweet and savory options. I got a latte with soy milk (almond milk is also an option) and the quiche which was made with tofu and vegetables in a deliciously flaky phyllo crust.

Two of the resident cats were recently adopted, so there were only three fluffy friends wandering around. As is standard with most cat cafes, guests are persuaded not to bother cats when they’re sleeping, but orange tabby Hobbes did come say ‘hi’ when I munched on my lunch.

Cafe Venosa Hobbes & Tarquin | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
The decor at Cafe Venosa is bright and modern, more like a delicious vegan cafe that happens to be home to a few cats. They also host a board game night on Fridays if you’re into that kind of thing.

Despite being the newest cat cafe in town, Cafe Venosa might just very well have become my favourite.

Final Rating
Cats: cat emojicat emojicat emoji/5
Atmosphere: cat emoji cat emojicat emojicat emojicat emoji/5
Food: cat emojicat emojicat emojicat emojicat emoji/5

Cafe Chat L’Heureux

Cafe Cat L'Hereux | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
The second stop on my cat cafe crawl is also, arguably, the most famous. Cafe Chat L’Heureux was the subject of a very successful crowdfunding campaign to open North America’s first cat cafe. They ended up getting beaten to the punch by Le Cafe des Chats, but still stand out for their full menu, cat merchandise and trained cats that will give high-fives on demand. The atmosphere is a bit busy, but definitely still cozy.

Cafe Chat L'Heureux Collage | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
While a little on the pricey side, Cafe Chat L’Heureux is definitely the largest of Montreal’s cat cafes cat which makes it especially good for large groups. They also have the most comprehensive menu, with full meals and lots of desert options. While not vegan like Cafe Venosa, all options are at least vegetarian.

The higher prices are justified by also contributing to the welfare and upkeep of the resident kitties, which makes sense as Cafe Chat L’Heureux is definitely the best outfitted of Montreal’s cat cafes with elevated walkways, cat beds and scratching posts galore. That said, I still feel like $7.50 for a smoothie is a little goofy.

Cafe Cat L'Heureux Tea Pots & Kitties | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
Cafe Chat L’Heureux has a total of 10 cats “on staff” right now, including two unnamed kittens! The little grey kitten was especially friendly, jumping onto my lap to check out my comic book before bounding off to bother his black cat sibling.

Final Rating
Cats: cat emojicat emojicat emojicat emojicat emoji/5
Ambience: cat emojicat emojicat emojicat emoji/5
Food: cat emojicat emojicat emoji>/5

Le Cafe Des Chats

Le Cafe Des Chats | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
While able to claim the title of first cat cafe opened in Montreal, the search engine ready Le Cafe Des Chats is also the smallest of the three cafes I explored. It’s location right next to a metro station mean that it is pretty popular with tourists, despite having the most limited menu of any of the cat cafes.

Le Cafe Des Chats Collage | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
While the small size and 8 chats can make it feel a little cramped, Le Cafe Des Chats does have a chill out room for kitties who have had enough attention from the public. They are also the most vigilant about make sure guests wait to be seated, making sure they cleanse their hands with anti-bacterial gel before entering.

The menu is limited to bakery items and some sort of panini for $7.65. I got a small cupcake with rock hard icing that had clearly been in the fridge a little too long. While water is listed on the menu at $2.50, my glass seems to have been included with my cupcake.

King Kong & Big Foot Le Cafe Des Chats | Montreal Cat Cafe Crawl | Gamerwife.com
Le Cafe Des Chats also has cat art on offer and they appear to be a Royal Canin food dealer. While definitely my least favourite cat cafe in Montreal, Le Cafe Des Chats is still worth a look if you find yourself in the neighborhood.

Final Rating
Cats: cat emojicat emojicat emojicat emoji/5
Ambience: cat emojicat emoji/5
Food: cat emoji/5

All in all, the fact that Montreal now has 3 cat cafes that can all be visited in the course of one afternoon is pretty incredible and I encourage you all to go on your own cat cafe crawl if you ever find yourselves in the Plateau.

Have You Ever Been To A Cat Cafe?

September 2, 2015 at 9:28 am

Adding this to my list if we visit next year! I have wanted to visit a cat cafe since I first heard about them.

Cate
    September 2, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Bookmarking this for future reference because OMG KITTIES!!!

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    September 2, 2015 at 1:55 pm

This is so cool!!! I want to go to a cat cafe so bad. Maybe someday! 🙂 I love that you can adopt them at Cafe Venosa, too.

melificentmom
    September 2, 2015 at 2:28 pm

This is just way too cute! Although I’m allergic to cats, I’d still risk it for the cuteness level 😉

September 9, 2015 at 11:47 am

It’s worth it. Although apparently in Japan they have all sorts of animal cafes now to accommodate all sorts of allergies. Maybe you’d do better at a bunny cafe?

Kyla
    September 2, 2015 at 9:34 pm

What in the world?! I have never heard of a cat cafe before!! Plus, I was in Montreal not even a year ago and I completely missed all three of these 🙁 I would love to go to that first one, Cafe Venosa!

September 9, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Don’t feel too bad, the cat cafes are brand new to Montreal, they might not have even been open when you were here last year. The trend started in Japan, but now they’re all over (they have a few in the UK that I know of, and one in San Francisco too).

September 3, 2015 at 3:45 am

YAY – such love for this post! I feel like Cafe venosa and Des Chats need to combine powers to create the ultimate cafe! I love that Des Chats has high five kitties and is that a kitty sized sofa? Mega props for Venosa doing adoption and having a vegan menu 🙂 🙂

September 9, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Yea, Chat L’Heureux has a kitty sized sofa! I’ve never seen a cat use it, but I’ve only been there a couple of times. And I’m mega impressed with Venosa. I thought they were just another cafe jumping on the bandwagon, but they’re really doing so much right.

Fangirl Twirl
    September 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

I really wanted to go to a cat cafe while I was in Japan, but the only one I could find ended up being more of a cat playroom, since they charged by the half hour and basically a cat lady’s living room instead of a cafe. I think you could buy drinks out of a mini fridge.

I would love to visit one or two in Montreal!

September 9, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s a quirk about how restaurants are regulated in Montreal, but none of the cat cafes here have the minimum drink/hourly charge that most of the Japanese cat cafes do. They really are more like full cafes that just happen to have cats wandering around.

September 3, 2015 at 9:25 am

Cat cafes are popping up all over the place! I love how the cats just appear to be chilling all of the time. XD

September 9, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, usually the cats in these places are pretty chill, but the kittens at Chat L’Heureux were pretty rambunctious.

Kendall Ashley
    September 3, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I love the idea of a cat cafe so much, but it would drive me into allergy-induced misery. Now a dog cafe…

September 9, 2015 at 12:11 pm

There was a goat cafe in Japan that we’d wanted to visit but never found the time for.

September 6, 2015 at 3:30 am

That is so cool! But we couldn’t go! My husband is allergic to cats. I love the idea and I think that is super trendy and fun!

September 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, it’s so cool that my new home city is one of the first places in North America to jump on the cat cafe band wagon.

Jen
    September 7, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Oh, these look like fun places to check out! I will be adding these to my list of places to visit.

September 9, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Yes!!! You could easily hit all three in a day of wandering the Plateau, or just pick one and spend all your time there.

September 10, 2015 at 3:43 am

THREE?!! you have THREE???? I’m so jelly! We’re finally getting one soon, but I’m not sure of the exact opening date.

I adore your rating system!

September 10, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Teehee. Thanks. And yeah, I was stunned when the third one opened, but they all seem to have their own vibe, so hopefully they’re all successful.