Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #107

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

Ellie by Nan Lawson

Ellie by Nan Lawson Available at Society 6

Another busy week, and there’s no sign of things slowing down before 2015 arrives. Oof. Game and Gab for Good finally kicked off and seems to have been well received, even if we fell (very) short of our financial goal. But, still not bad for a first go. I’m working on organizing all my thoughts on it in a post soon.

Hopefully this weekend will actually involve Christmas shopping and getting ready for the holidays.

Link Time!
Interesting tips on how to use game design strategies in marketing.

Could a game featuring a murderous mechanical teddy bear have the best portrayal of depression?

Love this nostalgic essay about family bonding over video games.

What happens when you force your kid to play through all of video game history in chronological order?

A love letter to joys of just poking around a video game.

Is a new smart mouse that monitors your vitals the key to avoiding gamer rage?

Coding for kids + subscription box model = The Perfect Gift for Aspiring Hackers

Need a hug?

So the term “software engineering” was coined by a woman… software engineer. Why am I just learning about this?!

And finally, 18 Badass Women You Might Not Have Heard of in 2014.

December 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

Great links as always! ^__^

Kendall Ashley
    December 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Awesome list, as always. I love that Bitsbox! Such a cool idea!

December 12, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Yeah, I’ll definitely be looking into it when my nephew is just a *little* bit older.

December 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I really enjoyed the article about family gaming memories. Funnily enough, I have almost the exact opposite experience in terms of a gaming relationship with my dad! Despite working in art and computers for his entire career, he loathed video games, and deemed them ‘a waste of time’. Then my brother and I introduced him to the original Halo and blew his mind haha! He became fascinated with the art and production (plus good story and music) and began to see video games in a whole new light. He still plays, and now does freelance 3D animation! Funny how things can change. 🙂

December 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

That’s so cool that your dad had a change of heart about video games. The only game my dad ever played with us was Lee Travino golf on the NES.

December 24, 2014 at 5:17 am

I think there will be a wave of the new generation returning to retro gaming, okay I could just be basing that off my 11 year old brother but that article seems to show at least two kids heading in that direction 😛 And props for giving women props – the 18 badass women article gave me goosebumps of the good kind 🙂

December 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Kids will always be better at retro games because their reflexes are just that much better, but yeah, with classic gamers now having kids I think we’re gonna see a big resurgence in kids who like retro style games.