Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #96

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

Your Brain on Video Games by Terry Fan

Your Brain on Video Games by Terry Fan available at Society 6

Oh my gosh you guys. I know I’ve been back for close to a week now, but man do I feel like I’ll be playing catch up forever. Part of this, though, is because two projects I am helping out with both kicked off as soon as I got back. While I am very happy to be working on such great projects, it has meant that I haven’t been able to post here as much as I’d like.

If you are interested in checking out what I’ve been up to instead of writing my PAX Prime posts, my good friend Osama’s game Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler’s Perplexing Ploy has just launched their Kickstarter campaign. Long time readers of Gamerwife may recognize the game as that puzzle game Rick and I played at an IGDA demo night almost two years ago. Please give it a look if you like comics, puzzle games like Tetris and/or fighting games.

Next up, I’ve jumped right into my role as Community Manager/Press Liason for Children of Zodiarcs, a tactical JRPG with board game elements currently in the early stages of development. We’ve got the project up on Square Enix Collective, again, if you wanted to take a look and show some love.

And finally, since I’d been making such a big deal about my cosplay debut leading up to PAX, I thought I’d give you a little sneak peak:

Delsin & Galahad

And finally, I have been absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the response to the #Geeky Confessions post & link-up. There’s no time limit on this one, so if you’re a blogger and you have some geeky confessions you need to get off your chest, GO FOR IT!!

Your Kickstarter: Band Saga – Roguelike action game where music generates the gameplay with a delicious pixel art style. Also, it kinda reminds me a lot of Scott Pilgrim (book, film & game).

Link Time!
Courtney over at Pixelkin (hey girl!) brings up some great points about why baby saving games are kind of awful for children.

Wonderful thoughts on identity and avatars from the always amazing, Leigh Alexander.

These stunning pixel art dioramas by Octavi Navarro leave me breathless. Something I’ve never said about pixel art before.

Your weekend project! Build a cat tipi!

Are Steam (and other) sales hurting game dev profits?

Speaking of Steam, check out Part I of Gaming MTL’s round up of Montreal made indie games available on everyone’s favourite digital games store.

For those of you with shorter attention spans, why not give this hilarious browser game made by two high school girls a try. Bonus, it’s about menstruation.

Does the background noise in your house influence your online shopping habits? Research points to yes.

Speaking of sound, Redbull (of all sources) is featuring an incredibly thorough history of Japanese video game music.

And finally, Dames Who Make Games interviewee Elize M. posted this lovely interview with Meg Jayanth, writer of iOS exclusive 80 Days.

Kerry
    September 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Awesome links, as usual! Love the tampon game. And, we better get pics of the finished cat tipi for Caturday 🙂

September 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hehe. I’ve already got this week’s Caturday star, but I might try to whip something up for next week. 😉

Jessica
    September 12, 2014 at 2:27 pm

You sure sound busy! 😀 your Cosplay sneak peak looks great, can’t wait to see more pics! 🙂

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

September 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm

They are coming, I promise!

September 12, 2014 at 2:32 pm

That is some seriously amazing pixel art. I also loved the avatars article (and on a related note, I would seriously spend hours designing my Destiny character). War of the Zodiarcs looks like a game both the hubs and I would love. Is it a fully funded project, or will there be any crowd funding for it?

September 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm

There will be crowdfunding for War of Zodiarcs, if our Collective campaign is successful, which is looking pretty likely at the moment.

And yeah, Rick will spend HOURS agonizing over character creation when he has the option, often starting and restaring games if he isn’t satisfied. I, find this hilarious, especially considering how haphazardly he approaches his own appearing most days.

September 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Haha, I did that with Mass Effect! My first FemShep I made I ended up really disliking her look in game, so I scrapped the whole thing and started over. 😀

September 12, 2014 at 4:09 pm

That pixel art is so amazing, I’m just staring at each one! So good!!

margot

September 12, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I know, right? I was just blown away by the emotion and detail infused into each pixel.

September 14, 2014 at 1:56 am

cat tipi so cute and how rad is all the pixel art by O. Navarro. I tried to learn about pixel art once and it did my head in how complex it was *hats off to all the skilled pixel artists out there*

Oh and your costume turned out super stella!! When life is busy, blogging is definitely hard to keep up!

September 14, 2014 at 9:27 am

Yeah, I love pixel art, but the attention to detail necessary is WAY being my skill level. But to be fair, my skill level is stick figures.

September 14, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Yes, finally got a glimpse of that cosplay!!! ^__^

September 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Sadly I didn’t get nearly as many pics as I would have liked, but I’m hoping to schedule a semi-pro shoot soon.

September 15, 2014 at 9:30 am

Such great news for you! And love the sneak peek cosplay. And oh my goodness – that game Tampon Run! I so played it and totally shared on Facebook. I heard so many great things about Girls Who Code. I just told my husband that we should spend two days a week to code together so hopefully we’ll hold each other accountable! 🙂 I so want to learn! The only other time I “created” a game was in like elementary school on an ooollld computer that we used to play Oregon Trail on and we all created a choose your own path/ending type of game. 🙂

September 15, 2014 at 3:13 pm

That sounds a lot like Twine, which I’ve totally been putting off learning. And I love the idea of keeping each other accountable. Rick and I are trying to do that with running, with mixed results.