Geek Life

35 Random Facts For My Birthday

35 Random FactsSome of you might have noticed that I removed my 35 Before 35 list from the sidebar. Others will have noticed that I only managed to complete 20% of tasks on my list, and all but one of those revolved around trips I had planned before I made up the list.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I am fail.

This could be down to any number of things. Being overly ambitious, poorly organized, unmotivated… Take your pick.

But what I realized over the past year was that instead of having an arbitrary list of things to do to mark my birthday, I think just reflecting on who I am now is a better way to go. It’s time to celebrate who I am now, not who I think I’m supposed to be.

And so, instead of 35 really ambitious things I’d like to do this year, here are:

35 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me

1. Mariko is actually my middle name.
2. I have 8 tattoos. A nautical star, a maple leaf, the Japanese letter for love, a chickadee, two hanafuda cards, the chemical structure of serotonin, the letter thorn, and the house I lived in after college with my best friends.
3. Rick is actually my second husband.
4. And his name isn’t really Rick.
5. I love classic horror films, especially The Bride of Frankenstein.
6. I also really like watching MMA.
7. My first cat was named Mitts and he was a jerk.
8. I have a weird birthmark on my neck that makes me look a bit like a Trill.
9. I speak English and French fluently, but not Japanese.
10. I have toe-thumbs, like Megan Fox.
11. Also, the knuckles in my ring fingers are lower than they should be.
12. I have one sister and one brother, both younger.
13. On the anniversary of Kurt Cobain’s death, I pierced my own ear cartilage.
14. It got infected a few weeks later and now I have a weird black dot on my ear.
15. I have a degree in English Literature, but I chose to focus on pre-18th century literature.
16. I am allergic to a dizzying number of foods, including chocolate, dairy products, oats, nuts, barley, quinoa, rye, citrus fruit, and eggs. Luckily, not fatally.
17. I got to open Hugh Jackman’s video rental account when I worked at an indie video store in Vancouver.
18. I figure skated 3 – 4 times a week between the ages of 13 & 18.
19. Although I like horror movies, I really hate being scared.
20. My favourite band of all time is still Joy Division.
21. I once did a burlesque act under the name “Sweet Lulu.”
22. Rick proposed to me over lobster roll sandwiches at a picnic in the park near our apartment.
23. I played the baritone in band for 3 years. I was never any good, but I kind of enjoyed it.
24. My mom is Japanese-Canadian (born in Vancouver) and my dad is Caucasian.
25. If pressed, I identify as hapa.
26. I had to sleep with a nightlight until I was 15.
27. My laugh is so distinct that total strangers can recognize it one week later.
28. I probably watched Star Wars over 100 times before I turned 4.
29. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a filmmaker.
30. I used to run underground film screenings when I lived in Vancouver.
31. Our first dance at my wedding to Rick was to a Japanese punk song.
32. I LOVE KARAOKE.
33. I made my own (vegan) wedding cake. I was the only way I could be sure I could eat it and that it would taste good.
34. I am a trivia queen.
35. My favourite book is The Hitchhiker’s Guide To the Galaxy.

Joie Fatale
    February 20, 2014 at 11:39 am

I LOVED Fish Story! And its the COOLEST that you danced your first dance to a punk song!!! Speaking if punk bands from Japan, do you like Last Target; Cobra; the Blue Hearts; and/or Samurai Attack?

I’m glad your allergies are not fatal, but its cool that you made your own cake!

Like you I prefer classic horror movies (The Wolf man!!!) But I have a hard time being.

I wish I could speak another language fluently; but i have taken–and remember–some Japanese!

February 20, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Whoa, I didn’t know anyone else knew about that movie. That is so cool that you’ve seen it. And no, I am super out of the loop on Japanese punk bands, other than Shonen Knife. :p

You probably know more Japanese than I do, I only really learned French because my parents put me in French immersion school when I was 3 and I didn’t really have a choice but to pick it up.

Joie Fatale
        February 21, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I love Shone Knife!
        If you have time check out Thug Murder! Female punk trio!

February 21, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Oooh, will do! I swear we were like sisters in another life or something.

• Joie Fatale
            March 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I was just thinking maybe we were seperated at birth LOL

• Mariko
            March 3, 2014 at 12:09 am

Hehe

Joie Fatale
    February 20, 2014 at 11:41 am

PS is TODAY your birthday? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

February 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

i love reading this! #17 – very cool! so is 31 🙂 me and yangkyu, we love the song chiisana koi no uta by mongol800. it’s our favorite and always reminds of the time when we dated. there is a group of these young people who came together to form goosehouse, and they did a remake of that song and it’s SO good.

February 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Yeah, #17 is kind of a funny story because he came in wearing work out gear pushing a baby stroller and I didn’t recognize him right away. Like, he looked familiar, then I had the thought, “he is waaaaay too good looking for me to know in real life, he must be an actor.” I had to ask for ID to open the account, so the Australian driver’s license sealed the deal. Also, he’s actually very tall.

I’m afraid my knowledge of Japanese music is limited to Guitar Wolf, Shonen Knife, and the few Enka ballads that get played during Bon Odori. But I checked out the song and I especially love that cover. Her voice is amazing!

cuddlycactus
    February 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I loooove reading these kinds of things! So cool, having a punk song be your first dance! LOVE it!

I’m also really impressed that you used to do burlesque! I would love to do it, but I totally don;t have the confidence in my looks.

Also also impressed about the cake. I guess it’s the only way to know FOR SURE that it’s vegan and allergy friendly. I’m planning to do the same thing whenever my wedding rolls around!

Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

February 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Yeah, were actually going to use “Mario Kart Love Song” because it fit thematically, but it seemed over done and neither of us were really in love with it. Then, the night before the wedding, while we were in bed very much NOT sleeping, Rick proposed Fish Story and it just seemed so wrong it was right.

I only did burlesque once. It was sort of a “post-divorce” reaction, but I’m glad I did it and I’ll be damned if I didn’t rock the hell out of that stage!

Yeah, for anyone planning on making their own cake, I’d say the most important thing is planning ahead. We actually had a cupcake bar, so people could decorate their own mini cakes in 3 different flavours, meaning I didn’t have to worry about the decorating part. And the cake itself was very small, just a cutting cake. But my fondant cracked, which made me sad.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    February 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Loved your list! This reminds me why you are my kick-ass favorite girl 😉 Ooh horror classic movies are also one of our guilty pleasures, we saw lately “I walked with a zombie”, and although it is definitely not the best film out there, was so fun to watch! LOL about 7, 17th is totally impressive I don’t know why but I get so girly dumb nervous with actors/actresses 😉 also it is so cool that you worked at a video store, that was my dream job as a kiddo 🙂 burlesque wow that was totally not expected hahaha & 28, 29 and 34 can’t get better!

February 21, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I love I Walked With a Zombie! Anything by Val Lewton. So good and moody. Yeah, I stayed at that video store way too long. It was a fun place to work, but also weird, like most small businesses.
      And yeah, I don’t talk about the burlesque thing much. I’m glad I got it out of my system, but I don’t know if I’d do it again.

Nerd Burger
    February 22, 2014 at 4:22 am

Love this post. I didn’t know you had so many tattoos. I love Bride of Frankenstein too.

February 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Actually, I have a Bride of Frankenstein tattoo planned, but I need to find the perfect artist first.

sophierocious
    February 22, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I love this list! Happy birthday!

My favorite band of all time is Joy Division. And I’m a skater too, but on roller skates. 🙂 I played roller derby for 3 years under the name of Joy D’Vicious! An homage to our favorite band!

February 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Are you kidding me? That is seriously awesome. You rock, girl!

February 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I’m lucky that I can cheat on my allergies if I’m really craving something, but I definitely miss being able to eat all the cheese and cream I could.

• Penny for your thoughts...