Style & Gift Guides

My Birthday Wishlist!

So…. I’m about to have another birthday. And while I’d say in general I’m comfortable with aging, this year’s hit me a little harder than other recent birthdays. I found 30 to be a pretty good year, and I’ve relished telling people I’m in my thirties, mostly to see the absolute shock on their faces as my Asianess and my littleness make me look far younger. But for some reason, 35 has been tougher to reconcile.

Maybe it’s my rapidly declining fertility. Maybe it’s the fact that I just switched careers again and I feel like I’m starting from scratch. Maybe it’s just that as a geek you never really have to “grow up”. I dunno, but I remember joking with Rick while we were in Japan and I kept buying all sorts of super girly kawaii stuff that I never would have worn when I was younger that I was having my midlife crisis early.

That’s not to say I’m having a crisis or anything. It’s really more… ambivalence. It certainly doesn’t help that my birthday falls right in the dead of winter, when most people are already cracking due to the “winter blues.” Being so far from my family has made my birthday especially tough since I moved out here, but this year I’m treating myself to a trip out west next week for some family fun and a break from the brutalizing eastern winter. Hooray!

So, to celebrate being older, and ultimately wiser, I decided to make up another little wishlist of stuff I want, that some of you out there might also enjoy.

Gamerwife's Birthday Wishlist

1. Lynda.com membership. I’ve been wanting to level up my programming and web design skills for a while now, so even a 3 month membership to Lynda.com would be great. I love the variety of the classes you can take there now, and the fact that it’s all at your own pace.

2. Comics! I miss having a pullbox at my local comic book store, but luckily my awesome blogger friends have been giving me all sorts of recommendations for what I should be reading. You should probably add the new Ms. Marvel & She-Hulk to that list 😉

3. Supernatural T-Shirt. My infatuation obsession addiction to all things Supernatural has reached delirious heights as Rick and I finally finished Season 8 this week and should be caught up to the broadcast schedule by the end of the month. Obviously, I am a Cas-aholic, so this T-shirt really speaks to me.

4. Badger Brooch. I think the brooch is probably one of the most maligned pieces of jewelry these days, but I love how a slightly quirky brooch make a blazer go from formal to fashionable in a minute. Also, badgers don’t give a f*ck, which is an attitude I need to cultivate in myself a little more.

5. Notebooks! My fellow writers will understand that you can never have enough notebooks. Bonus if they are as cute and quirky as these.

6. Talking PuppyCat. Remember that thing I said about my early midlife crisis? I blame Elyse.

7. Solar System Necklace. I love me some statement necklaces, especially when they are this nerdy and beautiful. Although I would have included Pluto. Just sayin’.

ariellalphabet
    February 19, 2014 at 9:06 am

Great selection! I love that Supernatural tee. I tend to have random obsessions with that show that come and go, but I’ll always love it!

February 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Thanks! I can’t even describe what’s so obsessive making about it, but I just can’t stop!

shawnajereemiller
    February 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Love your Wishlist! Happy birthday! I feel ya on be addicted to kawaii, looking young in your 30’s and your love for Cas! Xo have fun on your trip!

cuddlycactus
    February 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Oh man, Hawkeye is so good. I second the recommendation 100%!

As for notebooks– I can’t even be looking at the cute notebooks right now because I have probably about 20 blank ones right now. Never seems to stop me from buying more :X

And I STILL haven’t gotten the Puppycat! Argh, I need!

Elyse @ Cuddly as a Cactus

February 19, 2014 at 3:56 pm

You can never have too many notebooks. Never!

Joie Fatale
    February 19, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I saw something like this on the Nerdy Girlie’s site and I REALLY need to sit and make one of these! My birthday is coming up next week.

February 19, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I just started using Polyvore for making these spreads and it’s really fun and easy. You’ll be addicted before you know it. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Joie Fatale
    February 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm

(My phone ruined my reply) I feel you on the aging thing. But I don’t see it as mid life crisis. I see it as “f**k yeah I’m an adult and I can responsibly do as I please!”

And I love Cas too. And Crowley. And like to do impressions as Dean to my husband as he does Sam! Going to get that shirt one day! Have you seen the Dean/Akira one?

February 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm

*Googling…* omg <3

My husband knows that the best way to cheer me up is to say something in his Cas voice. He's even hinted at doing cosplay. I'd go as rule 63 Dean, of course.

February 19, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I LOVE the Saga books!! so good, I love when you first pick up the first book and flip through, you’re left saying “What theF*** is going on in here?!!” but then you read it through and it all makes sense and seems so in place.

Happy Birthday!

February 19, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Thank you! My penpal sent me the first issue for xmas and I totally fell in love. Now I need to catch up.

Stephanie Medeiros (@writerary)
    February 19, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Been learning Python currently and I’ve been looking up free tutorials and stumbled across a Lynda.com alternative called Alison.com. I’ve tried out some of their courses to varying degrees and the quality can be vastly different, like one basic course was a two-hour long lecture video while another was a wall of text. But, might be worth it just to get back into the coding game before that sweet Lynda membership!

February 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Nice. I’ll have to give that a look. Thanks for the recommendation!

Usagi
    February 20, 2014 at 1:18 am

Great picks! I’m on and off with Supernatural. I’m in the middle of season 6. I really want that puppycat!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

February 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Thank you! I really need to remember to pre-order that PuppyCat. So. Much. Need.

February 20, 2014 at 11:25 am

happy birthday lady! omg that talking puppy cat…! too adorable. i turned 35 this past december and it was ok… but turning 36 is kinda freaky.. definitely tipping toward forty.. i missed my chun li buns the other day and i thought to put it up the way i used to in college but then i stopped myself and i said.. wait.. is there a rule to when chun li buns are no longer acceptable? eh.. i think i’ll be chun li for today. 🙂

February 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Chun Li buns!!!!! Oh man, I miss being able to rock that style. Supid short hair. I guess extra large kawaii bow headband will have to do.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    February 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm

5 and 6 a totally must 🙂 🙂 but wait, I may also have a middle age crisis myself! I think another sign is when I look over actresses ages thinking “I look waaaay younger than her” hahaha ;p Happy for you to spend this birthday with your family!

February 21, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I usually don’t feel very young, but everyone keeps telling me I look younger than my age.

Nerd Burger
    February 22, 2014 at 6:06 am

I hope you get everything on your wishlist. Happy Birthday!

February 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Thank you, Cazz!

Kitsch Cait
    February 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm

That PuppyCat’s on my wishlist too, but they don’t ship to me! Waahh!
    Happy bornday, pretty lady! <3

February 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Thank you! And boo for not shipping to you.

sophierocious
    February 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I love that solar system necklace! Hope you had a lovely birthday!

February 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Thank you! Today is actually my birthday, but it’s going pretty great so far! Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

February 24, 2014 at 4:27 am

Sorry for the last wishes but super happy Birthday!!!!!

February 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Thank you, Fiona! You actually weren’t that late, since my birthday was actually Sunday. 😉