Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #110

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

Nintendo Game Boy Traditional Tattoo Flash Art by Yukitten'Me | Friday I'm In Love | Gamerwife.com

Nintendo Game Boy Traditional Tattoo Flash Art by Yukitten’Me available on Etsy

I hope you all had a wonderful NYE and that you’ve mostly recovered from your hangovers. Rick and I opted for a sober New Year, mostly because we’ve just had WAY TOO MUCH STUFF going on these last couple of weeks, and now we’re preparing to do something super-secret and super-fun.

I hope 2015 is treating your well so far.

Link Time!
Super-rad interview with the cartoonist behind that LEGO Friends comic I posted last week.

Would you agree that D&D is experiencing a renaissance? Or is the mainstream media just catching on?

The Mary Sue has posted their list of the 15 top games of 2014 with awesome lady representation.

Also, over on Polygon, Danielle Riendeau rounds up her favourite ladies from the games of 2014.

Kotaku has a list of the prettiest games of 2014, and boy, were games pretty this year.

Speaking of pretty, I’m really digging these pieces inspired by gaming nostalgia.

Joystiq has a really fun list of their favourite new video game characters of 2014.

How many of these 20 Must Play JRPGs have you played? I’m currently at 0, but I’m hoping to change that in 2015.

January 2, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I love the nostalgia game illustrations! Actually, that whole site has a ton of great stuff, I just got totally sucked in! I’ve only played 8 out of the 20 JRPGs on that list, but they were incredible. Many I haven’t played since I was in middle school or younger (Secret of Mana was one of my first!).

January 2, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Yeah, Medium can be very addictive. I like that they often include how long a read an article is before you dive in. Very helpful. And I’m not a big JRPG player, but I just started Chrono Trigger, and I have to say I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

Erin Radler
    January 2, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I too am at 0 on that list of jrpgs, but I remember many of those titles fondly growing up. My sister was REALLY into jrpgs. Specifically chrono trigger 😉

January 2, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I just started playing Chrono Trigger since my new job is working on a JRPG. Rick is a die-hard fan and made me a research list…

Desiree
    January 2, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Love that gameboy print.

January 11, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Me too! I’m a huge sucker for geeky tattoo style art.

January 3, 2015 at 5:48 am

Video game art has gotten so good damn beautiful! I remember when they used to work so hard on the artwork for the opening scene but then the rest of the game would be in a totally different (low fi) artwork – nothing wrong with that but it’s impressive for me to see whole games rendered so beautifully!

January 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, for me the real leaps are in the lighting and dynamic weather programs. Lighting makes such a difference in how “real” something appears, imo.

January 3, 2015 at 11:27 am

I have played Kingdom Hearts II, since the Kingdom hearts games are my favourite games of all times… Therefore you have to start with Kingdom Hearts…. I hope you realise you don’t have a choice in the matter… And I’m not really obsessed or anything like that with Kingdom Hearts as we all can clearly see… So…. LOL…. XD

January 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm

A lot of people have recommended Kingdom Hearts to me, but I always found the FF x Disney thing a little too weird. ;p I certainly understand why other people like them, but I’ve never actually played any of them, so maybe I’ll change my mind if I do…

Jen
    January 3, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Those gaming nostalgia pieces are amazing!!

January 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I especially like how a lot of them are sort of obscure, which makes them even more personal.

January 5, 2015 at 10:30 am

I love that D&D article. I remember playing with my brother in elementary school. My brother was the dungeon master and one time he killed off my dog or wolf companion and I started to cry and he somehow revived it back. lol. I think he still has all his D&D books and dice. He was always good about keeping his hobbies in pristine condition, so unlike me. I got a lot of my exposure and interest in D&D, Nintendo, video/computer games in general, mecha anime and manga and other nerdy and geeky things from him! And I’m glad 🙂

January 11, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Happy I could bring up some happy nerdy memories for you! I tried to be that nerdy influence for my little brother, introducing him to comic books and weird movies. Not sure how well I succeeded, but we still love geeking out over Star Trek together.

Joie Fatale
    January 8, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Oh man! I saved that Lego comic! I want to print it out and hang it in Target’s Toy aisles!!!!

January 11, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Hehe. She really hit a nerve with that one, didn’t she?