Like I did last year, I’m going to split up my resolutions and goals into three categories: Life, Blog, and Career. While last year saw me trying to set up an indie game consulting business, this year I will be transitioning back to full(ish) time work by joining Cardboard Utopia, a fledgling indie studio I had been working with on a contract basis.
Because of this, I’ve also decided to stop doing video game reviews on the blog. With me as a founding member of an indie studio and Rick back working in the industry at the AAA level, I’m afraid my reviews could be accused of bias, and they are rather time consuming, especially when the game isn’t as good as it should be. Mostly I found that my reviews were among my least popular posts last year, and I’d really rather focus my energies on content you guys are interested in reading and sharing.
This year’s blogging goals:
- Find another 12 Dames Who Make Games – I had so much fun with the email interviews last year, I just wanna keep doing it!
- Make more Let’s Play Videos – This is a little tricky since Rick is involved too, but I feel like the two we managed last year were really fun and we were just starting to hit our stride.
- Complete the redesign – You might have noticed I’ve been sprucing up the sidebar and playing around with fonts and colours. I also have a new header in the works and a few more little changes I want to make, hopefully in time for my birthday in February.
With regards to my personal goals from 2014, I don’t think I succeeded at a single one. Even something easy like read 3 novels didn’t happen. I think I read two, maybe two and two halves? And my exercise goal was a complete farce. Despite starting off the year strong, signing up for DietBets was actually disastrous for me health wise and caused me to relapse on some very bad eating habits. My goals this year are more holistic and hopefully more realistic.
My personal resolutions for 2015:
- Manage my stress better – With my new job this will be critical, so it’s time to get serious about exercising and eating better.
- Read more – I’m hoping I can do it with the right schedule and the right books. Suggestions welcome.
- Spend more time with friends – Working from home it’s been far too easy for me to just cocoon in my little office and shun the outside world. I need friendly stimulation and support.
As for my business goals, I never did finish that e-book, but I also never really felt settled as a consultant. I’ll be revamping my business site as a portfolio site and moving my marketing blog posts here under the category Indie Biz. I may continue that series, from a more insider perspective, but I’m going to leave that as time dependent.
My 2015 career goals:
- Help Jason finalize the business plan for Cardboard Utopia.
- Launch the Kickstarter campaign for War of Zodiarcs.
- Show off the game at at least one convention or festival.
And, just like I did last year, I made some Geekolutions:
- More Cosplay! – My goal this year is two new cosplays! Wish me luck.
- Video Games! – Rick has made me a list of JRPGs to play as research for my new job, I’ve got a year to get through them.
- Launch Geek Girl Brunch! – Yes, that’s right! I’m involved with launching a branch of Geek Girl Brunch in my adopted home town of Montreal. We’re hoping for a May launch date, so if you’re in town and wanna join us, sign up now!