Geek Life

My Cosplay Bucket List

I was inspired to do this post by the awesome Jasmine at Girl Gone Geek and her cosplay bucket list.

Ever since I decided that this was the year I would finally pop my cosplay cherry I’ve been overwhelmed with ideas for what that inaugural cosplay will be. And now that I’ve more or less decided what my first cosplay will be, I figured it would be fun to show you what some of my ideas were, and finally reveal what my very first cosplay will be.

But first, the short list.

Marceline, The Vampire Queen – Adventure Time

As much as I love everything about Adventure Time, something about Marceline just resonates with me. Yes, I was a bit of a goth wanna be as a teen, and I’ve often dreamed of playing the bass. Plus, her outfit is relatively easy to cosplay. I already have red boots and skinny jeans. All that’s missing is an extra-long wig, a grey tank top and of course, that amazing bass of hers. Honestly, if I can get this one together in time I might end up having two cosplays to debut.

Alyx Vance – Half Life

This one was actually suggested by Rick, and is very tempting given that it fits with some of my personal cosplay requirements: minimal sewing, comfortable to wear and relatively inexpensive to realize. However, as much I’ll admit I do resemble Alyx, I do feel a little strange about playing a character from a game I’ve never actually played. Maybe I’ll wait until I can find Rick some Gordon Freeman armour and we can cosplay together.

Sheriff Jody Mills – Supernatural

Ever since Rick and I caught Supernatural fever we’d joked about trying to do some Supernatural cosplay. Namely, Rick would like to do Cas and then I could do a gender-bent Dean cosplay. But, since Season 9, Episode 19, I’ve been obsessed with cosplaying as Sheriff Jody Mills. She’s mature, tough, but still haunted by the loss of her family and easily the best female character on the show (sorry, Charlie). Plus, being a Sheriff is pretty damn cool.

Wonder Woman – Classic 40’s Pin Up Style

Ever since I was 4 years old watching the Lynda Carter show with my parents, I’ve dreamed of dressing as Wonder Woman. And oddly enough, it has yet to happen. I even bought red boots a few years ago with the intention of making a Halloween costume, but that never came together. My dream now is to put together a pin up style interpretation of everyone’s favourite Amazon princess. But really it’s also just an excuse to learn how to do victory rolls.

And the Winner is…

Snow White – Wolf Among Us

As a kid growing up with pale skin and dark hair, Snow White has long been a special character to me. The version of Snow White from Telltale Games’ Wold Among Us is strong, smart and she has more than a little crush on Bigby, just like me. I haven’t yet read the comics the game is based on (although Rick has been gobbling them up like candy), but there’s something about her video game incarnation that I really like. Her outfit can be assembled off with the shelf clothes, and would give me a good excuse try some rad makeup to mimic the cell shaded look of the game. I’m hoping to have everything together to cosplay at PAX Prime this fall, by which point the last episode of the game should be released.

What’s on your cosplay bucket list? Let us know in the comments:

Ari Carr
    May 21, 2014 at 9:09 am

You would look so cute as Marcy! I may have to do a post like this too, I have a bunch of cosplays I want to do in the (hopefully near) future!

cupcakerator
    May 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I love all of these! I’m still too nervous to bite the bullet and actually do any cosplay. But I plan it every time there’s a convention in town.

May 21, 2014 at 3:14 pm

My first one is Urusla and I’m actually working on it already! I also really want to do skyrim nightingale armor as well as a mash up mandalorian. I did joker for Halloween but would like to take it to a con as well and maybe iron out the kinks from what I didn’t like for Halloween. I’ve always wanted to do Xena, Death and Harley Quinn as well! And I just know I’m forgetting some of the others I’ve talked about.

May 26, 2014 at 11:37 am

Nightingale Armor FTW! Oh my goodness! And Death. And Xena. Girl, you would totally rock them all.

Keezy Young
    May 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Looking very much forward to seeing some of these! I have a dress and a pile of long pink wig and a giant Lady Rainicorn plushie that will someday become Princess Bubblegum.

May 26, 2014 at 11:13 am

Ah! You would be an excellent Princess Bubblegum! Can’t wait to see it all together.

May 22, 2014 at 4:08 am

oh now I’m excited to see photos of the final outcome 🙂 Maybe in the future these runners up can have their time to shine too!

May 26, 2014 at 11:36 am

That’s what I’m hoping. And I just added another to the list: Delsin from Infamous: Second Son.

nerdburger
    May 22, 2014 at 7:18 am

So many rad choices. I can’t wait to see you as Snow white and 50’s wonder woman.

May 26, 2014 at 11:36 am

Tee hee. Thanks!

Jessica
    May 22, 2014 at 8:52 am

I have always wanted to dress up as a character, but never have. I hope I will soon, I’ve always wanted to cosplay as Yuna from Final Fantasy X even though I’m a bit tanner than her but she is my favorite character so I can’t help it. lol I think you will look great as Wonder Woman and Snow White (and the others as well, of course) Can’t wait to see the final products 🙂

May 26, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks! You should totally do Yuna! I saw some great Yunas at PAX this year. Seriously impressive stuff.

May 22, 2014 at 9:20 am

i can’t wait to see photos your cosplay!

May 26, 2014 at 11:35 am

I hope I can get everything together in time, but I’ll try to post “in progress” shots as things come together as I work on it.

Joie Fatale
    May 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Dude! Major love for sheriff Mills!
    And I can’t wait to see these. I was wondering if I should do a bucket list post too. I think its time!

May 26, 2014 at 11:33 am

YAY!! I’m so glad there’s one other person out there so sees what a BAMF Jody Mills is. That lady does not get enough love from the fandom.

Eleishia
    May 24, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Ahhhh, such a wonderful list! I will have to do this as well. Snow White, such an excellent choice. She is a badass character in that game and I love the Princess too!

sophierocious
    May 25, 2014 at 1:48 am

You will be a great Snow! I love her in the game. Can’t wait to see the final result!

May 26, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ve already got the shirt, jacket and shoes. Now to find the right skirt…

May 26, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thanks!

acatris
    May 27, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Very cool choice to go as Snow White. I’ve seen a few people try that graphic make up with Borderlands characters and it is always really striking 🙂 Can’t wait to see pics of your cosplay when you do it 🙂

• Penny for your thoughts...