Adventures Geek Life

Montreal Comiccon 2015

Tardis |Comiccon Mtl | Gamerwife.com
I know most of you are probably recovering from SDCC mania right now, whether you were there in San Diego in person or had to just live vicariously through your social media accounts like me, so I decided to share my recent trip to Montreal’s own Comiccon to help you with your SDCC withdrawal. Although I only attended one day of the event and had to cut that short due to extreme fatigue, I had a great time and will do everything in my power to be more involved next year.

GGBMtl Comic Con Brunchettes | Comic Con Mtl 2015 | Gamerwife.com
My Montreal Comiccon experience started with Geek Girl Brunch Montreal’s Comiccon Dim Sum brunch that I co-hosted with my fellow officers Tuuli, Gina & Sarah (full write up coming to the Geek Girl Brunch site soon). Sadly I COULD. NOT. SLEEP. the night before and turned up 30 mins late on a mere 2.5 hrs of sleep. Not ideal, since the convention center is pretty far from my house and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to sneak home for a nap between brunch and the convention, but hey, what can you do. So, I just made peace with the fact that I would be pretty out of it for most of the day and got on with it.

Mad Max |Comic Con Mtl 2015 | Gamerwife.com
One side-effect of being so loopy was that I forgot to take many pictures while I was at the convention. Since I knew I’d be leaving earlier than I’d planned on originally, I didn’t even bother going to any panels (even the ones my friends were on) so I could focus on seeing as much as the show floor as I could before I ran home to fall into bed. Apparently the convention has grown by a third every year that it is held with this being the biggest Montreal Comiccon yet. There was even a video game presence, both from the big studios like WB and Ubisoft, as well as an indie alley were many of my friends were demoing their games.

Loot |Comic Con Mtl | Gamerwife.com
However, one of the good things about being on the verge of a panic attack the whole time was that I got too freaked out to spend too much money, so I guess there’s that. What I did manage to get my hands on were a few trade paperbacks I’d been looking for (Gotham Academy, Ms. Marvel Vol. 3 & Vol. 1 of the Bendis Daredevil), a neat sounding supernatural novel by Jen Frankel (not pictured), some rad postcards by the always amazing Genevieve FT, a Hawkeyes sticker by Sarah Quirion, some bookmarks by Fabled Creative, a Lil Bub illustration (totally forgot who did it, doh) & the sweetest pair of R2 D2 earrings by Lilipop. I am totally obsessed with those earrings! They are such nice quality and also the perfect size.

I’m sure you’ll see them in a favourites video soon.

Been to any good cons lately?

July 13, 2015 at 9:32 am

Looks like a good time (with the exception of lack of sleep!). I really want to get my hands on Gotham Academy as well!

July 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

It’s really fun, I definitely recommend it.

Jenn
    July 14, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Lack of sleep is never fun, but I’m glad you still got to see some cool stuff at the con. I can’t wait to see a close-up of those earrings!

July 14, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Thanks, Jenn. I really wish I’d been able to stay longer, but I was starting to feel like I was swimming instead of walking. And the earrings will definitely be featured in my July favourites post, so I’ll make sure to include some closeups then.

Erin Radler (@eradscantina)
    July 15, 2015 at 2:11 am

Oh my goodness!! I haven’t been blogging in sometime, and I just came back to your blog and HOLY COW IT LOOKS SO GOOD! And i love your hair and it looks like you had such a good time at comicon and with ggb, and ALL THE THINGS!

July 16, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Thank you so much. I caved and paid for a logo and a professionally designed template, but I’m very happy with the results.

July 15, 2015 at 2:24 am

Sucks about the lack of sleep but nice to still get to go and that’s one impressive haul – even if you did go easy on the spending!

July 16, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Yeah… I might not have gone as easy on the spending as I’d like to think I did…

July 15, 2015 at 8:48 am

I haven’t been to a con in like forever. and one of my favorite stories coming out of san diego was seeing Congressman John Lewis dress up as a younger version of him from his graphic novel March, which recounts the days when he was fighting for civil rights. I think his coat and bag were from when he was a youth during then!

July 16, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Wow, that’s incredible.

Kerry
    July 17, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Looks like a fun show! I have no desire to go to SDCC – way too big for me. Looks like you managed a great haul of goodies even though you couldn’t stay long – those postcards are adorable!

July 17, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Thanks! I love Genevieve FT’s work.

July 21, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Ah, I got to live though you for just a bit… One day, I’d like to go there. 🙂

July 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Montreal? Or Comiccon? If you do ever make it to this side of the pond I’d love to show you around.

Jessica Pyreflies
    July 22, 2015 at 1:48 pm

That sucks that you didn’t get enough sleep 🙁 But it looks like it was a cool con! I haven’t been to one in months. I was going to pay for tickets to go one in December but I ended up not buying them. I do like going to cons but I always spend sooo much money and I’m trying to NOT spend so much right now. Oh adult life!

Jessica | Pyreflies.org

July 22, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Yeah, I’ve been missing out on a bunch of things because of my current budget. As it is I probably overspent a bit, but I could easily have spent MUCH more. No POPs for me this time.

Celeste
    July 26, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Looks like it was a good time! Those prints are pretty great. I just finished reading vol 3 of Ms. Marvel; Kamala is so lovable.

July 29, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I also really like the way they’re handling her relationship with Bruno. It’s surprisingly grounded for a teen book.

Goals & Resolutions 2016 - Gamerwife
    January 18, 2016 at 4:08 pm

[…] more conventions! I had an amazing time as usual at PAX East, and incredible times at both Comiccon Montreal and Otakuthon which I attended for the first time last year. Hopefully this year I’ll get to […]

• Penny for your thoughts...