Geek Life

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014 | gamerwife.com

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014 | gamerwife.com Full Disclosure: I was given a Geek Fuel box for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

If you’ve been following this blog for a while you may have noticed that I have a thing for subscription boxes. I mean, who doesn’t like getting stuff in the mail? Especially when it’s a giant box of nerdy goodness. So, when the people behind brand new mystery box service Geek Fuel got in touch to see if I wanted to try out their service I’d be lying if I didn’t say I jumped at the chance.

Geek Fuel actually ran a Kickstarter campaign earlier this year to help jump-start the business and launched successfully this December, just in time for Christmas. I was lucky enough to get one the first ever boxes (referred to by Geek Fuel as Alpha), so I made a little video to show you what I got and share my thoughts on this latest entry in the geek subscription box pool.

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014 | gamerwife.com As I said in the video, while I did like everything in this box, I do worry about how Geek Fuel will distinguish themselves in the future against more established competitors such as Loot Crate or Nerd Block. I do like that Geek Fuel already ships to Canada and the UK, although they all seem to ship from the US, which goes increase the shipping time to those locations.

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014 | gamerwife.com Overall I found the quality of the merchandise in this inaugural Geek Fuel box to be very high and I did find the diversity of the items included very refreshing. It is a little difficult for me to evaluate the service based on a single box, especially since the T-shirt, often the centerpiece of a mystery box, was branded for the subscription service and not something more generally geeky. That said, I do really like the design of the T-shirt (despite not being a woman’s size) and Rick wears it around the house happily.

Geek Fuel Unboxing December 2014 | gamerwife.com I’d be very curious about the contents of future Geek Fuel boxes and agree that they would make an excellent gift.

To order your own, visit geekfuel.com and sign-up!

December 28, 2014 at 2:57 am

Oooh I love those princess bride cards and good score with the vader pez. Agree with you on the shirt, perhaps because it was just their first one? The cookbooks sound fun to look further into as well!

December 29, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I think my favourite thing out of this box was the Princess Bride cards. The art is just too sweet.

December 28, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Oh no… Not another box! I am already subscribed to three and now I think I might need this one too…. >_<

December 29, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Hehehe… What’s your favourite box so far, and why?

December 29, 2014 at 11:21 am

I love the contents in this box! I am just delving into the possibility of subscription boxes and will probably start with vegan cuts and maybe later on nerd block.. although this one looks really interesting, too! i do wonder what future contents would look like. would be a great reference!

December 29, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Yeah, I think I’ll give Geek Fuel another shot in a few months since I’m committed to Arcade Block for another month or two and I’m not made of money. I definitely recommend Vegan Cuts, I really liked their boxes, but wanted to branch out and can really only justify one subscription a month.

December 29, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Those Princess Bride cards are lovely – excellent design! I actually really like the shirt too, despite being it’s own Geek Fuel brand. I may try this box out, just to see what shows up!

Also, I am absolutely looking up the geek cookbook! 😀

December 29, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Yeah, the design of the cards and the t-shirt and the box itself are all stellar. I’d definitely say give it a try, although I think I’m gonna wait a few months to see what happens when they have a few more boxes under their belt.

December 29, 2014 at 7:48 pm

those princess bride cards are super cute!

December 30, 2014 at 12:01 am

They’re definitely my favourite thing in this box.

Joie Fatale
    December 31, 2014 at 2:15 pm

That Cookbook seems fun! But those Princess Bride cards!!! 🙂
    I want to give some other boxes a try but not sure which to even start with!

December 31, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I hear ya. There are just so many interesting mystery boxes to choose from now.