So…. I’m about to have another birthday. And while I’d say in general I’m comfortable with aging, this year’s hit me a little harder than other recent birthdays. I found 30 to be a pretty good year, and I’ve relished telling people I’m in my thirties, mostly to see the absolute shock on their faces as my Asianess and my littleness make me look far younger. But for some reason, 35 has been tougher to reconcile.
Maybe it’s my rapidly declining fertility. Maybe it’s the fact that I just switched careers again and I feel like I’m starting from scratch. Maybe it’s just that as a geek you never really have to “grow up”. I dunno, but I remember joking with Rick while we were in Japan and I kept buying all sorts of super girly kawaii stuff that I never would have worn when I was younger that I was having my midlife crisis early.
That’s not to say I’m having a crisis or anything. It’s really more… ambivalence. It certainly doesn’t help that my birthday falls right in the dead of winter, when most people are already cracking due to the “winter blues.” Being so far from my family has made my birthday especially tough since I moved out here, but this year I’m treating myself to a trip out west next week for some family fun and a break from the brutalizing eastern winter. Hooray!
So, to celebrate being older, and ultimately wiser, I decided to make up another little wishlist of stuff I want, that some of you out there might also enjoy.
1. Lynda.com membership. I’ve been wanting to level up my programming and web design skills for a while now, so even a 3 month membership to Lynda.com would be great. I love the variety of the classes you can take there now, and the fact that it’s all at your own pace.
2. Comics! I miss having a pullbox at my local comic book store, but luckily my awesome blogger friends have been giving me all sorts of recommendations for what I should be reading. You should probably add the new Ms. Marvel & She-Hulk to that list 😉
3. Supernatural T-Shirt. My
infatuation obsession addiction to all things Supernatural has reached delirious heights as Rick and I finally finished Season 8 this week and should be caught up to the broadcast schedule by the end of the month. Obviously, I am a Cas-aholic, so this T-shirt really speaks to me.
4. Badger Brooch. I think the brooch is probably one of the most maligned pieces of jewelry these days, but I love how a slightly quirky brooch make a blazer go from formal to fashionable in a minute. Also, badgers don’t give a f*ck, which is an attitude I need to cultivate in myself a little more.
5. Notebooks! My fellow writers will understand that you can never have enough notebooks. Bonus if they are as cute and quirky as these.
7. Solar System Necklace. I love me some statement necklaces, especially when they are this nerdy and beautiful. Although I would have included Pluto. Just sayin’.