Geek Life Video Games

My Voice Acting Experience

Voice Over Experience Recording Booth

Voice Over Experience Recording Booth

So, as I hinted back before our trip to Tokyo, I had somehow managed to find myself cast as a voice actor in Tribute Game’s new action platformer Mercenary Kings. Despite my rather… limited experience as a voice actor (more on that later), I managed to get cast as the female lead, Empress. A bad-ass mercenary chick who likes big guns and kicking ass:
Mercenary Kings Empress

That’s me!

Even though sound designer Jean Chan and the engineers did their best to put me at ease, it was tough not feeling like I was going to fuck up the game with my lack of voice acting experience. I really like Jean and Tribute and the game, so I felt a lot of pressure to “be as good as the game.”

Basically, I got to stand in the recording studio and read off my lines from a monitor in the corner. There isn’t a ton of dialogue in the game, so I was really only doing reactions and pickups, but it was pretty nerve-wracking none the less. Not to say I didn’t have a blast, but it did take me a while before I managed to find my confidence.

Voice Over Experience Sound Engineer

It was really weird hearing my voice being played back to me in between takes, but it was really fun getting to embody a tough mercenary chic, if only for a few hours. I’m really grateful to Jean and the whole Tribute Team for the opportunity.

It was certainly better than my last voice acting experience:

See, the company I worked for at the time was generally too cheap to hire professional voice actors, so random people from the company were regularly asked to take time out of their actual jobs to record pickups (without compensation, natch). And so it was that I found myself trying to do “girly” voices for a sexy poker game.

Please note these comments from a Kotaku article on the trailer for the game.

Kotaku Comments

The two voices referenced. Those were both me.

October 11, 2013 at 6:46 am

Oh my goodness this made me laugh! I actually thought your girly voices were super awesome! Be mega rad if you posted a clip when Mercenary Kings comes out…I reckon your voice skills will be killer 🙂

Jane
    October 11, 2013 at 10:51 am

oh my goodness! the video and the comments made me laugh! but kudos to you!! after i started copying the voice of mog on chocobo’s dungeons my husband told me to try out for voice acting but i don’t think i would have the guts to it and my husband is biased. i would love to see a video of your voice acting for mercenary kings when it’s out! so rad you got to play the female lead!

October 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The producers have made clip available online! http://instagram.com/p/fVTj1sHHoK/

October 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm

That’s so awesome! congratulations 🙂 I think you have a great voice for video games!

October 11, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Thank you, Fiona! That’s very sweet of you to say.

Crystal Clark (@geekpinata)
    October 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

What an awesome experience!

October 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

It was pretty crazy. I’m not sure how I’m going to be able to play it now without being totally weirded out.

Damaris // The cat, you and us
    October 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

This post is awesome! So funny how you explain everything. Your first voice experience and having to say “It looks like I have to remove some clothes” not the best for sure 😛 but hilarious how you take it! 🙂 kudos! 🙂 And how great is to be the Empress in the Mercenary Kings!!!! I love cooperative platform games, your voice is a (rad!) plus to look into the game.

October 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thank you, Damaris. I’m glad you liked the article. I’m still a little bit in awe that this is really happening, since it will be really weird to think that all these people playing it will hearing my voice.