Geek Life Video Games

30 Day Habit RPG Challenge Wrap Up + Blog News

Habit RPG Before and After Okay, so it hasn’t exactly been 30 days, but I think I’ve gathered enough data over the last month to properly weigh in on my 30 Day Habit RPG Challenge. And while I did manage to die twice (mostly due to being extremely sick for over a week), and I lost my sweet horned helm (seriously guys, it was sweet), I’d have to say that I’m very happy with the results.

The fact that you can die and lose loot if you don’t keep up with your tasks in Habit RPG is actually a great motivator and you better believe I hustled in the last week of my challenge to at least get back my chain mail armour so that it would appear in my “after” photo.

I also really like how tasks change colour depending on how long they’ve been on your list. This not only gives a great feeling when a good habit turns green or blue to show your consistency, but it also encourages you to get those nasty red ones taken care of. Habit RPG also adjusts the reward you get for a task based on the colour, so it really feels good when you finally take care of a red task that’s just been staring at you for a month.

You can also edit the difficulty of a task when you create it so that more difficult tasks give slightly better rewards. This was particularly important for less enticing tasks, like cleaning the litter box. I didn’t bother adding any real life rewards since I was really committed to getting better equipment, but for those of you less into the online RPG thing, maybe you’d rather spend your virtual gold on real cake. It’s up to you. My next two purchases are going to be a new sweet helm and a proper steel buckler.

Habit RPG Pets

You’ll also notice that I managed to get myself an animal companion. Pets are unlocked by matching hatching potions with eggs, both of which are dropped randomly when you complete certain tasks. Different combinations of potions and eggs result in different types of pets. For example, my companion above was the result of using a white potion on a wolf egg. Currently I have 9 of the 90 available pets, but what I’m really waiting for is a proper mount. Not sure how many tasks I’ll need to complete before I get one, but I’m more than willing to keep it up until I do.

While I didn’t really use any of the social functions of Habit RPG, keeping track of everything I did during the day really made me think about how I organize my time and I ended up having some revelations about my business and the blog. I know I’m not using all of my time effectively, so I’ve decided to make some changes to make sure my efforts yield commensurate results.

First off, staring in June I’m going to cut back my posting schedule here from 6 to 4 days a week to give me more time for my consulting business and my hopelessly neglected business blog. I’ve also decided to eliminate the Take My Money Tuesdays feature. I’ve really enjoyed this feature and I’ve met lots of amazing indie developers as a result, but finding 4 – 5 really impressive games to write about each month can be tough and time consuming. I’d still like to feature video game crowdfunding campaigns, but from now on they’ll be part of my Friday I’m In Love posts, instead of a feature unto themselves. The idea here really is to focus on quality over quantity and create more time to focus on non blog related things.

I’ve also decided to close the Gamerwife Facebook Page, due mostly to the changes to Facebook’s algorithms that now force bloggers and small business owners to pay to “boost” their posts so everyone following their Page on Facebook gets their updates. There are still a million ways to follow me and the blog, but I’d really prefer that people subscribe, either by email or by using a reader like Bloglovin to be sure they get notified of every last post.

All in all, I’m definitely going to continue using Habit RPG. It’s great for to do lists, staying on top of daily chores and for reinforcing healthy habits. I might even show you when I get a new, sweet horned helm.

Disclaimer: I was neither contacted by, nor received compensation from Habit RPG for this post. I am just genuinely curious about the benefits of such a program and want to provide my own, honest opinion.

Mia Moore (@xoMiaMoore)
    May 29, 2014 at 10:28 am

I’ve been wanting to try this out – so glad you posted about your experiences! I also am excited to see the changes you’re making to the blog, I think they’ll be really good for your goals and make the blog stronger. (A blog is always stronger if it’s focused, in my experience!)

Best of luck in your endeavours! 🙂 And if I do Habit RPG we should be friends!

May 29, 2014 at 10:30 am

Yes! Absolutely. We can go on quests together 😉

Mia Moore (@xoMiaMoore)
        May 29, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Ok, I signed up! I have no idea how to make you my friend but let’s do this! Joie too!! 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Okay. I just created a group called “Female Geek Bloggers” (Group ID: 2ef98262-5628-4620-9155-660d998248b5), but I should also be able to invite you to the group with your user ID.

• Mia Moore (@xoMiaMoore)
            May 29, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Here’s my code – 4d6b1ba4-1007-4801-95cc-b59b4b5e7e55
            🙂

• Mariko
            May 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Invitation sent!

Joie Fatale
    May 29, 2014 at 10:38 am

I do hate Facebook’s algorithms and our reliance on it add THE go to social media always grinds my gears.
    I need to use my Habit RPG. ..even though I think I died lol.

May 29, 2014 at 11:38 am

I have Habit RPG on my phone (Android), tablet (iOS) and I pin a tab with it in my browser on my laptop so I can easily check in throughout the day. If you do get back into it let me know. We can form a party and I’ll make you the official fitness master! I could use some butt-kicking in that area.

readerlygeek
    May 29, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I tried Habit RPG for a couple weeks and, while I thought it was fun and cool, I could never remember to update everyday so I kept losing health even though I was completing my tasks. I sort of gave up on it after while because of that. Paper to-do lists that set on my desk are just easier for me to update and keep track of.

May 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I also love my paper do-to lists, and I probably would find it harder to keep up with Habit RPG if I didn’t have it perpetually open in a pinned tab.

usag1
    June 8, 2014 at 2:10 am

This sounds really cool and maybe it could help me get my butt into gear! Sorry that you are closing your FB page. I hate FB in general but I keep it open for family just so they can see I am alive!

I think I will join habit RPG!

June 9, 2014 at 10:02 am

Please do joing Habit RPG! We need more party members.

I still have my personal FB page, kept mostly for the same reasons as you, but the whole Pages thing just really ticks me off.

Kitsch Cait
    June 9, 2014 at 9:51 am

I just got to level 7! My ID is 81fbdbc1-68cd-4970-b2e4-d852a6c64ac6. We should be frandz. 😀

June 9, 2014 at 10:03 am

Just sent you an invite! 🙂

abby
    June 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Okay I am reading up on this and it looks so fun. I am not sure how well I will stick to actually updating with any sort of consistency, but I at least want to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

June 16, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I have it on three devices and open on a tab at all times. Otherwise there is no way I would remember to check in.

lariatsandlavender
    June 17, 2014 at 8:20 pm

HABITRPG!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THAT. IT’S SOMETHING I WANT TO TRY!!! I am a huge lover of rewards, and tracking my activities too!

June 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

Do it! And join our party if you do. It is super fun and has really helped me stay on top of things.

June Activities | xo Mia
    March 25, 2015 at 12:29 am

[…] up for HabitRPG. Gamerwife did an awesome write-up on her experience that convinced me to give it a try, and I really love it! I guess I’m more motivated by […]

Sponsor Spotlight: May 2014 | xo Mia
    March 25, 2015 at 12:29 am

[…] which highlight awesome but sometimes overlooked players in the game industry. Mariko’s post on HabitRPG got me to start playing myself (so far, i love […]

• Penny for your thoughts...