Adventures

My Summer Bucket List

My Summer Bucket List | Gamerwife.com
Now that summer is upon us and I’m feeling ready to take on the world, I decided it would be fun to come up with a few activities for myself to tackle during these hotter months. A summer bucket list as it were. Most are things that only work outside, but one is a little personal goal I know that can tackle now that I’m back to working from home.

1. Ride a roller coaster.
This is one that Rick and I say we will do every summer and every summer we fail to do it. La Ronde, the Six Flags park in Montreal is also home to the largest wooden roller coaster in Canada, called (appropriately enough) Le Monstre. I’m actually a HUGE roller coaster fan and a wooden roller coaster aficionado in particular, so the fact that I have yet to ride Le Monstre makes absolutely no sense at all. I figure that by putting it on this list we’ll have no choice but to finally do it.

2. Rock a crop top.
Body confidence is not one of my strong suits, but a new sensible exercise routine and the inspiration of the supremely bad-ass Margot Meanie make me think that I might actually be able to pull this off. I’m not generally one to flash a lot of flesh (I am rapidly approaching mutton-hood, after all), but I never had the confidence to rock this one when they came around the first time, so I figure now might be my last chance to give it a try.

3. Do yoga outside.
I’ve been out of practice for a while, but I love the way doing yoga makes me feel, both body wise and mind wise. So why not take advantage of the fact that there are multiple yoga studios offering outdoor sessions at my local park? I’d been scared of exercising this out in public, but now that I have a flexible schedule again, it seems silly not to at least give it a try.

4. Watch a movie under the stars.
I love movies. I love stars. I love the fact that Montreal has such a wide variety of free outdoor activities. This year they’re even setting up a screen right in the heart of downtown that’ll be screening flicks all summer in conjunction with the various summer festivals. No guarantee I’ll be able to get Rick to come with me since he hates crowds, but personally I can’t wait to see what’s on offer.

5. Learn Esperanto.
Okay, this one probably seems a little (okay, a lot) strange, but bear with me. For those of you not familiar with Esperanto, it’s an artificial language that’s been around since 1887. I’m anything but good at languages, but Esperanto was constructed specifically to be logical and super-easy to learn. Apparently it only takes a couple of months to become fluent, and because it’s based on Romance languages Esperanto is a great bridge to learning lots of other languages I don’t already speak like Spanish and Italian. I also like that Esperato is a “utopian” language, created to break down barriers and promote peace, meaning the the community around it is especially welcoming and supportive.

Do you have any special projects planned this summer?

readerlygeek
    June 15, 2015 at 9:18 am

Every summer, I say I’m going to go to a Drive-In Movie, but I’ve still never been to one. I hope this year I can actually get that checked off my list. I totally want to rock a crop top too. I got a pair of high-waisted polka dot jeans that one would look awesome with so now I just have to take the next step and get myself a short shirt!

June 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Polka dot jeans?! Those sound hot! And I miss going to the Drive-In. There’s one not too far from us, but not having a car kinda puts a cramp in that plan.

B
    June 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I love roller coasters too! I’d like to get down the beach some time this summer!

June 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I’m not much of a beach goer, but I do like a good picnic when the weather’s right.

Ari Carr
    June 15, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I want to branch out into crop tops this summer too! After seeing so many cute ones I think I’m finally ready to make the jump.

June 25, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Yeah, I’m leaving this one to the end of the summer to give me a little more time to work on “the handles,” but I have a feeling I’m gonna look CUTE!

kat
    June 15, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Can we do roller coasters when I come to visit? I only get to go on kiddie rides these days

June 25, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Damn. That would have been fun. Oh well.

June 16, 2015 at 8:29 am

We are planning on doing a movie under the stars this week! Our local park offers kids movies two Fridays a month that they project on a big screen…my little miss is so excited! I’m hoping to get to the drive-in this summer. We have one a couple towns over, but I’ve still never been to a drive in movie. Good luck with your bucket list!

June 25, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Thank you! I still need to see what exactly is playing outside, but I’m already very excited. Have fun at the drive-in!

Jenn
    June 16, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Practicing yoga outside has been on my mind since the weather warmed up, but I haven’t mustered up the courage yet. Riding a rollercoaster is on my goals list, too… perhaps not this summer, but eventually. I’ve only ever been on kiddie coasters and those definitely don’t count. Good luck with all your summer goals!

June 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Thank you! I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little intimidated by doing yoga that publicly, but not giving a try at least once seems like too much of a shame.

June 17, 2015 at 8:43 am

I had no idea Esperanto was a thing. How interesting! Would be awesome to learn that. ^^

June 25, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Apparently it is pretty easy, especially if you already have a romance language background (French, Italian, Spanish, etc.).

June 23, 2015 at 2:58 pm

the movie thing definitely for us. we just saw a deal on livingsocial that we’re purchasing and hoping to go one of these nights! and i’m terrified of roller coasters. the old wooden ones are the worst!

June 25, 2015 at 10:48 pm

The roller coaster I’ve ridden the most is a wooden one, so I guess I have a certain nostalgia for them. But yeah, I totally get how they’d be extra scary if you weren’t into roller coasters to start with.

June 23, 2015 at 5:06 pm

oooooh, I am salivating over Le Monstre.! I adore a good wooden roller coaster! I love the one here in Vancouver, it’s one of my fav all time rides, right up there with the swings and crazy beach party!

DO IT! rock that crop!!! <3 <3 <3

We have some screens being set up for summer night viewings as well! I really want to go to one. I just have to pick which movie and if I wanna go to Stanley Park or Canada Place. Harry Potter or Breakfast Club?!!!

googles "esperanto" to find out more….

So happy to see you back blogging!! <3 <3 <3

June 25, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I miss The Coaster. I spend a season working at Playland, which basically meant FREE COASTER RIDES ALL DAY. That was great.

July 2, 2015 at 4:32 am

Never heard of Esperanto but sounds amazing, language is something I feel guilty about for not grasping quicker than I do! Also you should totally rock that crop top!!!

July 6, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I am absolutely terrible with languages, but I’ve been intrigued by Esperanto for so long I figured it was high time I at least give it a try.