Indie Game Date

Indie Game Date: Spelunky

Spelunky | Indie Game Date | Gamerwife.com

Rick’s been playing games since before he could walk. I went from an NES to a PS3 with nothing in between. We love to game together, but finding games we can both enjoy can be tough. Indie Game Date is our quest to find great indie games that both of us will love.

Spelunky | Indie Game Date | Gamerwife.com

In this edition of Indie Game Date, Rick and I try out some co-op Spelunky. As I’ve mentioned before, platformers aren’t really my genre, but Rick loves the game and we’re always looking for games with co-op so we can play together, so we decided to give it a shot. There were definitely places where I surprised myself, but far more places where I embarrassed myself.

Oh well. At least we had fun.

As always, let us know what you think we should play next. We’ll probably ignore you and play whatever we want anyways, but why not weigh in just in case?

Also, just for fun I did a little super cut of all of the death scenes from our play sessions, as well as my “penguin song.”

What are your favourite co-op games?

Cindy
    November 5, 2014 at 11:40 am

Have you guys tried Guacamelee yet? I played that with my sister, who doesn’t play video games at all, and she loved the experience.

November 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm

No, we haven’t tried that one yet! Great suggestion! Thanks.

nerdburger
    November 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Spelunky looks like so much fun. I love platformers and this looks like one I need to play!

November 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

It’s a ton of fun, and the levels are all really short, which is nice. Also, all the levels are randomly generated, which helps it from getting repetitive as you die. Over. And over. And over again.

Jenn
    November 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Haha, that yeti death was hilarious. This looks like a lot of fun!

November 6, 2014 at 5:10 pm

The game is amazing, either solo or co-op. Very fast and fun. And yeah, that yeti death totally caught up off guard. It was horrifying.

November 6, 2014 at 4:03 am

It’s Ricks voice!! lol “oops that was dumb” was my favourite part or maybe “what I need you to do…” he he he he

November 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Yeah, Rick tends to be rather bossy when we play together. But considering I usually have no idea what I’m doing, it’s usually a good thing. :p

Angie
    November 6, 2014 at 9:48 am

Jen and I play so many co-op titles! One that’s in development and is SO much fun, especially if you love zombies, is 7 Days to Die! I *think* it’s PC only. Right now, we’re obsessed with Saints Row IV!

November 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Neat! Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll definitely check it out.

November 6, 2014 at 10:48 am

i watched this with my husband and we both loved seeing and hearing you guys play! after watching he wanted to play little big planet again with me which we haven’t in like forever so probably tonight 🙂 i thought rick carrying the dude damsel was funny but when he started carrying your corpse around i couldn’t help but laugh! and you did great on your own in the end mariko! whoohoo! 🙂

November 6, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Thanks, Jane! And I’m so glad we inspired you and Yangkyu to try some co-op action yourselves.

Kerry
    November 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Both videos were hysterical! (Loved the bee puns).

November 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thanks! This was really fun to play & edit!

Celeste
    November 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

This game looks adorable. Budd and I will have to try this out soon : D

November 17, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I think you should. It’s surprisingly fun to play co-op.