Friday I'm In Love

Friday I’m In Love #77

Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Making purchases from these links may result in a commission for this site so that I can buy cat litter. You can learn more about my disclosure policy here.

Mario Kart Vintage by Danvinci

Mario Kart Vintage by Danvinci available at Society 6

Yay for a big busy week of getting back on track. Sadly, a lot of that was actually spent trying to replace all the ID I lost in my wallet while attending PAX East, but at least that’s out of the way, right? Weekend plans include a family brunch and

Are you addicted to Orphan Black like us? Check out this awesome interview with the REAL Cosima. So inspiring.

Is it time to reevaluate the Bechdel Test? via @ArcadiaMachine

Pixelkin has a good breakdown of sexist video game outfits and how to talk about them.

And speaking of sexist outfits, Bee & Puppycat’s Natasha Allegri tweeted some great sketches of the rest of the Super Smash Bros. cast in high heels in response to the recent Samus controversy.

Feel like getting freaky? Check out these vintage PlayStation 2 ads by David Lynch. via @mrghostyx

And keep the trip going with awesome ambient house played on LEGO.

Five of the most anticipated Female-led games of 2014.

The New Yorker discovers roguelikes, featuring Hoplite, Out There & Montreal studio Kitfox’s Shattered Planet.

I opted to take this route when I inevitably garnered a hate comment on my blog last fall, and I totally stand by it.

And finally, how do you stack up in The Ultimate Vintage Video Games Culture Test? I scored a pathetic 44, and too much of that was guessing.

Ari Carr
    April 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

Great links as ever!

Rick
    April 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

67/86…. disappointed in myself

April 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

the piece on the mako mori test was a great great read.

cuddlycactus
    April 25, 2014 at 3:00 pm

The Mako Mori test was a really great article. I’ve always both loved and hated the Bechdel Test. On the one hand, it’s good to have a kind of objective litmus that aren’t up for argument. Whether or not there is more than one woman in a movie isn’t up for debate. The people who try to close off discuss and criticism can’t deny a fact.

But at the same time, it’s just not enough. Just having women talk to each other about not-men is not good enough. It makes it easy for people to say, “See? We did what you wanted!” and ignore POC, ignore any meaningful character development for the woman/women in question. It’s just not enough. And the fact that we can’t even expect most movies to hit THAT marker is sad and grim.

Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

April 25, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Replacing IDs sucks. Hopefully you’ll get them all back soon. ^^

April 28, 2014 at 6:01 am

That child of light artwork looks amazing!

April 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

It’s pretty cool. I got to play test it last fall, but I’m curious about how the co-op mode works.

Joie Fatale
    April 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I was going to ask you about Child of Light! Will you be doing a review anytime soon? Also A Hat in Time looks great!
    And the Female Video Game Armor!!! LOVE it! Great links, as always!