Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #99

The Last of Us Adventure Time Greggory Metzler Press Start 3 Ltd Art Gallery
The Last of Us Adventure Time Greggory Metzler Press Start 3 Ltd Art Gallery

The Last of Us Adventure Time by Greggory Metzler available at Ltd Art Gallery

Hey everybody!

Not much to report on my side this week. Finally got all caught up with blog and got the wheels turning on a project I’ve been dreaming about for a couple of years now. I won’t know anything definitely for a few weeks, but let’s just say I’m in the “getting excited and making things” stage. Also, I made THE most incredible enchilada soup in my slow cooker that even Rick can’t get enough of. He’s already requested it again for next week.

This weekend will likely include brunch, finally setting up a pull list at my favourite comic book store and mornings catching up on Legend of Korra.

Your Kickstarter Pick:
Battle Chef Brigade – What you’d get if Studio Ghibli and Iron Chef had a baby and that baby was a game. Yes, it is that rad.

Link Time!
Interesting look at the difference between Dojin (hobby dev) and indie dev cultures in Japan.

Three amazing animated shorts about the amazingness of girls.

Thought provoking look at meme culture and what happens when your pet becomes a meme.

The case for function over style in game design.

Looking for a weekend project? Why not make yourself a Tom Baker scarf runner?

Beautiful comic about Journey.

Just in time for Halloween, Girl Hero has some great makeup only costume ideas.

Loving these thoughts on emergent narrative in video games and how they can be intentional or not.

I’ve actually been to 2 of these! The 20 Coolest Arcades in the World.

And finally, why “Western” foods in Japan rarely resemble their inspiration.

Kerry
    October 3, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love the articles on “Western” foods in Japan & pet memes…fascinating stuff! And, that comic reminds me that I need to finish playing Journey – that’s definitely my kind of video game.

October 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

It’s so beautiful, and really not that long. Definitely worth it!

Kat
    October 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Thank you for featuring our Doctor Who rug!
    And now you’ve made us want to go on a world arcade-tour (we’ve only been to one on that list so far). 🙂

October 3, 2014 at 3:25 pm

You’re so welcome! It’s a great project. Also, can I ask which arcade you’ve been too? Both of mine were in Japan.

October 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Link game is STRONG this week!! I’ve already hijacked a few to share with some friends on facebook!!

Much Excite {see what I did there} for the unveiling of the big plan!!

margot

October 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Steal away! Glad you like them. And I am SO excited for this project to get started. I really can’t believe how it all seems to be coming together!

Jessica
    October 3, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Oh that chicken enchilada soup looks so good, thank you for sharing it 🙂 Great job on getting all caught up with your blog and good luck on your new project!

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

October 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Thanks! I’m practically vibrating with excitement, can’t wait to share it with you all.

October 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Great links! I always enjoy learning new things. Thanks for sharing!

October 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Those arcades look amazing. I’ve been to one in Tokyo… I need to see more!

October 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, there’s so many on the East coast, I smell a road trip!

October 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

the girl and the fox animated short was amazing. it got me all teary eyed!

Jenn
    October 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Good luck on your new project! I’m excited for you. 😀

The article on Western foods in Japan is a great read, especially since there are so many Americanized versions of Japanese cuisine. It’s interesting to see the tables turned.

October 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm

That’s very true. Most of what we enjoy as “sushi” here in Montreal would likely illicit giggles if served in Japan.

October 7, 2014 at 2:24 am

Awesome links! In a random comment, I actually love Japan’s Bacon, well the stuff you can buy in their supermarkets, it’s like super neat and cute and perfect! I also love their curry, they have definitely run with the concept but in the process made something of their own 🙂

I can also happily say I’ve been to club sega and Joypolis in Japan but would love to go to King of Kong (that doco is one of my favourites!) oh and that Anata no Warehouse in Kawasaki, Japan looks amazing!

October 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I am hopelessly addicted to Japanese curry. I grew up with it and it is still one of my favourite comfort foods. Luckily Rick discovered it in Japan and loves it as much as I do now!

Sophierocious
    October 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

That Journey comic was really beautiful. I had such a great experience playing that game.

I REALLY need to visit a Barcade some day! Those arcades look so cool!

October 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Journey totally has a special place in my heart. And Barcades are where it’s at! I was so happy to learn we have a great one in Montreal called Foonzo, although I don’t go there nearly enough.