Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #114

Possessed Pixels | Friday I'm In Love | Gamerwife

Possessed Pixels available at Cherry Sauce

Hello lovelies!

How was your week?

I’m finally getting into the groove of this whole “independent game development” thing.

I think.

At least, I managed to get some VERY IMPORTANT but VERY BORING things done. Also, I managed to nail down accommodations in San Francisco for when I attend the Game Developers Conference in March, which is good because I don’t think Rick was that into the idea of me sleeping at the bus station…

This weekend I am looking forward to cooking a romantic meal for two with my hubby and then stocking up on discounted Valentine’s Day candy. What are you up to?

Link time!

Totally forgot to post this IGDA demo night roundup two weeks ago when it was relevant, but you guys don’t need to know that. I’d also give shout-outs to Black the Fall, Curses ‘N Chaos, Close Castles & KWAAN.

Heartbreaking piece about The Sims and divorce.

Yes, Gamergate is still happening. And it’s still scary.

Now that I am actually living the life on indie dev, I can tell you, number 5 is so real it hurts.

Speaking of indie games, I really liked this article about how indie isn’t a path to AAA. For most devs, it’s actually the opposite.

Do games have to be a power fantasy? What if you aren’t the hero?

Animals sneezing!

Honestly, part of the reason I’m so proud to be in game dev is to prove to other women that we can!

Need to add Cardboard Utopia to this list of 21 small game studios to watch in 2015.

And finally, I am soooo excited for the new game experience from my friends at KO-OP Mode.

Kendall Ashley
    February 13, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I love the every woman needs a hero article. So inspiring. And, of course, the animals sneezing. Because, obviously.
    Really though, it is so awesome that you’re really jumping in to indie game development. Truly, I think it’s awesome and great.

February 18, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Thanks! It’s terrifying, a lot of the time, honestly. But I already feel like just my presence in a room is helping others to recognize that women are part of this industry and maybe some of there assumptions deserve being challenged.

Kendall Ashley
        February 18, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Oh, I can totally understand why it’d be terrifying! Geez! But it’s so awesome that you’re taking that leap in spite of it all. So awesome.

Kayly Nyman
    February 13, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I’m so excited to follow along withe Cardboard Utopia projects! Love getting the newsletter, and both the hubs and I are always excited for more WoZ news. Really enjoyed the article about gaming and ego….I never thought about how playing games where things constantly revolve around ‘you’ as the main character have an impact in real life. Interesting!

February 18, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Yeah, I can’t say I agree 100% with all the assertions about how games affect your world view, but I definitely love seeing the concept explored.

So glad to hear you’re enjoying the updates. Hopefully we’ll have a lot more to show in next couple of months. And I’ll definitely keep you and your hubs in mind when we move to closed player testing (soon).

February 15, 2015 at 6:45 am

Sounds like life is going in great forward directions for you 🙂 🙂 Super congrats!

How friggen scary is the gamergate thing, gosh what a messed up place we live in – thank goodness the animals make things better – the frozen sneezes are too cute!

February 18, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Yes! Animal sneezes make everything better.

February 16, 2015 at 7:30 pm

eeesh, gamergate is so terrifying! I can’t believe so much criminal activity is going completely unchecked. Horrific.

February 18, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I mean, this type of harassment is far from gaming specific, but GG is a good example of how something so innocuous (games) can be used as a platform for awfulness. And the worst part is that it is working to scare women away from speaking up.

February 20, 2015 at 5:22 pm

This whole Gamergate thing is just gotten out of hand… I can’t believe the world sometimes… I was watching a bunch of TED talks on various topics, some talks by women, and to see the comments… It’s so sad really. =__=