Some of you might have noticed that I removed my 35 Before 35 list from the sidebar. Others will have noticed that I only managed to complete 20% of tasks on my list, and all but one of those revolved around trips I had planned before I made up the list.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I am fail.
This could be down to any number of things. Being overly ambitious, poorly organized, unmotivated… Take your pick.
But what I realized over the past year was that instead of having an arbitrary list of things to do to mark my birthday, I think just reflecting on who I am now is a better way to go. It’s time to celebrate who I am now, not who I think I’m supposed to be.
And so, instead of 35 really ambitious things I’d like to do this year, here are:
35 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me
1. Mariko is actually my middle name.
2. I have 8 tattoos. A nautical star, a maple leaf, the Japanese letter for love, a chickadee, two hanafuda cards, the chemical structure of serotonin, the letter thorn, and the house I lived in after college with my best friends.
3. Rick is actually my second husband.
4. And his name isn’t really Rick.
5. I love classic horror films, especially The Bride of Frankenstein.
6. I also really like watching MMA.
7. My first cat was named Mitts and he was a jerk.
8. I have a weird birthmark on my neck that makes me look a bit like a Trill.
9. I speak English and French fluently, but not Japanese.
10. I have toe-thumbs, like Megan Fox.
11. Also, the knuckles in my ring fingers are lower than they should be.
12. I have one sister and one brother, both younger.
13. On the anniversary of Kurt Cobain’s death, I pierced my own ear cartilage.
14. It got infected a few weeks later and now I have a weird black dot on my ear.
15. I have a degree in English Literature, but I chose to focus on pre-18th century literature.
16. I am allergic to a dizzying number of foods, including chocolate, dairy products, oats, nuts, barley, quinoa, rye, citrus fruit, and eggs. Luckily, not fatally.
17. I got to open Hugh Jackman’s video rental account when I worked at an indie video store in Vancouver.
18. I figure skated 3 – 4 times a week between the ages of 13 & 18.
19. Although I like horror movies, I really hate being scared.
20. My favourite band of all time is still Joy Division.
21. I once did a burlesque act under the name “Sweet Lulu.”
22. Rick proposed to me over lobster roll sandwiches at a picnic in the park near our apartment.
23. I played the baritone in band for 3 years. I was never any good, but I kind of enjoyed it.
24. My mom is Japanese-Canadian (born in Vancouver) and my dad is Caucasian.
25. If pressed, I identify as hapa.
26. I had to sleep with a nightlight until I was 15.
27. My laugh is so distinct that total strangers can recognize it one week later.
28. I probably watched Star Wars over 100 times before I turned 4.
29. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a filmmaker.
30. I used to run underground film screenings when I lived in Vancouver.
31. Our first dance at my wedding to Rick was to a Japanese punk song.
32. I LOVE KARAOKE.
33. I made my own (vegan) wedding cake. I was the only way I could be sure I could eat it and that it would taste good.
34. I am a trivia queen.
35. My favourite book is The Hitchhiker’s Guide To the Galaxy.