Geek Life

Confessions of a Blogger

Confessionsย of a Blogger | Gamerwife.com

Blogger Confessions

As usual I am late to the party, but I like parties so let’s see if we can keep things going just a little bit longer. I’m sure many of you are familiar with The Nerdy Girlie’s Blogger Confessions and like the rest of you I couldn’t help but join in on the sharing.

Although I’ve been blogging for what seems like dog years now, I am still gripped by the same insecurities and obsessions as I was when I started. Maybe more so, it’s hard to say. Blogging’s changed so much since I started, and it’s gone from a hobby to one of my main focuses. And while I have more than a few things to make my life easier, there are still things I struggle with.

1. My Blog Is My Life
Unlike what seems like a majority of bloggers, I don’t mind promoting myself or my blog. I actually really like it. I like refining my brand and whipping out business cards as soon as someone asks the name of my blog. Although I’m nowhere near where I want to be in terms of subscribers or reach, I’ve already gotten so many incredible opportunities thanks to my work with Gamerwife and I can’t wait to see where things take me in the future.

2. I have totally done things just so I can blog about them afterwards.
Yes, I am the person who looks at an invitation and actually says “that sounds cool, but even better my readers will love it!” Luckily all of the times I have done this I have ended up having a fabulous time. I guess sometimes I need that extra push of sharing something with the rest of you to get me out of the house.

3. I sometimes resent how much time I spend reading other people’s blogs.
I love you. All of you bloggers and readers and folks who support me and the blogging community at large. But sometimes, just sometimes, it feels really overwhelming to look at my blog reader on a Monday morning and see 100+ unread posts. It took me a long time to gain the confidence to follow and comment on other people’s blogs, and I’ve met a whole host of amazing people precisely that way. But man, sometimes it really does seem like more work than I feel like it should.

4. I am horrible at prioritizing.
Give me a list of 5 things and I will without fail, leave the most important task to the end. It is a sickness and it often means that I have to stay up to do the stuff I should have been doing in the first place. Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this, I’m all ears.

5. I learned to code just to make my blog prettier.
Sure, I ended up learning that I loved it, but if I wasn’t so obsessed with my blog I might not have even tried it.

You can find the rest of the posts in this link-up in the Female Geek Bloggers Google+ group, and read Megan’s original post.

Megan Gotch (@thenerdygirlie)
    September 27, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I am defiantly trying to become more confident in promoting my blog IRL! I just bought new business cards…so hopefully that helps! #2…totally yes! I have also learned a small bit of code and that is coming in handy!

September 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Maybe we should have a section in the FGB community for showing off business cards, to inspire others?

Desiree
    September 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Great list, and I love that you love promoting your blog. It’s something I’m working on, and feel it’s getting a bit easier the more I make it a habit.

September 28, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I’ve painted myself into a corner by tying my identity so strongly to the blog, but it is definitely something that gets easier with time.

September 28, 2014 at 3:55 am

ah I love that you promote your blog! I’m definitely shy to in real life ๐Ÿ˜› I read way too many blogs and I’m also a bit ocd so I have to read every entry. I think the largest I ever had was 2000 blog entries to catch up on, actually it could of been more but it only showed that amount *yikes* luckily a lot of my blog “reading” are just visually based but yeah it’s an overwhelming addiction sometimes!

September 28, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Yeah, sometimes I’ll just skim headlines or images and cross them off, but I always feel so guilty when I do.

Jessica
    September 28, 2014 at 8:05 am

I also don’t have a problem promoting my blog at all! I want to make some business cards so I can throw them at peoples faces! Ha, just kidding. I also get stressed out whenever I check my bloglovin feed and see 100+ posts… it is so overwhelming. i was literally spending all day reading thru everyone’s posts… I stopped doing that because I wasn’t getting anything else done. My bloglovin feed currently reads 264… sigh… I haven’t had it down to zero in so long… hoping to get thru them… but as soon as I get to a low number i refresh the page and another 50 posts have been added >_<

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

September 28, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, I’ve started just calling a “bloglovin amnesty” and hitting ‘mark all as read’ if things get too daunting. I hate doing it, but sometimes I just don’t really have a choice. I usually find another way to catch up with my favourite blogs.

HBT (@HADSTERIFIC)
        October 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Great list Mariko! I really relate to this.

#4 is so me until I tried to list things by priority and it really reduces stress! We can do it!

Also, I agree with all the pressure about reading other people’s blogs. I really try to look at things and def read them if I’m interested. Now I’m chilling about doing this immediately and taking my time.

October 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Thank you! Even when I list things by priority, I always find a way to put them off. Oh well, guess I just need to get better about swallowing my frogs…

And don’t get me wrong, I love reading and commenting on other people’s blogs. But I definitely need to learn to be more chill about it.

September 28, 2014 at 9:59 am

I feel like I have finally become comfortable with my blog, so I’m excited to start promoting it a little more!

September 28, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Yay! For what it’s worth your blog is definitely one of my daily reads. I love seeing what you and your family are up to. ๐Ÿ™‚

September 28, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Thank you so much! Confidence in blogging was/is one of the big things I still struggle with, so I truly appreciate that! ๐Ÿ˜€

B
    September 28, 2014 at 11:28 am

I’m with you on how overwhelming it can feel to see 100+ posts to read. Sometimes though I just look at the headline/title and skip a post if it feels like something I wouldn’t’ want to read. OOPS. lol

September 28, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, I do that too. And if I really get swamped, I’ll just hit “mark all as read,” but I always feel so guilty.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    September 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Hahahhaa, so guilty of many things here: I totally think when reading of an event: oh! this would be nice to blog and then I decide to go (not the other way round) – well, almost all the time, I think it’s sometimes as fun to share and see what everyone thinks about, as it is to go. And definitely overwhelming sometimes to have a long read list, specially after some needed break from the online world.

September 28, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, I always feel so relaxed after a social media break… only to gasp in horror at the pile of posts and messages waiting for me when I return. Oh well.

September 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Ah, number 2 yes… I’ve done things just cause I thought it would be cool to blog about it later…. It also took me some time to get the courage to comment. I still feel a bit weird sometimes when I make a post, since I’m afraid it will suck. I’ve also been wanting to make videos for a while now but I often wonder who would want to see them… One day, eh? ^__^

September 28, 2014 at 5:56 pm

There’s always time, you just need to grab the opportunity and do it!

Mia Moore (@xoMiaMoore)
    September 28, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I have a harrrrd time keeping up with other blogs, especially when I barely have time to work on my own. I’ve been trying to get into a daily habit of checking Bloglovin’, but you’re right – it’s so daunting sometimes! That’s why I usually follow people on Twitter or whatever, it’s a lot less intimidating to see one new post than 100+.

I wish I had tips for doing the highest priority item first – I’m also really bad about that!

September 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm

It’s nice to know I’m in such good company. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kerry
    September 28, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Great confessions – I definitely need/want to learn more coding! I can understand getting bogged down with a ton of blog posts to read – they pile up quick.

My biggest confession is that I really don’t like Twitter. I know that’s horrible – I’m happy to read everyone’s tweets, but seldom tweet myself, I just have such a block there. The funny thing is I write tweets for clients all the time.

September 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm

It took me a long time before I figured out Twitter, now I love it. I schedule tweets, tweet random things from my life, use it to share general pics… all sorts of things.

September 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm

yes! reading blogs takes up a chunk of my time! ๐Ÿ™‚ and i love that you learned code. i had to manage my previous org’s website and so i had to wing a lot of coding (copy and paste) but ever since your friday link featuring the tampon run game i’ve convinced yangkyu to teach me properly so we can maybe make a game together ๐Ÿ™‚

September 29, 2014 at 3:44 pm

That so cool that you want to make a game together. I just went to a workshop on how to use Construct 2 to make a dating sim game. Sadly I didn’t get very far, but if seems like something I could pick up again.

September 29, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I’m wanting to learn how to code to make my blog prettier too, but you know that thing about prioritizing?? yeah, I still haven’t gotten around to switching to self hosting. And as we have discussed, I devote a LOT of time to just keeping up with reading blogs, I hate having to “mark as read” but if I didn’t on some, I’d be reading blogs for 6 hours a day!

margot

September 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, our conversation on this definitely influenced this post. But you should totally switch to self-hosted! It’s so easy to make the switch! You just press a button and bingo!

Ari Carr
    September 29, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I am so bad for doing things and then thinking, “this’d be totally cool to write about!” I’ve done it with quite a few gaming related things and especially cons. I love promoting my blog. I’ve put a lot of work into it so I don’t see why I shouldn’t!

September 29, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Yay for blog pride! And yeah, doing something and then choosing to write about it is a rather different animal than choosing to do the thing SPECIFICALLY to write about it. Which I thought was weird. But I still do it all the time.

usag1
    September 30, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I’m so with you on reading blog posts. When I had SDCC and then PAX, my feex was in the 300. I ignored it until now. I really want to get some business cards, just don’t have a design/logo.

September 30, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I like Moo cards because you can choose from their premade designs, upload your own or even use photos.

Erini
    October 4, 2014 at 11:27 am

While I haven’t done it as much anymore, it’s always fun to go and find an adventure that you cannot wait to share on your blog. One of my friends’ blogs that I’m loving more and more every day is because she’s sharing so many great journeys hiking and camping and just exploring the city she just moved too. It inspires me to want to do more of that too. (Not that I always do, but still.)

October 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, I tend to need a lot of prodding to get out of my apartment, so luckily the lure of blog worthy adventures usually works.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron
    October 4, 2014 at 6:07 pm

It’s so tough to balance reading other people’s content and making your own content! I am always finding lovely new blogs to read, but I hear you, sometimes it’s like “Be quiet everyone! I can’t get anything done!”

October 4, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Hahaha. Yeah, totally.

Sarah
    October 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I also spend soooo long reading other peoples’ blogs! I want to get through them all but I’m like “aaah, I need to write for my OWN!” Thanks for sharing!