Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #115

Princess Zelda Siames Escalante Press Start 3 Ltd Art Gallery

Princess Zelda by Siames Escalante available at Ltd Art Gallery

Hello my lovelies!

Did you notice my new logo? Isn’t it gorgeous? I’m so happy with it I still swoon every time I see it. It was made by the very talented (and patient) Chris Salazar. Check out his work, he’s great!

This week was another whirlwind in indie game development, but I do feel like things are (actually) starting to settle down. I even tried out a new yoga studio. Yay!

This weekend I have the honour of acting as a judge for the first ever Montreal Independent Games Festival and I’ll be recording an interview for my friend Cindy’s podcast Things. I’ll have lots more details on all of that as it happens.

Link time!
Some thoughts on my recent trips to GDC & PAX East.

Why video games scroll left to right. Guess what? It’s SCIENCE!

The secret Ketamine origins of Ecco the Dolphin.

Can we stop agonizing over “screen-time” for our kids?

Interview with the director of GTFO about women, games and harassment.

Could video games lead to better stroke recovery stats?

How many of these awesome lady-centric comics are you reading? I’m only on 4, but they all look great!

Clickhole made a noir-themed text adventure. It’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect. (That is to say, it’s AMAZING!)

I haven’t seen Jupiter Rising, but this article kind of makes me want to.

Even Lara Croft has trouble dying on mic.

Natalie Patalie (@natalie_patalie)
    March 27, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I LOVE your new logo! Swooning right along with you <3

March 31, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Thank you, Natalie. I’m soooo happy with it. I’d debated getting someone else to create a logo, but I’m so glad I did. Chris did an amazing job.

March 28, 2015 at 9:07 am

Ah, the new logo is amazing! And yay for a new yoga studio…I need to get back on track with yoga. However, I did just start regularly running again so I guess that’s something? 🙂 So many amazing links here this week….I could ramble on about so many of them! I think my fave was the screen time one. As a parent, while I don’t agree with zero limitations, I do completely agree that people freak out about screen time WAY TOO MUCH. But then again, that’s true of way more than just screen time (sugar, gluten, dairy….take your pick haha).

March 31, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Did you hear about the school in Britain that warned parents not to let their kids play violent video games, otherwise they’d call the authorities on them, aledging it was a form of child abuse? I mean, I don’t think anyone under 15 should be playing GTA 5 at all, but still…

March 30, 2015 at 7:17 am

Such a great logo!!

March 31, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait until I get by business cards. They’re gonna be sharp!

Ari Carr
    April 1, 2015 at 6:23 pm

I love your new logo and design! It looks so awesome 😀
    I tagged you in the Liebster Award by the way- http://comicsandcookies.com/2015/04/01/liebster-award-2/

April 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Thank you, Ari! I was nominated for a Liebster recently, so I won’t do a post, but the gesture is deeply appreciated. <3

April 2, 2015 at 4:19 pm

YAY!! You’re back!!! <3 <3 <3

gamerwife
      April 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm

You can’t keep a good geek down. Can’t say how consistent I’ll be to start, but I’m working on a better schedule that will make the work/blog balance a little easier for me to manage. 🙂

Neri
    April 6, 2015 at 7:10 am

The screen time article you linked could not have come at a better time for me. I wrote a few weeks ago about how my son is having meltdowns when I tell him no more (I ended up speaking to his teacher, turns out most the kids were having meltdowns about random things since it was end of term and they were all burnt out) andddd yet he’s watching something on Netflix as we speak. Oops!

The new logo is divine! Very nice 😀

April 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Yeah, one of the problems I’m noticing more and more with the modern internet is that there is just too much finger wagging, and I’m sure when you’re a parent it’s even worse. As a currently childless woman in my mid-thirties, it’s far from me to judge what is best for someone else’s child. If it works for you and it works for your kids, I say live and let live.

Eimear
    May 15, 2015 at 6:04 am

Love your blog! I don’t get to game as much as I’d like but I’m learning some really interesting things here. Totally gonna impress my OH with the reason for right scrolling later ^_~

May 18, 2015 at 12:45 pm