Geek Life

What is the #puttogetherproject?

The Put Together Project

As some of you might know, October was a rough month for me. Not to go into two much detail, but my constant companion, depression, reared its ugly head again and knocked me out for a while. While I have been on SSRIs for a few years now and they do help, I am still prone to sporadic, relatively mild bouts from time to time. They never last long, but coming out of it still took tremendous effort, so the idea of a project to commemorate my reemergence seemed like a good idea.

That’s when I came up with the idea for the #puttogetherproject. Every day for the month of November, I will challenge myself to put together a face and an outfit. They don’t have to be elaborate, or high fashion. They don’t even need to be particularly inspired. They just have to include: bathing, brushing my hair, and something on my body other than pajamas.

Put together.

Working from home it is much too easy for me to sit around for weeks at a time in nothing but my bathrobe. But this type of wallowing has a collective effect and if you’re already not feeling so great, reflecting on a week spent with greasy hair in a stinky robe can be pretty disheartening.

So, for 30 days I’m going to post pictures on my outfits and faces to Instagram & Tumblr with the hashtag #puttogetherproject. The other objective of this campaign is to help raise awareness for mental health issues and at the end of the project I’d like to donate money to a local mental health organization. My pledge will be equal to $1 for everyday day I succeed in my challenge and $5 for every day I do not. It won’t be a huge sum of money, but if others want to join me and raise funds for organizations local to them, I think it could add up to a lot.

Join me, won’t you?

November 2, 2014 at 2:20 am

This is a brilliant idea…and wow, hit sooo close to home. I will literally be in a nightie all day and will the only thing that gets me dressed is getting something together for a blog post….or not wanting to still be in my jams when my husband gets home. The rut is real and it is comfortable and scary.

<3 <3 <3

November 2, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Fight the rut! We can do it!

November 2, 2014 at 3:17 am

Sorry to hear that October wasn’t the smoothest for you, I think this idea is great, it’s super important to be aware of your own mental health and even more important to know how to improve it!

November 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, it’s taken me a long to time accept this part of myself, but the more I do the easier it gets.

November 2, 2014 at 9:23 am

Great idea, I support you!
    I’m glad you were able to get yourself out of it. I can only imagine what it must be like… It’s good to promote awareness. ^__^
    I look forward to seeing your outfits. ^^

November 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Thanks, that mean a lot. πŸ™‚

Ari Carr
    November 2, 2014 at 10:56 am

It sucks that October was a bad month for you πŸ™ I’ve had real bad days before, and I think this is a great idea. Count me in!

Jenn
    November 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm

This is such a great idea, Mariko! October was a bad month for me, too, in the mental health department, and getting injured didn’t help at all. Last night was the first time in over a week that I put something other than yoga pants or PJs on and it was a huge mood booster. I’m definitely joining in on this project on Instagram!

November 2, 2014 at 6:05 pm

What an amazing idea! While I don’t struggle with depression, I do suffer from anxiety, occasionally to the point of interfering in daily life. Promoting awareness is so important – what a great project!

November 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thanks. I also suffer from anxiety (it’s usually what triggers a depression), which so many people I know also do so I wanted to create a space where we could all talk about it together.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron
    November 2, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I’ll match all the $1s you put in and PayPal you my part, put it with your donation to whichever org you select.

November 2, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Oh wow! That’s incredibly generous, Skye. Thank you so much!

Mia Moore (@xoMiaMoore)
    November 2, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I’m going to join in this as well as Nerdvember! (I may not post every day, but I will as much as I can.) It’s seriously an amazing idea, and I’m all for promoting mental health awareness while trying to get over my own personal slumps. I really hope this helps everyone who participates. I’m sorry October was such a rough month for you.

November 3, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thanks! I have to say I’m really in awe of the response so far.

usag1
    November 2, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Sorry that you had a terrible month. I joined Nerdvember because I’ve been having a crappy few months, panic attacks hello, and I just throw on the same pair of pants and a random shirt. I actually want out of this funk. I’ll join with you as well but instead of trying for face, I’m gonna go with hair. I want to force myself to do more then just a pony tail.

November 3, 2014 at 8:44 am

Yikes, panic attacks are the worst. Glad you’re joining the “unfunk” crew. Can’t wait to see your looks!

Jessica
    November 2, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I’m sorry you had such a bad month πŸ™‚ but what a wonderful idea! I’m home all day too and I’m always in PJs! I should probably get dressed up more often… Maybe it’ll make me feel like actually getting some work done lol

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

November 3, 2014 at 8:45 am

Yeah, just putting on pants really does wonders for my productivity. lol

November 3, 2014 at 2:38 pm

this is one of the best things i’ve seen among blogging friends since i started blogging! best wishes to you! looking forward to following you on this 30 day journey!

November 3, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Wow. Thank you so much, Jane. I have to say, I’ve been really humbled by the response so far. I really help this helps get the word out and results in some money for support organizations.

Megan Gotch (@thenerdygirlie)
    November 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

This is such a good idea Mariko. I was inspired by you today and got dressed myself today and even took a walk! It can get hard working from home and sometimes I do wallow a bit, but this helps! Continued success for you!! xx

November 4, 2014 at 11:53 am

Thanks, Megan! Glad I could inspire you out of your wallow. πŸ™‚

Links To The Past |
    November 8, 2014 at 5:03 am

[…] of Gamerwife has started the #puttogetherproject on Instagram this month. It aims to raise awareness for mental health issues by taking pride in […]

Beth at Little World Called Wonderland
    November 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

This is amazing! People do not realize how hard it can be just to wash your face at time…let alone shower!

November 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Thanks, Beth. I’m just glad this is resonating with people. πŸ™‚

Jen
    November 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm

This is a fantastic idea! I’ve been seeing photos on Instagram with this hashtag and I needed to find out what was going on. Love it all!

Kerry
    November 10, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I’m so behind on commenting! Obviously, I’ve been following #theputtogetherproject on Instagram, and I think what you are doing is absolutely amazing. Thank you for not only shining the spotlight on mental illness, but sharing a great coping mechanism at the same time…all while donating money to a worthy cause.

November 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm

No apologies necessary! Thanks so much for following along and your kind words about the project.

SailorJulyxo
    November 12, 2014 at 12:30 am

This is an absolutely wonderful idea! I am so sorry for what you go through. I have bipolar disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder, plus anxiety. October and November were rough for me as well. (We’re still in November, of course, but our little budgie bird passed away and damn. I am having a REALLY hard time.) Jen also has bipolar disorder and anxiety, plus social anxiety. So it’s something we know a lot about and have had since we were children. Sadly, my ‘medicine cocktail’ as the Doctor said, isn’t working that well. >.< Here's to better mental health!

November 12, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I second that motion. That’s a lot of diagnosis to keep track of. Hope that November starts to treat you and Jen a little nicer. Hang in there.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    November 12, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Such a brilliant idea Mariko! I’m really so sorry to hear that it was a bad month for you, I’m crossing fingers for this November to be a good one πŸ™‚ I have a feeling it must be to make up for that crappy October πŸ˜‰ Oh! and I just realized that I was not following on Instagram: now solved! off to keep up with the challenge there πŸ™‚

November 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thank you, Damaris. November has already been soooo much better, I’m already starting to look forward to what next year will bring.

Harper Yi (@HarperYi)
    November 13, 2014 at 6:20 am

Ahh I wanna do this too! Fantastic idea! I’ll be donating to IMAlive.org

November 13, 2014 at 10:43 am

Great organization! I can wait to see your looks.

Chock-Full O’Links (November 14th Edition) | Candyfloss Ramparts
    November 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

[…] go to there). This article about Tig Notaro being awesome. This continuing amazingness that is the #puttogetherproject from […]

Friday I'm In Love #103 - Gamerwife
    February 3, 2016 at 4:38 am

[…] by Adam Works available at Society 6 Wow, busy week and it’s about to get busier. First off, #puttogetherproject has started with a bang! Thank you so much to everyone else participating and supporting me through […]

Friday I'm In Love #104 - Gamerwife
    February 3, 2016 at 4:38 am

[…] Hololabs team at MIGS and putting things in motion for another (!) charity project. Not to mention #puttogetherproject being in full swing! Thanks again to everyone following along or participating themselves. […]

• Penny for your thoughts...