Adventures Geek Life

Recent Adventures

Recent Adventures | Gamerwife.com
Being that I haven’t been blogging in a while, I figured I’d celebrate my return to full-time blogging by rounding up what I’ve been up to lately. While it’s true that I did do my fair share of wallowing and watching trash TV, I also managed to do a whole bunch of really exciting things that I totally wanted to share with you at the time and then totally forgot.

Judging the Montreal Indie Game Festival

Montreal Indie Game Festival | Recent Adventures | Gamerwife.com This one was such a crazy honour, I almost still can’t believe it really happened. Despite a very vibrant indie game scene here in Montreal, there still weren’t any annual gaming events dedicated specifically to indie games. So, my friends Salim and Osama decided to organize one, The Montreal Indie Game Festival, and I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of 5 judges playing and ranking all of the games. Which was actually a pretty daunting task, with over 30 games in competition and a mere 4 hours to play and rate them all.

Due to the way things were organized, we also found ourselves competing with the public to play many of the games, meaning that most of use barely managed to play half the games on offer. Be that as it may, we still stand by our choices, awarding prizes for Gameplay Design, Sound Design, Narrative Design, Art Direction and Innovation. It was a total blast and I hope to participate in many editions in the future.

Taking About My Skates on Things Podcast

Things Podcasts Skates | Recent Adventures | Gamerwife.com My good friend and fellow gamerwife, Cindy Yin, just launched a new podcast called Things where she talks to people and their stuff and why they’ve kept it. In episode 7, I got the chance to talk to Cindy about my figure skates, sports in Canada, and Asian representation on television. It was so, so much fun and I urge you all to give it a listen. Also, check out this bonus moment where I try to explain the term “doctor actor.”

Running Sessions at GameLoop Montreal

Game Loop MTL | Recent Adventures | Gamerwife.com This was another totally unexpected, but totally amazing experience. GameLoop is a super-cool open concept type of game conference where the attendees are also the peoples pitching and running the sessions. The day started by going around the room and finding out what everyone was interested in, then people got to pitch sessions based on what people wanted to talk about. After that we all got to vote on what sessions we wanted to attend and a schedule was created.

It was such a wonderful, open, and inspiring experience. I ended up leading two sessions, one I pitched on Sex and Romance in Games (subtitle: Moving Away From The Sex As Reward Mechanic) and another on Diversity and Representation in games. It was so amazing to be surrounded by such open-minded, intelligent people who all share the same passion for video games and how they could be better. It was basically like an entire day of your favourite discussion group from college, but just about video games.

If you ever hear of a GameLoop event happening in your area (or you’re interested in running one) I totally recommend it. Best way to spend a Saturday I’ve experienced in a long time.

Launching Geek Girl Brunch Montreal

GGB Montreal Avengers Brunch | Recent Adventures | Gamerwife.com And finally, if you’ve been paying attention to my sidebar you might have noticed that I am an officer for Geek Girl Brunch, which just launch in Montreal. Our first event was an Avengers themed brunch with some amazing casual cosplay, followed by all going out to see The Avengers: Age of Ultron together. It was incredibly fun and provided lots of inspiration to make our next event even better! Stay tuned for details of our Ghibli Bento Picnic soon.

What have you gotten up to lately?

Stephanie Medeiros (@ohnerdjoy)
    June 9, 2015 at 9:09 am

Hey, love the new logo! You’ve been pretty active and it’s amazing to see more and more Geek Girl Brunch chapters opening up. 🙂 Also, congrats on being a judge! Maybe next time they will let the judges play the games without being distracted or having to deal with other participants and then have you make your decisions.

June 9, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Thanks, Stephanie! I’ve already spoken to the organizers and suggested making the games available before the festival for the judges to play at home. We were supposed to have an hour before the festival opened to the public to play stuff, but more of the exhibitors were still setting up, so that didn’t really work.

B
    June 9, 2015 at 9:25 am

Sounds like you’ve been busy! And I love the new theme here!

June 9, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it too.

Kendall Ashley
    June 9, 2015 at 9:53 am

Sounds awesome! Also, I love that you have figure skates tucked away. I kept mine tucked away for YEARS before finally getting rid of them. 🙂 I’m glad you were able to get a GGB started up in your area! I’m still working on getting one up and running in mine. It’s so cool seeing all these new GGB chapters pop up around the world!

June 9, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Thanks, Kendall. I had no idea you were a fellow skater. I don’t get to skate nearly as much as I’d like to these days, but they cost me so much when I got them (20 years ago :0) I just can’t bring myself to give them up.

Kendall Ashley
        June 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm

“Fellow skater” is a generous term. 🙂 I skated for about a year, did a bit of competing, had to take a break for a bit, came back, broke my arm while skating, and was done with the hardcore competitive stuff. I do love skating though, just only as a fun hobby. It is so fun and freeing. I don’t skate nearly as much as I’d like either.

Jessica Pyreflies
    June 9, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Looks like you’ve been up to a lot! The Avengers themed brunch sounds like it was so much fun 🙂

Jessica
    Pyreflies.org

June 9, 2015 at 8:26 pm

It was fun! I can’t wait for the next GGB event.

Kerry
    June 9, 2015 at 5:47 pm

You’ve been busy with so much cool stuff! A string of life stuff & work stuff has eaten into my fun stuff time lately, but I’m getting ready to go on a vacation that will include a trip to Heroes Con (I just have a ton of work to finish before I go – eek!).

I love the idea of the Things podcast – and your description of the Doctor Actor…so true!

June 9, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I’m not familiar with Heroes Con, but it sounds super fun. Hope things settle down for you soon so you can properly enjoy your vacation!

June 9, 2015 at 7:03 pm

An Avengers Geek Girl Brunch sounds amazing! And trying to fit in gameplay on 30 games in 4 hours….that sounds so incredibly daunting! I didn’t know you ice skated – that’s so cool! I have never been a fan, but that has more to do with a complete lack of grace than any dislike of the sport itself. Things that involve coordinated body movement are SO not my forte.

June 9, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I don’t get to skate that often these days, especially since Rick doesn’t skate either (which is weird because is a native Quebecer, land of winter sports). But I do try to drag him out when I can.

June 11, 2015 at 4:46 pm

oooh, that brunch sounds like so much fun! What a great idea.

You’ve been up to some pretty amazing things lately! and I will now incorporate “doctor actor” into my vernacular!
    XD

June 11, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Yay! Although I have to give Rick the true credit for Doctor Actor, but we used it all the time time.

Celeste
    June 14, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Yay for spreading GGB to Montreal! What’s your favorite part of planning the brunches so far?

June 25, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I really like getting to come up with themes and then figuring out ways to incorporate them into the brunch. Although not super well attended, the Ghibli Bento brunch was extra fun to plan.

June 24, 2015 at 5:01 pm

The lunch seems like fun! I’d love something like that here in Zurich. ^^

June 25, 2015 at 10:55 pm

You should start up a branch!