Geek Life

Christmas 2013 TAG!

Tree Decorating
I don’t often do tags, but when I saw this one on Kitsch Vixen I thought it was so sweet I just had to share it with the rest of you.

1. Do you prefer a real Christmas tree or synthetic?
Real. 100% real. This has lead to me doing ridiculous things like carrying a 5’5″ tree 10 blocks by myself. However, our current tiny apartment and two rather rambunctious cats means that we’ve been treeless for the last couple of years. Sometimes we get a big ol’ rosemary plant trimmed to look like a tree and balance it on top of our gifts. Other times I’ve hung tiny ornaments on a Christmas cactus. And our most recent trick is to buy pine scented candles to fake the tree part.

2. You’re in a coffee shop, it’s December, what do you pick?
I’ve only recently discovered the gingerbread latte, but I’d probably just get what I always get and go with a soy latte.

3. What’s your favourite colour scheme for decorating a tree?
Colour scheme?

4. Giving or receiving?
I pretty much have to say giving, because saying receiving would make me sound like a total selfish d-bag, but all kidding aside, there’s a reason they say “it’s better to give than to receive.” Knowing you’ve found just the right thing for the people closest to you is incredibly satisfying. Much more so than just getting stuff.

5. To mince pie or not to?
My dad’s mom was English, I’m actually rather partial to mince pie. However, as a Canadian I also really love a good traditional butter tart. And, now that I’m married to a Quebecer and live in Quebec, tart au sucre has become a new Christmas classic.

6. What’s your traditional Christmas lunch?
My traditional Christmas lunch was usually no lunch. But that was usually because we’d have a giant brunch of finger foods and cheeses and sausages and boozy coffee. There was generally so much food that we’d have to fast through the afternoon to leave room for dinner.

7. Christmas day fashion?
Pajamas. Usually flannel, often opened the night before. This year I purchased a cute dress in Japan to wear to our big dinner with Rick’s family.

8. What’s your favourite Christmas song?
I know it’s not explicitly a Christmas song, but I really love listening to 2,000 Miles by The Pretenders this time of year. And, of course, Fairytale of New York by The Pogues.

9. What’s your favourite Christmas film?
Gremlins? I also have a tradition of watching Bad Santa at midnight on the 24th while drinking eggnog (with extra nog).

10. Open presents before or after lunch?
Before. But we definitely had some rules about opening presents in our house. First, my brother and sister and I were allowed to open one present each on Christmas eve. Then, in the morning we were only allowed to open the gifts that were in our ridiculously large stockings (made by my mom). The rest of the “tree” presents could only be opened once mom and dad were up.

Makeup Pixi3 created this tag, and now I tag all of you! If you create a post, please link it in the comments or just put your answers in a comment.

December 12, 2013 at 11:40 am

how fun! i love this type of posts. i agree about the giving part. i love it when i hit the nail with a gift. although it’s super hard with my husband. i never know what he wants..!

December 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I have to admit, I am totally stumped on what to get Rick this year. I guess that’s the problem of knowing someone “too well”.

December 13, 2013 at 3:58 am

I’d love a real tree, unfortunately, actually probably fortunately I’m dating someone who thinks chopping down a tree for Christmas is a bad idea (I still think it’s not such a bad idea :P). I keep seeing on blogs people going Christmas tree shopping, aka going to a field and selecting a tree, we don’t really have that here in Australia – it looks like so much fun though. I imagine overseas they specifically grow trees to be cut down – which of course we have here in Australia – pine plantations and the such- though they’re not catered to the Christmas tree buyers 😛

December 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I remember seeing something a while ago about how Christmas tree farms were actually a really important source of oxygen and that the industry was actually pretty good for the environment. Like, without the industry behind it, those are trees that wouldn’t be planted at all. But yeah, cutting down a tree just to bring it inside does seem sort of counter intuitive.

Kitsch Vixen
    December 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I had rules too! I wasn’t allowed to wake up my parents until after 5am and I wasn’t allowed to go downstairs until my room was clean (ugh!). My mom would come in and examine it and then we’d do stockings while eating Breakfast, but I wouldn’t really eat anything so I needed to have eaten a whole piece of coffee cake and some fruit before opening the presents under the tree. I’m pretty sure if/when I have kids, they’ll have the same rules. 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Yeah, I’m definitely implementing the Xmas Eve rule if we have kids. I’m not sure how I’d get them to bed if I didn’t. lol

Christmas 2013 Tag! |
    December 18, 2013 at 2:46 am

[…] on December 18, 2013 by sophierocious I saw this Christmas Tag on Gamerwife and decided to join […]

Christmas 2013 Tag! |
    June 10, 2014 at 12:35 am

[…] in Uhhh… by sophierocious I saw this Christmas Tag on Gamerwife and decided to join […]

• Penny for your thoughts...