Geek Life Video Games

5 Co-Op Games To Play With Your Sweetie This Valentine’s Day

Happy Galentine’s Day y’all! While I know Valentine’s Day isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, I like to use it as a day to focus on all the different kinds of love that can brighten your day, romantic or not. Rick and I usually keep things pretty low-key, cooking a fancy meal for ourselves and then making a little time to do an activity together, whether it be taking a walk, going to the market or sitting down and playing some video games.

Since gaming is always more fun with friends (or sweeties), I thought I’d put together a little list of our favourite games to play together. And since I still kind of suck at playing video games, we have to avoid anything that involves a lot of shooting (so, no Team Fortress or Borderlands). And while we do play PC games on our own, I find that console games tend to give a better local co-op experiences, which is why there aren’t any RPGs or MMOs on this list. Which pretty much leaves us with beat ’em ups and platformers because they tend to be accessible, colourful, and most of all, FUN!

Little Big Planet (1 & 2) LittleBigPlanetYes, this one’s been out for an entire console cycle, but there’s a reason it’s still super popular. You and your partner get to play as Sackboys, cute customizable characters that get to run, jump and swing all over dozens of cardboard environments. Some levels have little puzzles to solve and while you can die if you’re paying attention, you’ll always respawn by the end of the level, which is crucial for a total noob like me. The game is endlessly inventive and the level creator means that anyone can create and share their own levels. Also, a big part of the game is collecting stickers to decorate the world with and new outfits to customize your Sackboys. There’s even a DC Comics costume pack that was released this week that includes Wonder Woman & Zatanna!!!

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game scottpilgrim Based on the film that is based on the comic, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game is a wonderful throwback to the arcade beat ’em ups that I used to play with my siblings at the local Chuck E. Cheese. The levels in the game follow the plot of the film pretty well, which each level ending with an Evil Ex boss fight. Again, not paying attention to your health will mean you’re down for the count, but your fellow players can revive you if they can keep the baddies at bay long enough. The game also gets bonus points from this Canuck for using Canadian currency in loot drops.

Castle Crashers Castle Crashers Another beat ’em up, Castle Crashers is fun and cartoony, but surprisingly challenging in places. Leveling and a variety of weapons to collect mean that there is can be some nuance to how you play (ranged vs. melee vs. magic), which can be especially fun when playing in larger groups. There are also super adorable animals you can find that will give you different buffs. Everything about this game is great, from the music to the art to the controls. Seriously, if you’ve never played it, do yourself a favour and give it a try.

LEGO Anything (Marvel Super Heroes, Star Wars, Batman, Etc.) lego-marvel-super-hero1 While ostensibly for kids, the LEGO games are simply charming little gems that anyone can have fun with. Multiplayer support just means everyone can join in on the fun, even if they suck at games like me. My only complaint with these games is that sometimes the camera can make figuring out where to go a little confusing, but there’s so many of these things out by now that there’s sure to be one that’ll appeal to you no matter what your favourite fandom is.

Bubble Bobble Bubble-Bobble-Marquee Yes, this is an oldie but a goodie. I cannot count the number of hours my sister and I wasted playing Bubble Bobble on the NES. While it was originally an arcade game, this one continues to be popular, even warranting an HD remake a few years ago. Blowing bubbles to trap baddies and then jumping on them to pop them is incredibly satisfying, especially when popping them rewards you with jewels and food. Sure, that theme song is maddening, but it sure is memorable.

What are your favourite local co-op games?

Hello, Sweetie!
    February 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Lego games are the BEST for couples (or friends)!

I’ve also been loving Left 4 Dead 2 with my sweetie. Something about keeping a jockey off each other’s backs is hopelessly romantic.

February 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Hehe. No doubt. I just hate that I suck so bad at shooters.

Hello, Sweetie!
        February 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Oh, I’m terrible! But we play off line. So I don’t get too embarassed.

February 13, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Aww, some of these look so cute!! Me and the mister have been playing Diablo 3 non stop for a couple of weeks, as well as Injustice. The lego games are always a fun one, (the Star Wars series is my fav) we really want to get the Marvel one though, as it looks totally RAD!

margotmeanie.com

February 14, 2014 at 12:04 am

Yeah, I haven’t even played the Marvel one yet, but it’s definitely on my wishlist. And I forgot Diablo had multiplayer support. That’s a good one.

B
    February 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Yes to anything LEGO! I picked up the Marvel game around the Holidays and I love it! It’s super fun!

February 14, 2014 at 12:05 am

Nice. Will definitely have to check it out.

sophierocious
    February 13, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Great ideas! The last game the bf and I played together was Borderlands 2!

February 14, 2014 at 12:06 am

Yeah, I haven’t quite worked up the confidence to give that one a try, but then again they did add the whole “girlfriend” difficulty level to that one so maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

Damaris / The cat, you and us
    February 14, 2014 at 10:02 am

We loved Rayman and DK for co-op. Bubble bobble is one of my all time favorite games! but I have still not convinced Dani to jump in my wagon 🙂

February 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Try out the HD remake of BB, it’s a digital download and still crazy fun! And yes, Rayman & DK are great co-op games. Even the new Raymans are fantastic.

February 14, 2014 at 10:16 am

so fun! we love little big planet and play it together from time to time. my husband wanted to play castle crashers but for some reason i never was sold! but i’ll have to rethink it. i also always like to play dr. mario with yangkyu. it’s so fun when i beat him! haha. but we recently picked up mario bros. again on the wii. i keep turning myself into a bubble so i don’t die but that’s ok. it’s still fun 🙂

February 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Haha! I totally forgot about Dr. Mario. I played the hell out of that game too. And I would give Castle Crashers another try. It supports up to 4 people, so maybe give it a try with a big group of people.

Miranda
    February 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Castle Crashers is so much fun!! My boyfriend and I play a lot lot lot of Mario for the Wii and Wii U. It’s awesome to find such joy in co-op with him as I did playing alone as a child!

February 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Awww… I love stories like that.

Amanda B.
    February 15, 2014 at 1:28 am

Great article Mariko! The boyfriend and I always play Castle Crashers together, but tonight we actually played The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. It’s a great Valentine’s co-op for us because it’s my favorite series, and we get to use Gameboy Advances which makes his retro gamer nerdy heart happy.

February 15, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Awesome! Yay for retro gaming!

Joie Fatale
    February 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Love all these games!
    Except Little Big Planet, as I haven’t played it yet (though, I bet I’d like it!).

February 18, 2014 at 9:42 pm

It’s sooo fun. Rick and I had the best time playing the first one on new year’s eve just after we moved in together while drinking TWO bottles of sake. So fun and cheerful, I’m sure you’ll love it.

Friday I'm In Love #73 - Gamerwife
    February 3, 2016 at 4:18 am

[…] my list of co-cop games to play with your sweetie? Amanda from Geekphoria has her own list of awesome co-cop games to play with your […]

• Penny for your thoughts...